• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom CC Issues after Install – For Windows Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

clee01l

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
If you are a Windows user and are having issues with the new Subscription LRCC app after successfully installing , Please post your issue here and we will attempt to resolve and post a Solution. Before adding your issue to this thread, please review the previous posts (especially any posted Solutions) before adding your item to this thread.

Thank you Jim. I'm not sure where such a setting is, although I have heard that the Intel card is the default, and that the NVidia card only kicks in when a programme asks for it. For example in Photoshop CC the NVidia card is being used, automatically, without me telling the programme to choose it.

Richard, I'm not sure either. If it was my system I'd probably be delving into various adapter properties/settings, but I'm not proficient enough to provide advice. What I will do is ask the question of Adobe as to what determines which adapter is used. If I hear back I'll try to let you know.

Jeff (and Cliff too if you're still watching), it looks like a very similar problem has been reported at the Adobe official bug-reporting feedback site:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photo...s-after-each-develop-edit-potential-data-loss

Suggest you go there and add your vote/"me too" to that report...the more people report having the problem, the more attention the problem's going to get.

It was me too. I thought I had solved it with a reinstall of LR6 but I made the mistake of then editing my DNG file rather than the TIFF from Nik. I have followed your link and added my 2 cents worth. Thanks for the pointer.

Victoria suggests maybe trying to sign out/sign in to the CC desktop app. Instructions are here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/sign-in-out-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html

That's with Lightroom closed down. If it's still the same after restarting, close it again, sign out of the CC app again, but don't sign in yet. Instead logon to your Adobe account, you'll probably be still logged in, so do a logout/login again, then back to the CC desktop app, sign in again there, then start Lightroom again. Is it still the same?

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the delayed response. I've just followed your instructions and I have a new window that says I can try the product for 358 days and then purchase when the trial runs out. I have 3 choices 'Join Now', 'License this software' or 'Start trial'. It's obvious to me that I should click 'Start Trial' but after all the shenanigans, I'm not sure :/

I guess the elongated trial period relates to the one year's free subscription that you received, so that sounds about right. As to whether to start or not, that's entirely up to you of course. Bear in mind that it's usually only the people having problems that will be posting. The majority will be quietly working away exploring the new features.

But it's your choice.

Nope...didn't work. Still 21 days left. Getting seriously fed up with this debacle now and wish there was an alternative.

And that 21 days is for the mobile element, yes? Maybe the issue is to do with the "free one years subscription" not automatically setting the mobile feature to the same 365 days...I didn't realise that in fact your LRCC was running in an extended trial mode, not in the fully paid-up subscription mode. Were you planning to use the Lrmobile element? If not, just go the ID Plate area, right-click on it and change the ID plate to Lightroom....then you won't see any annoying messages about the Mobile Trial period.

Thank you Jim. I'm not sure where such a setting is, although I have heard that the Intel card is the default, and that the NVidia card only kicks in when a programme asks for it. For example in Photoshop CC the NVidia card is being used, automatically, without me telling the programme to choose it.

Richard, I had a response back from the engineers, and they said that Lightroom basically asks the OS for a card that meets the requirements, and if the on-board card meets those requirements, it is selected. It would seem that Lightroom isn't as smart as Photoshop with regard to GPU detection.

The recommendation, for Windows users in your situation, is to consult the video card manufacturer's driver documentation for instructions on how to set a specific card to be the primary video card on their system.

And that 21 days is for the mobile element, yes? Maybe the issue is to do with the "free one years subscription" not automatically setting the mobile feature to the same 365 days...I didn't realise that in fact your LRCC was running in an extended trial mode, not in the fully paid-up subscription mode. Were you planning to use the Lrmobile element? If not, just go the ID Plate area, right-click on it and change the ID plate to Lightroom....then you won't see any annoying messages about the Mobile Trial period.

