• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom CC Issues after Install – For OS X Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

clee01l

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
If you are an OS X user and are having issues with the new Subscription LRCC app after successfully installing , Please post your issue here and we will attempt to resolve and post a Solution. Before adding your issue to this thread, please review the previous posts (especially any posted Solutions) before adding your item to this thread.

It will help with the diagnosis if you will navigate the LR Menu to {Help}{System Info...} and copy, then paste the information found there into your question posted here as a reply.

Last edited:
I am noticing that when I am in the Develop module and trying to move from image to image (say, using the right arrow key), the preview on the second monitor either takes a long time (2-6 seconds) to become clear or in some cases never gets perfectly in focus. In the latter case I need to move off of the given image and move back on to have the 2nd monitor preview be completely rendered clearly. Turning on or off the GPU acceleration seems to have no bearing on this. When moving from image to image in Library view, the 2nd monitor preview is virtually instantaneous (with and without GPU acceleration).

I let LR CC convert my LR 5 catalog, so presumably it is using my old previews (I am using the default setup of having the catalog file and all preview files in the same place).

I am noticing that when I am in the Develop module and trying to move from image to image (say, using the right arrow key), the preview on the second monitor either takes a long time (2-6 seconds) to become clear or in some cases never gets perfectly in focus. In the latter case I need to move off of the given image and move back on to have the 2nd monitor preview be completely rendered clearly. Turning on or off the GPU acceleration seems to have no bearing on this. When moving from image to image in Library view, the 2nd monitor preview is virtually instantaneous (with and without GPU acceleration).

I let LR CC convert my LR 5 catalog, so presumably it is using my old previews (I am using the default setup of having the catalog file and all preview files in the same place).
I've had this same issue in LR5 and I have seen it intermittently in LRCC.

I am experiencing weird behavior in the Library Module, Grid View. On the first two occasions that I have downloaded and imported images from a CF card in a Nikon D810, I am getting strange sorting behavior. The images in Grid View are out of order from the sequence taken. Attempts to re-sort based on capture time and file name have been unsuccessful. And looking at the metadata it seems that some of the capture times are wrong. I have checked the time zone setting in the camera and re-formatted the card prior to shooting.

In the first case the images showed up in weird order in the Lightroom Import Dialog. In the second case the images seemed to be in order in the Lightroom Import Dialog.

Is there a LRCC bug that is causing metadata from a CF card to be read incorrectly?

I am using a MacBook Pro early 2013 with OS X 10.3.3.

It's definitely not a specific LRCC issue, as I see it in both LR5 and LRCC. What you're initially seeing on the second monitor is the library preview, which will be of unknown size (may be 1:1, may be standard, may even be a thumbnail preview). You'll also be seeing the same on the main screen, but any softness may not be as noticeable if the viewing area is less than the viewing area of the second monitor.

On the main monitor, that library preview is quickly replaced by one of Smart Preview/ACR Cache entry/DNG Fast Load Data....which will look reasonably sharp in Fit view on the main screen which is presumably a smaller viewing area. Finally, several seconds later, both the main window and the second window get the fully rendered Develop preview. You can see this process better if you view in 1:1 on the main screen, you should see the final sharp image appearing several seconds after first loading, and that sharp image appears at the same time as it does on the second monitor.

But it seems to me that the second monitor doesn't get that second stage preview, so if the library preview size is too small for the viewing area of the second monitor, it will be upscaled to fit and thus look very soft....and it will stay that way until the final develop preview is ready.

This may have all started with the introduction of Smart Previews in LR5, when the develop loading process was changed....or it may still be there back in LR4. I haven't checked (and don't plan to).

I am experiencing weird behavior in the Library Module, Grid View. On the first two occasions that I have downloaded and imported images from a CF card in a Nikon D810, I am getting strange sorting behavior. The images in Grid View are out of order from the sequence taken. Attempts to re-sort based on capture time and file name have been unsuccessful. And looking at the metadata it seems that some of the capture times are wrong. I have checked the time zone setting in the camera and re-formatted the card prior to shooting.

