• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom CC Issues after Install – For OS X Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

clee01l

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
If you are an OS X user and are having issues with the new Subscription LRCC app after successfully installing , Please post your issue here and we will attempt to resolve and post a Solution. Before adding your issue to this thread, please review the previous posts (especially any posted Solutions) before adding your item to this thread.

It will help with the diagnosis if you will navigate the LR Menu to {Help}{System Info...} and copy, then paste the information found there into your question posted here as a reply.

Last edited:
I'm agreeing with Jim. SmugMug's plugin may not work properly with LRCC/6 The latest version is 2.2.5. It is the same version that I have had installed for LR5 through out most if not all of 2014

I highly recommend Jeffrey Frieda's SmugMug plugin at the link http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/smugmug

Give his plugin a try and see if your errors are gone.

I edit and upload from different workstations and the SM plugin of two-way sync has helped me out there.

As of tonight, they are aware of the issue - hoping to hear something back soon.

Ian, It would be useful if you were update your LR Forums User Profile I'm sure you have moved beyond OS X 10.6 and LR3.3

Is the GPU enabled and are you up to date on the GPU Driver? You posted in the Topic for CC users. Does that mean you are running LRCC?

Fir a start, I would suggest unchecking the checkbox labeled "GPU Processor" in the Preferences Performance tab.
If you will navigate the LR Menu to {Help}{System Info...} and copy, then paste the information found there into a reply, it will help with the diagnosis.

I have noticed a problem in LRCC with the before/after view using the \ key. When I do so the image blacks out completely for a moment but only intermittently. It seems to the more I hit the \ key the less frequent it occurs. Sometimes it is just a part of the image that blacks out. It it extremely brief but annoying. Any thoughts?
Jeff

I have noticed a problem in LRCC with the before/after view using the \ key. When I do so the image blacks out completely for a moment but only intermittently. It seems to the more I hit the \ key the less frequent it occurs. Sometimes it is just a part of the image that blacks out. It it extremely brief but annoying. Any thoughts?
Jeff
Yes, I see this too. It happens only the first time that I toggle the new image. It does not happen the GPU acceleration is off. This is something that ought to be reported to Adobe but it is not critical.

Yes, it has already been reported.

I had the trial version which I was getting to know and starting to like except for a couple of things like OH locking up my computer at times which I thought I fixed by enabling Quicktime for all applications. Then last night I decided I would subscribe to Lightroom CC so it redownloaded installed and I went to open it and I got this error: The Lightroom catalog named "lightroom Catalog" cannot be opened because another application alrady has it opened. Quit the other cop of lightroom before trying to launch. It then gives the options of Choose a different catalog continue or exit. I do not have lightroom open at all I did control alt del and checked the task manager there is nothing running that would be using the light room catalog. So I restarted the computer this did not fix the issue, I shut the computer down and turned it back on still no help. I then tried to make a new catalog this worked to a point it got half way through and froze my computer to the point I had to maually shut it down by killing the power. (Cntrl, ALT, DEL does not work at this point) Next step uninstall the program and reinstall the program restart the computer. Update the program restart the computer. Now the computer freezes when I use photoshop and bridge. I am not happy right now I spent good money building this computer just so it could handle working with these programs there is NO reason it should be out of ram or memory. I have a AMD FX(tm) 9590 Eight-core Processor, 32.0 GB of RAM 31.8 usable. A 64 bit operating system and 3 TB of memory. Watercooled.

Panda68, Welome to the forum.

The message that you are geting is common when ever the LR catalog is not closed properly. There is a sentinel file locate in the same folder as there catalog file thai indicates the catalog file has been opened by another instance of LR. When LR closes properly, it deletes this sentinel file.

If you set LR up with the catalog in the default location, it is in a folder named Lightroom inside your Pictures folder . The catalog has a name that ends with the extension "*.lrcat" (that is a lower case L), Adjacent to that is another file with the catalog name "*.lrcat.lock" Deleting the file with the "lock" extension will permit LR to open the catalog proplerly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much now how do you fix the locking computer issue?
Have you updated to CC version 2015.1? If so, try disabling the GPU acceleration in the Performance tab of Preferences.

Addendum. I see that you run Windows. This particular thread was started to separate Windows issues from OS X issues when LR6/CC was first released. Things have quieted down now so it's not a problem. There weren't that many OS X problems with LR6/CC, but tons of problems for Windows users.

In the LR Help Menu there is a submenu item {System Info} Would you copy the contents of that dialog and paste it into a reply? It will help is diagnosing your Windows crash response to LR.