Now I've really buggered it up Jim - I thought I'd uninstall everything and go back to very beginning (university portal) and start again. That didn't work - it won't accept my redemption code (already used) and I can't find any way of re-installing the CC desktop when logged in at Adobe. I guess I'll have to lose my 'free year' and pay the subscription.

I told you I should be kept away from computers.

You could try talking to Adobe Customer Support to see if they'll give you a new redemption code?

Well, after MUCH consternation and time spent, I learned about renaming the SLCache and SLStore. Finally got it working! Since I'm on a first generation Surface Pro (Intel Graphics 4000). I disabled GPU acceleration. Won't have time to actually dive deeper until tomorrow, but relieved to finally have it up.

Pleased it's finally working, but I thought you'd already done that SLCache thing?

An answer for Richard with his Nvidia card. This is using what Nvidia calls Optimus technology, if you right click on the desktop and open the Nvidia control panel in the Manage 3d section you can select a programme to customise, pick Lightroom, and select the preferred Graphics processor, pick the video card, for the program to use.

Neil

Photo Merge - Panorama fails to merge properly taken set of images.

LR 6 only finds 6 of 8 images; exporting to PS and using default photomerge finds all 8. Or tells me it doesn't have enough information to do the merge, yet PS works with the same images.

I've been working on a series of 360 degree panos, each 8 shots 45 degrees apart at 30mm focal length. I adjust exposures a bit then send them to PS and fire off the photomerge. Rarely it will fail to merge all 8 images, in which case it will present me with a document that shows what it was able to merge in seperate parts, which I can usually manually place good enough to use. Often my pre merge exposure tweaking isn't quite good enough and sections will show darker or lighter than the neighboring section.

The new LR 6 merge worked great, except that is failed to include half of the images. the result looked great, but was worthless without the other 4 images. First it told me it couldn't find the lens, but in the look up provided, I found my lens and set the profile I needed. This time it found 6 of the eight images and tied them nicely together. But again worthless for my purposes because two are missing. I noticed that turning on the lens profile is apparently locked to a single image; I didn't find any way to tell LR that I always want the lens profile loaded. In any case, I set the lens profile on for each of the eight images, but still got the same result.
So, since the missing two maybe needed some exposure tweaking, I went over them again, but once again, it left out two of the images, although the resulting overall exposure was better.
The attached photo shows two attempts to use the LR merge and in the middle the result from shipping to PS for the merge.

Moving on to another set, I got a LR message that there wasn't enough information -- but PS had no problem.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• LR6 Pano error.JPG
    LR6 Pano error.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 531
  • LR6 Pano error 2.JPG
    LR6 Pano error 2.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 609
Last edited by a moderator:
Catalog backup fails to complete.

I have not been able to get a completed backup for my catalog ever since installing LR6, nor since LR6.0.1. LR "hangs" and can only be stopped by using Task Manager. This happens with and without "optimise" and/or "check for integrity". The catalog size is about 4GB, about 25k images and has also been optimised separately)
The Backup task bar progresses until about 3/4 complete "copying catalog" then just sits there.
I've watched Task Manager while the backup was in action - LR's CPU usage goes from practically zero to about 23% then the "not responding" message appears in Task Manager.
I have tried changing the destination drive for backup but get the same result.
In each of the backup folders, there is a file called LR6.lrcat (the same size as my LR6 catalog), and a file called LR6.lrcat.zip.a03064, where the "a03064" characters change for each attempt.
When the "copied" catalog is opened in LR, everything seems to be ok , so it looks like it's just the zipping action is the point at which LR is stalling.

I've also tried with smaller catalogs, new catalogs, different drives, etc,etc and backup completes successfully with the smaller catalogs.

Any ideas?

PS: please ignore the LR version in my profile, I've yet to update it

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I have a feeling that I've seen a recent discussion about a potential problem with the new catalog zipping process on large catalogs, if I can find it I'll report back. In the meantime, suggest you take manual backups (or include the catalog in your system-wide backup process). That's the only workaround I can suggest for now.