In the first case the images showed up in weird order in the Lightroom Import Dialog. In the second case the images seemed to be in order in the Lightroom Import Dialog.

Is there a LRCC bug that is causing metadata from a CF card to be read incorrectly?

I am using a MacBook Pro early 2013 with OS X 10.3.3.
With my D810, I usually import from an SD card in a card reader. and when I use my CF card, I always use a card reader too. I have not noticed this behavior. The D810 has a large buffer, so it is possible that the image file is getting written the camera card slightly out of order. Also, when your computer is pulling the images from the card, the CPU will use multiple cores and LR will create several threads to attend to several individual files at once. This would create differences between the added order and the Capture time.

I would suggest that you use an EXIF Viewing tool to view the date fields in the original image (preferably the one on the card created by the camera). And compare them with the date field shown in LR. Please note that the EXIF format has several date type fields. So, be sure that you check all of them. If the timestamps are the same in LR as on the original card, then there is no issue with LR.

The second thing that I would suggest is that you not use the camera for a card reader. The camera battery has a limited number of charge cycles before it needs replacing and needs to have a full charge to transfer data to the computer. Quite a few people report transfer issues when using the camera as a card reader and this is with any camera not specifically a D810.

One other question: Are you shooting bursts of images in continuous mode and observing this timestamp sort issue? If so, could the timing difference be at the millisecond level and perhaps LR is not storing enough significant digits?

It's definitely not a specific LRCC issue, as I see it in both LR5 and LRCC. What you're initially seeing on the second monitor is the library preview, which will be of unknown size (may be 1:1, may be standard, may even be a thumbnail preview). You'll also be seeing the same on the main screen, but any softness may not be as noticeable if the viewing area is less than the viewing area of the second monitor.

On the main monitor, that library preview is quickly replaced by one of Smart Preview/ACR Cache entry/DNG Fast Load Data....which will look reasonably sharp in Fit view on the main screen which is presumably a smaller viewing area. Finally, several seconds later, both the main window and the second window get the fully rendered Develop preview. You can see this process better if you view in 1:1 on the main screen, you should see the final sharp image appearing several seconds after first loading, and that sharp image appears at the same time as it does on the second monitor.

But it seems to me that the second monitor doesn't get that second stage preview, so if the library preview size is too small for the viewing area of the second monitor, it will be upscaled to fit and thus look very soft....and it will stay that way until the final develop preview is ready.

This may have all started with the introduction of Smart Previews in LR5, when the develop loading process was changed....or it may still be there back in LR4. I haven't checked (and don't plan to).

Jim,

Thanks for the detailed explanation of how LR handles previews. On my main monitor I do, indeed, have LR set to "fit" the image, which of course is smaller than the full-screen image on the second monitor.

Two things seem to be different after the move to LRCC (things I never recalled seeing in LR 4 or 5):
1. On some (but not all) images, the second monitor image doesn't just start "soft" but starts pixelated with pixels of about 1/4" square!

2. On other images, no matter what quality the preview displayed starts at (slightly soft or large pixels), the image NEVER sharpens up completely. I let it sit for 5 minutes and the image stayed soft. The only way to have it sharpen completely was to arrow to another image and then immediately arrow back...after returning to the image in question it was essentially perfectly sharp immediately. It's as if the 1:1 preview was built but not fully displayed until I left the image and then returned to it.

The second issue was, I'm pretty sure, reported during the LR5 cycle.

As to the first issue, any chance you can try to grab a screenshot? I'm thinking this may be images for which only a small thumbnail preview is in the cache, which would look pixelated when expanded to fit a large monitor. But that's only a guess.

Hmmmm...can't seem to reproduce it this morning yet. I'm wondering if while LR was running in the background (which it did for several hours after I reported the issue) it wasn't creating some previews that weren't there before. I always have built (at least) standard previews, so I'm puzzled that there would be images with only a small thumbnail preview, but perhaps my cache is (was?) somewhat corrupt? I suppose I could delete the previews and just let LRCC rebuild them all....

