• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom CC Folders issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

noosnoM

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 7.0
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Okay so I am new to the forum and only stumbled across my issue yesterday evening. Lightroom CC 7.0 was opened and my wife was looking for some older photos
When she has looked at the folders tab nothing was showing.... where as in previous years it would show the hierarchy folder then inside that folders by year then within those dated folders by month. Initially i was a bit all over the place and scared files had gone missing of family pictures of the kids and so on. About two weeks ago a did a backup of the catalog prior to this issue yesterday. I have attempted to look online for solutions that others have faced and can't seem to resolve my problem.

So my set up of where the physical files are as follows for my 2017 folder, but i am wanting to see from 2014 to 2019 with the sub folders by dates set on them

Then when I have gone into Lightroom and i notice under catalog > all photographs > 17000 images
For this example I attempted to import the 2017 folder containing the above sub folders but it is only showing one sub folder '2017-12-10' and as the image shows below it has imported '651 images' but no other sub folders to navigate easily.

One thing that we have done always up to the last back up two weeks ago, is that we export out nearly all of our sub folders once they have been edited and back those up to a separate drive just as jpegs if the inevitable happens and was to lose everything.
I may well be completely out of my depth here but some help would be greatly appreciated before I potentially screw things up.

was your last screen shot the entire folders panel or was there more below?

As the all photos line shows 17,000. so obviously there are more images in the catalog than are shown in your screen shot.

Try this. Click on the "All Photos" line and verify that there are way more than 651 being shown. I suspect there will be. Navigate to an image not from 2017-12-10, right click on it and select "Go to Folder in Libary" and see if another folder shows up in the folder panel.

If you select an image in the grid that is not one of the 651, hover your mouse over the "folder" field in the metadata panel and the full path will be shown. See if there is something odd in the path. You can also, click the right arrow at the right end of that field to go to that folder in the folders panel which may cause it to either show up or provide some interesting error message.

As you show 17,000 images in the all photos line I would put effort into getting them to show up in the folders panel rather than re-importing them which could compound the problem.

Yeah the screenshot of the folders panel was as shown. Because when she opened light room last night the folders panel had nothing in it at all.... but all photographs had 17000. So as you suggest i am trying to get the folders back in by year then the subfolders by the dates shown above in the windows folders.

When i click on 'All Photographs' i see all the 17000 in the middle grid as you suggest. When i right click on several other images and click 'go to folder in library' nothing happens at all. When i right click and go to 'show in explorer' i get this error.

Any further assistance or ideas?

What happens after restarting LR? Do the missing folders display?

Go slowly.

When i have closed and reopened lightroom i am still looking at the same thing under the folders panel. 32 images in the 2017-12-10 and 651 in the 2017 and above. so still no other sub folders under 2017 only. I started with 2017 as it is the smallest of the yearly folders in size.

What would you expect to see? What I mean is are some of the 17k on other drives, like D: or J: or whatever, so you'd expect to see D: and K: as well as the C drive.

Are you able to select some photos that generate the error in post #3 and do a File > Export as Catalog? That's only a test. What I am thinking is that it may be best to do a File > Export as Catalog on all 17k, creating a new clean catalogue.

I need to go over your post again, but I notice the "to get the folders back in by year" and "I started with 2017" which sounds as if you are reimporting. Am I misinterpreting you?

All of the 17000 images on my C: in Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom Photos/ then in here there are 2014, 2015, 2016 and so on. with in each of the year folders there are further sub folders for example 2017-01-22. So previously in my folders panel it was just the yearly folders and subfolders in those by dates of import.

I was attempting to re-import, is this not the right thing to do? i just don't understand how the folders in the folders panel just disappears. never had an issue previously in years of using light room.

Reimporting is not the best approach at this moment i think.
When the images are present (when you can see them in Explorer/Finder) you could best restore the most recent backup from the catalog:
One thing that we have done always up to the last back up two weeks ago,...

Attempted to restore from recent back. For whatever reason the lrcat was corrupt, attempted to repair as per lightroom suggestion. Whatever it then tried with the repair didn't to plan. So i have just started a fresh catalog, i know any edits I've done in the past are now gone but we had exported the finished edits from all previous folders over the past years. If we need to alter any we can just do so moving forward. Thanks for any help given.

Do you still have that corrupted catalog noosnoM? It looks like it's related to the ghost images issue I'm investigating, so I'd love to pass that corrupted catalog onto Adobe if I can, so they can try to figure out the cause and fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back