Last edited:
Everthing according to the Cloud manager is updated. The only option under performance is to disable the GPU

Lightroom version: CC 2015.1 [ 1025654 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Operating system: Windows 7 Business Edition
Version: 6.1 [7601]
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 4.7 GHz
Built-in memory: 32601.1 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32601.1 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 562.4 MB (1.7%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 536.3 MB
Memory cache size: 249.0 MB
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 8
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 1920x1080
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 347.88
Renderer: GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2
LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom
Library Path: C:\Users\Kona\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\Kona\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) Behance
2) Canon Tether Plugin
3) Facebook
4) Flickr
5) Leica Tether Plugin
6) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Adapter #1: Vendor : 10de
Device : 1184
Subsystem : 1033196e
Revision : a1
Video Memory : 1990
AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024
AudioDeviceName: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2
AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100
Build: LR5x102
Direct2DEnabled: false
GPUDevice: not available
OGLEnabled: true

Do disable the GPU acceleration to see if that stops the crashing. Then report back here as to whether that was successful of not. There are other apps that you run concurrent with Windows. They may be conflicting. You might need to isolate LR to see if there is one other app that when added in causes the crash. Also your virus scanner might be interfering with the LR files as it intercepts any file open commands and scans the file before releasing it to the calling application. LR might be waiting for a signal that never comes.
Mouse drivers need to be up to date If the cursor video interface freezes, it may appear that a program has stopped working when only the mouse has died.

I am running AVG for my virus scan this was disabled for a few days with really no change. I disabled the GPU, Checked for updates on the mouse, keyboard removed or disabled programs I was not using and tried just running LR only this has stopped it from freezing while working on photo's however has not stopped the issue of freezing when you try to export. Next question I know that it is said that LR does not use internet after you download it however when I downloaded program (which is now removed) to monitor internet usage and it says that LR is using internet. With that said I have Excede for my internet would this cause issues? My next test would be to disconnet the internet from the computer and see.

...I was not using and tried just running LR only this has stopped it from freezing while working on photo's however has not stopped the issue of freezing when you try to export. ...
Lightroom create a lot of temporary files during export. This means that you need an adequate amount of free space on your Primary Disk Drive for Working storage. How much free space to you have on your C:\ drive? What is the total capacity of the C:\ drive? If Windows runs out of space for temporary files, it may just Stop. Another issue is handles Windows limits the number of file handles that it will assign to one program. This may be happening to you. I'm inclined to look at hardware and other software to be the culprit of Windows freezing up.
Have you tried booting Windows in Safe mode and just running windows?

282 GB C: Drive 2.03 TB E: Drive in which I run all my programs off of.
How much free space to you have on your C:\​ Is 282GB the freespace or the whole capacity of the drive? All of your working storage defaults to C:\ unless you have changed the environmental variable. I think you nee at least 125GB of free space for Working storage. that only leaves 157GB of Windows OS and your programs and your Swapfile. If you run out of Working storage. Windows can unceremoniously stop working.

I have 474 GB on the C: drive I have moved all the Lightroom Catalogs to the E drive still locking up. I am beyond fustrated today because now I cant even get photoshop to work right since installing lightroom CC it worked just fine till I installed this. I own CS6 and I have NEVER had a problem with it I tried to do one photo with it and it locked up with nothing open but google chrome. Bridge is giving me a issue with the Cache now. Come on this is getting so messed up I have cleared all the caches I haven't changed any setting in Photoshop or Bridge. I have looked and done everything you have suggested the only thing it has managed to do is allow me to work in lightroom I cant save 59 files at once really when I first down loaded this program as a trial I was able to save 160 photos no problem. I have a D5200 I save them down to 2200 X 1600 so its not like I am trying to save them as huge files. I have 4 photo shoots to process and have wasted 15 hours trying to figure this out in two days. And been pissing around with Lightroom for two weeks.

I'm agreeing with Jim. SmugMug's plugin may not work properly with LRCC/6 The latest version is 2.2.5. It is the same version that I have had installed for LR5 through out most if not all of 2014

I highly recommend Jeffrey Frieda's SmugMug plugin at the link Jeffrey's "Export to SmugMug" Lightroom Plugin

Give his plugin a try and see if your errors are gone.
Cletus, I gave up on S a few years ago when I couldn't get it to show up in the export section, but want to get back to it now. Is the J Frieda plugin something you still recommend?

Cletus, I gave up on S a few years ago when I couldn't get it to show up in the export section, but want to get back to it now. Is the J Frieda plugin something you still recommend?
Yes, I highly recommend any and all of Jeffrey Freidl's plugins. I am such an ardent supporter that I ought to get a commission. Speaking of commissions, Jeffrey does not ask much but that you pay via Paypal what you think the plugin is worth to you. That can amount to only a token payment but I think Jeffrey deserves much more than a minimum contribution. I make a regular contribution just to hope that he stays around and keeps cranking out those LR Plugins.

Cletus, Will contribute to Freidl"s site. Keep the community vital.

One problem persists with my Lightroom work. If I try to do some editing of a photo in ehd #1 with an external app (Nik, Topaz), I get the message that Lightroom can't prepare the image and won't be able to open it. If I process it, however, with a downloaded preset from the left column, it works. Suggestions? Thanks. Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back