Don't do that yet. The thing most users don't realise is that when you take an image into Develop and make an edit, the existing Library preview is replaced by a new one (makes sense, right?), but that new one is only thumbnail-sized. Now normally, when you view images in the Library module, any "below-standard-size" previews that are visible in the grid or filmstrip are automatically upgraded to the standard-size as specified in the catalog settings, but that doesn't seem to happen in the case of images which have beed edited. So they remain smaller until rebuilt or until the image is next opened in the Loupe.....so that could be happening for some of the images, i.e. the original standard preview has been ditched, so the first time you open that image in Loupe you'll see a small delay while a standard preview is rebuilt.

BUT....if the size of the window on your second monitor is larger (in pixel terms) than your standard-sized preview setting, Lightroom will build a 1:1 preview instead, which of course causes a longer delay in clearing up the display, and in the meantime you're stuck with a pixelated thumbnail preview. And the same thing would happen in Develop if you open the image again without the standard preview being rebuilt since you last opened it.

Just trying to give you an insight into what you might be seeing....there's a host of different scenarios. A lot of users mistakenly think that once they've built previews of a certain size for their normal viewing pleasure that it's job done! No such luck, I'm afraid.

Easy enough to test all this of course, which is how I worked out what was going on under the covers. The second monitor just adds an additional level of complexity.

Thank you clee01l. I am using a Lexar card reader to download/import the images - not directly from the camera.

I was able to resolve the weird behavior problem by resetting LR preferences. This was easy as Lightroom CC has provided a convenient preferences dialog box by holding Shift+Option when starting up.

Don't do that yet. The thing most users don't realise is that when you take an image into Develop and make an edit, the existing Library preview is replaced by a new one (makes sense, right?), but that new one is only thumbnail-sized. Now normally, when you view images in the Library module, any "below-standard-size" previews that are visible in the grid or filmstrip are automatically upgraded to the standard-size as specified in the catalog settings, but that doesn't seem to happen in the case of images which have beed edited. So they remain smaller until rebuilt or until the image is next opened in the Loupe.....so that could be happening for some of the images, i.e. the original standard preview has been ditched, so the first time you open that image in Loupe you'll see a small delay while a standard preview is rebuilt.

BUT....if the size of the window on your second monitor is larger (in pixel terms) than your standard-sized preview setting, Lightroom will build a 1:1 preview instead, which of course causes a longer delay in clearing up the display, and in the meantime you're stuck with a pixelated thumbnail preview. And the same thing would happen in Develop if you open the image again without the standard preview being rebuilt since you last opened it.

Just trying to give you an insight into what you might be seeing....there's a host of different scenarios. A lot of users mistakenly think that once they've built previews of a certain size for their normal viewing pleasure that it's job done! No such luck, I'm afraid.

Easy enough to test all this of course, which is how I worked out what was going on under the covers. The second monitor just adds an additional level of complexity.

This is all very interesting. What is odd to me is that shortly after installing LR CC and opening it for the first time I was getting these 1/4" pixel images on a large number of older images on the 2nd monitor, but ONLY in the Develop module. When I was in the Library module the images on the second monitor (which are obviously the same size no matter what module I'm in) would render quite quickly. And, as I said above, 18 hours later, I can't reproduce the 1/4" pixel issue, though I do notice that on the second monitor the image "clarifies" faster in the Library module than in the Develop module. But, at this point, the speed is fast enough, whereas when beginning with the 1/4" pixels it could take up to 10 seconds for the image on the 2nd monitor to "clarify." (I'm not including here the times when it never finished "clarifying.")

I was able to resolve the weird behavior problem by resetting LR preferences. This was easy as Lightroom CC has provided a convenient preferences dialog box by holding Shift+Option when starting up.
I am constantly amazed at what weirdness gets resolved by resetting preferences. I an also surprised give the "delicate" nature of the Preferences that 3rd party plugin Developers are allowed to write to the preferences file.

