• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom CC Issues after Install – For Windows Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

clee01l

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
If you are a Windows user and are having issues with the new Subscription LRCC app after successfully installing , Please post your issue here and we will attempt to resolve and post a Solution. Before adding your issue to this thread, please review the previous posts (especially any posted Solutions) before adding your item to this thread.

Thanks, but files edited in Topaz are still not working, correct?

That is correct Jim, not working for edited files from Topaz. Sorry for slow reply, but work gets in the way. :)

Kind regards,
Darlene

The test failed when going from Dev to Topaz and back to LR. Again, the images show adjustments in the Gallery module, but not in the Dev module. This was not the case prior to the upgrade. Any suggestions?

One last question - are you doing your Topaz work in CC PhotoShop 15 or are using Topaz Fusion Express to do it directly in LR?
Try the other.
Also, check your "external edit " preferences. Send a 16 bit tiff over to Photoshop. You should get a tiff back. That works well on my Windows system.

One last question - are you doing your Topaz work in CC PhotoShop 15 or are using Topaz Fusion Express to do it directly in LR?
Try the other.

I use Topaz photoFXlab (PFL) and not Fusion Express (FE). FE is limited to one plug-in at a time whereas PFL allows access to all of the Topaz plugins and layer masking adjustments. FE does work (just checked), but limits my workflow too much, thus the reason for purchasing PFL.

Also, check your "external edit " preferences. Send a 16 bit tiff over to Photoshop. You should get a tiff back. That works well on my Windows system.

Additional External Editor set as preset photoFXlab (64 bit);
application: photoFXlab.exe;
File Format: TIFF;
Color Space: ProPhoto RGB;
Bit Depth: 16 bits/componet
Resolution: 240
Compression: none

CC 2015 set to 16 bits as well.

Last edited:
So just to make sure I've got this right, if you edit in PS CC2015 or Topaz using FE then everything works as expected. But if you Edit in Topaz using PEL then you get the issue of Lightroom adjustments not showing on the Tiff in the Develop Module, but they do show in the Library Module. Restarting Lightroom then allows the adjustments to be seen in Develop.

Have I got anything wrong there, as I want to make sure Adobe get the full picture (bad pun not intended)?

So just to make sure I've got this right, if you edit in PS CC2015 or Topaz using FE then everything works as expected. But if you Edit in Topaz using PEL then you get the issue of Lightroom adjustments not showing on the Tiff in the Develop Module, but they do show in the Library Module. Restarting Lightroom then allows the adjustments to be seen in Develop.

Have I got anything wrong there, as I want to make sure Adobe get the full picture (bad pun not intended)?

That is all correct, Jim.
Thank you again for your help and guidance.

Kind regards,
Darlene

Thanks. One more question....do you have "Automatically write changes into XMP" enabled in your catalog settings? If you do, have you tried turning it off, restarting Lightroom, then try the Edit in Topaz using PEL again.

Thanks. One more question....do you have "Automatically write changes into XMP" enabled in your catalog settings? If you do, have you tried turning it off, restarting Lightroom, then try the Edit in Topaz using PEL again.

No Jim, I do not have "Automatically write changes into XMP" enabled; never have.

When using the edit in function in v2015.1, I've noticed a latency when returning from the called external editor to LR. The Preview does not immediately update. However it does eventually refresh with the changes from the external editor. I have attributed this to large panoramic compressed TIFF images that approach 2GB in size and not just the preview refresh process. I haven't paid attention to non-panos coming back from PSCC which are still ~200MB in size. Could this be similar to what you have been experiencing?

And a question from me. When you have the Topaz result in LR and the Preview does not show the updated Topaz changes. If you use finder to open that same file in Preview, do you see the Topaz changes? I'm thinking that LR perhaps is not getting its cue to update the preview. I've seen this happen before in earlier versions of LR5. If so it is not the first time old bugs that were fixed only to reappear in the next version.

Last edited:
Good news!

I just ran a new edit to Topaz after shutting down LR because it appeared to be updating or something (twitchy).
Now when I bring the Topaz edited photo back into LR at first no edits show, but when I advance to the next image while in Dev mode, the Topaz adjustments are showing up!

Thank you,thank you!!