Just found the discussion here. Looks like the engineering team are already on the case.

Hi Jim, thanks for the super-quick response! I'd already reported this on the same forum but in a different thread, getting no response, so I'm relieved that it's being looked at. The unzipped backup copy is actually ok, so the only way I'm worse off compared to LR5 is having to use Task Manager to get LR CC to finish.

Is it worth adding my experience to the thread you linked to, or is there enough agitation to get a result?

Well, I've already posted in that thread to mention your problem, then Bob Frost (well known poster over there) has jumped in with the same problem, so hopefully that adds even more traction.

Map Module and GPU

I've just made a discovery that I don't think I've seen reported here. Upgraded from LR Standalone 5.71 to CC 6.01 recently because I needed to go to 6 to process images from a new camera. Had no problems installing LR CC and getting my old catalog running on the new version. Everything I've done in my usual workflow seems to be normal and I can now process images from the new camera (Nikon D7200).

Here's the actual issue: When I opened the Map module to check on the locations of some new images, no map was displayed. I was stuck staring at a blank, white screen where the map should be. Waited awhile, checked the network connection, etc. Tried a different set of images, no dice; just a blank, white screen. Went to the Preferences/Performance. Use GPU was checked, but there was an error message saying that the GPU use was disabled. I thought that would be the same as having the box unchecked, but I unchecked it anyway. Restarted LR and back to the Map module and it worked perfectly!

Bottom line, if your Map module won't display maps, try unchecking the GPU use box. Cheers,

Have the Photographers subscription based license to both Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC 2014. I'm having the same problem with both applications. Each time I launch one of the applications, either one I have to revalidate the license and sign-in again, even if I just exited the program 5 minutes before. On my laptop, this makes it virtually useless since I have to be connected to the internet every time I launch an ap.

I tried uninstalling the Creative Cloud Ap and both Photoshop and Lightroom and then reinstalling all from scratch. Still having the problem.

Lightroom version: 6.0 [1014445]
License: Perpetual
Operating system: Windows 7 Business Edition
Version: 6.1 [7601]
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 3.4 GHz
Built-in memory: 32721.9 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32721.9 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 605.5 MB (1.8%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 573.1 MB
Memory cache size: 182.8 MB
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: No
Displays: 1) 1920x1200, 2) 1920x1200
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No
Graphics Processor Info:
GeForce GTX 660/PCIe/SSE2
Check OpenGL support: Passed
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 347.52
Renderer: GeForce GTX 660/PCIe/SSE2
LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom
Library Path: L:\Lightroom Catalogs\New Master Catalog\New Master Catalog-2.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom
Installed Plugins:
1) Behance
2) Canon Tether Plugin
3) Export to Photomatix Pro
4) HDR Efex Pro 2
5) Imagenomic Portraiture
6) Lightroom to SlideShowPro Director
7) Perfect B&&W 9
8) Perfect Effects 9
9) Perfect Enhance 9
10) Perfect Photo Suite 9
11) Perfect Portrait 9
12) Perfect Resize 9
Config.lua flags: None
Adapter #1: Vendor : 10de
D

Dell XPS17 Laptop i7- Windows 8.1 -8Gb RAM- Lightroom-CC Photoshop-CC(2014) Norton-360.

Problem- "Edit in Photoshop" [CTRL+E] opens Photoshop program but not the selected image. Error message- "The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop-CC 2014 could not be launched"
attachment.php

Photoshop is running.!!

Strangely, If I click on the error message [OK] then the image does open in Photoshop.
I have tried-
Logging out of the Creative Cloud desktop app, logging back in.
Uninstalling and re-installing Photoshop.

Problem persists. Searching for answers.

Attachments

• ScreenShot003.jpg
    ScreenShot003.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 470
Last edited by a moderator:
Latest patch 6.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back