This is more in the category of a "mild annoyance" rather than an "issue," but for me LRCC takes MUCH longer to start up that LR 5.7 (standalone). It takes easily 10-15 seconds, sitting on the splash screen while LR does something or other (check registration?).

This is more in the category of a "mild annoyance" rather than an "issue," but for me LRCC takes MUCH longer to start up that LR 5.7 (standalone). It takes easily 10-15 seconds, sitting on the splash screen while LR does something or other (check registration?).
My LR5.7.1 takes ~49s to show the open catalog in grid view. LRCC takes ~17s to get to the same place in the catalog. To me LRCC is 3 times faster than LR5.7.1

A very quick test, hopelessly unscientific: on my Windows desktop, LRCC took a few seconds longer (10 seconds to 8 seconds with LR5) to the point where the splash screen disappeared. On my Mac it was a 6 seconds tie.

To get a real comparison you need to make sure that any external hard drives, if used by Lightroom, are "awake", and you also need to make sure that both open into the same module (Lightroom restarts in the same module you were last in). If one opens into Develop, foe example, it will take longer than if it opens into Library.

We just suscribed to CC and the download, conversion went smooth. I have noticed the following in Develop mode. If I flip an image horizontally and then hit the "F" key for full screen view the image displays without the flip. The only way I can see the flipped version is to switch to another image and back to the flipped image. This is the only problem I have noticed so far. I haven't tried vertical yet.

Yes I see that too....but if you actually make an adjustment, then hit the F key, you do get the flipped image. Same with Flip Vertical. I'll stick in a bug report.

Yes I see that too....but if you actually make an adjustment, then hit the F key, you do get the flipped image. Same with Flip Vertical. I'll stick in a bug report.
Thanks Jim. I just tried it and it does work with an adjustment. Also I just noticed that without the adjustment, the flipped version shows very briefly before displaying the unflipped version.

John, which Smugmug plugin are you using? I believe there is one that ships with LR, one the Smugmug has on their site for LR users and Jeffrey Friedl's jfSmugmug plugin. Of the plugins available for SmugMug, I'd trust the one from Jeffrey to be more like bug free and if you have the latest version (20150301.303) the one most likely to work with LRCC/6.

John, which Smugmug plugin are you using? I believe there is one that ships with LR, one the Smugmug has on their site for LR users and Jeffrey Friedl's jfSmugmug plugin. Of the plugins available for SmugMug, I'd trust the one from Jeffrey to be more like bug free and if you have the latest version (20150301.303) the one most likely to work with LRCC/6.

Here's my original info for reference:

Last week I upgraded from LR5 to LRCC (have been using LR+smugmug upload plugin daily for several years across various platforms).

After moving to LRCC, my galleries are uploading a good bit slower, and I'm getting annoying mouse movement/performance delays and the wheel of fortune rainbow (Mac Pro 3.7 Ghz Xeon E5, 32GB RAM, OSX 10.9.3 and smugmug plugin 2.2.5).

In the past I have been able to upload several galleries at the same time, but after moving to LRCC uploading is crawling-slow (speedtest.net this morning shows my connection at 92 Mbps download and 95 Mbps upload speeds).

Two additional issues that are new since the move to LRCC:

1) Some galleries do not completely upload, yet the status bar shows them as complete (this is not an issue of adding images to the galleries after starting the upload)

2) Every other upload or so, I get a pop-up error message from LR that says "Some export operations were not performed. Unauthorized (# of files) - (and a list of the files)".

Any help / tips? I wasn't able to find anything that references what "unauthorized" actually means regarding this upload error. Eventually if I continue to re-publish the galleries the rest of the images slowly upload, but it's definitely a productivity killer.

I'm agreeing with Jim. SmugMug's plugin may not work properly with LRCC/6 The latest version is 2.2.5. It is the same version that I have had installed for LR5 through out most if not all of 2014

I highly recommend Jeffrey Frieda's SmugMug plugin at the link http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/smugmug

Give his plugin a try and see if your errors are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back