Kind regards,
Darlene

Last edited:
Updated to PSCC and LRCC 2015 tonite. I had a commercial shoot to edit and I've never seen LR crash as many times in my 7 years of using it as it did tonight.
It would crash when I moved from one photo to the next. It would crash when I finished cropping an image and clicked the tool to do so. I'd get black screens between operations constantly and at least 20 times while editing 86 images ...got "An unexpected error has caused ...."
In addition it is still grading photos on its own just like the last version. Put one star on a photo and it automatically puts numerous stars on the next one and lands on the one after that.
What should have taken an hour of editing tonight took nearly 4. I edited a couple in PS and that worked OK except when I clicked save I got a where to ..dialog instead of it just saving and returning to LR. I actually had to import them back into LR. I think they turned the herd loose too far before dawn and too close to the cliff this time. Lost a few for sure! Some files won't even export. I had to stall a customer 3 times while trying to get things to work. I'd promised it by 9:30 PM and didn't deliver until nearly 11 and their submission deadline may be past already. Not good.
Is there any way to get the old version back and use it until they get this one sorted out?
jj

Before you revert (which is a simple matter of starting LR5 rather than LR CC 2015, as the LR5 catalog still exists after the upgrade), try going to Edit>Preferences>Performance tab and uncheck the "Use Graphics Processor" option if it's checked. Then see if that stops the crashing....

Thanks Jim. Just did that and navigated around some photos and no crash yet so appears to be helping. I'll know better after next shoot and edit but looks promising.
I had that turned on then off in earlier version so I guess it is default on the new.
Jay

Another problem cropping up that I didn't want to mention until I found out about the performance issue in case it was related.
On importing NEF files they appear fine for a split second then they dim anywhere from 0.5 stops to 1.7 stops. I have no import preset selected and if I zero the settings there is no change.
The same files opened in IRFANVIEW display about what I expected. Here's a comparison:
Irfanview:
attachment.php

Here's same one that started out looking like that in LR but immediately dimmed and had all the shadows block up:
attachment.php

The overall performance of LR has slowed to a crawl again as well ...taking up to 15 seconds to display a raw file in the develop module and up to 30 seconds to open the import dialog from the library module. I was using brushes to open some shadows too, and it could take 1-3 seconds for the strokes to reveal themselves.

This is becoming a very challenging workflow. My task manager tells me the computer isn't even breaking a sweat but LR seems to be walking in quicksand. Irfanview just flies through files, as does Windows Explorer. Situation seems to be isolated to LR. Checked the graphics processor again and that setting is disabled.

Sure would like to know how to get back to a productive workflow and not be fighting the program ...and losing.

Thanks,

Attachments

• JJL_5253 NEF IRFANVIEW.jpg
    JJL_5253 NEF IRFANVIEW.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 479
  • JJL_5253 NEF LR.jpg
    JJL_5253 NEF LR.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 444
Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have Active-D lighting enabled in your camera? That's about the only Nikon in-camera setting which can impact on the raw file. If it's enabled, try disabling it for your next shoot.

Yes ...active d lighting was enabled. I have shot with it enabled through the earlier versions of LR and never had that happen. I nearly always use it for shooting equestrian sports ...bright sun, dark horses etc.
Is this something they are going to fix? I'm honestly at the point where I'll have to revert the earlier version if this and the performance issues aren't going to be resolved. I'm presuming you have a pipeline to the developers and hope you have some encouraging news. Hard to believe a free program like Irfanview would accurately import an image and LR can't do it.
Thanks,

Yes ...active d lighting was enabled. I have shot with it enabled through the earlier versions of LR and never had that happen. I nearly always use it for shooting equestrian sports ...bright sun, dark horses etc.
Is this something they are going to fix? ...
Active D-Lighting makes photo site micro adjustments to the highlight and shadows. The micro adjustments are stored in the Mfgs Notes Section of the EXIF. The in camera software reads these adjustments and adjust the shadows and highlights accordingly to produce the JPEG that you see on the camera back and in the JPEG thumbnail that is included with the RAW data. CNX2/NX-D also read these micro adjustments and can produce a file similar to the in camera JPEG. No app besides those develop by Nikon reads this extra information. If you take a consensus of most Nikon RAW shooters, even those that do not use Adobe products, the recommendation is to turn this off if you are shooting RAW (even for NX-D).

Adobe is not going to fix this for LR. Because they rightly contend that nothing is broken. If you have never noticed this shift from the JPEG processed thumbnail to the LR default development version, you have not been paying close attention. Here is a post from our "Tips & Tricks" from 2008 Why did Lightroom 'ruin' my photo? This discusses the differences seen in the initial JPEG thumbnail and the first LR render.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back