• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom CC does not see pick flag

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuMac

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
I have several smart collections of photos taken in a particular location, which are built up using keywords. All works fine. Decided to set up a separate collection for "top 40" images. Set up separate smart collection with same key words - worked fine, all 550 photos appeared. Set an additional smart collection criterion "pick flag as flagged" and, as anticipated all photos vanished from smart collection as non are flagged. However, when I then set the flag it made no difference. Smart collection criteria don't seem able to look at flag status. Have found comments about this on line, but they all relate to older versions of LR. I have up to date CC version....any ideas?

It works fine when I just tested it, so without seeing the actual smart collection settings it's difficult to say why it doesn't work for you.

I have several smart collections of photos taken in a particular location, which are built up using keywords. All works fine. Decided to set up a separate collection for "top 40" images. Set up separate smart collection with same key words - worked fine, all 550 photos appeared. Set an additional smart collection criterion "pick flag as flagged" and, as anticipated all photos vanished from smart collection as non are flagged. However, when I then set the flag it made no difference. Smart collection criteria don't seem able to look at flag status. Have found comments about this on line, but they all relate to older versions of LR. I have up to date CC version....any ideas?

Are you sure the smart collection says that ALL criteria must be met, not ANY?

Smart Collections don't exist. They are the result of a SQL query that is constructed from your criteria. The grid view only changes when the query is re run. Sometimes that SQL query is not executed again and the result is the same as before you made the update. Closing the grid view for that collection and clicking on it again in the Collection panel usually forces the query to update. I think this might be a bug, but I can't reliably duplicate it to report it. It is easier to simply force the Smart Collection to update.

Can you post a screenshot that shows the criteria for the smart collection? A smart collection should update as soon as you do something to an image that makes that image fit the criteria or no longer fit the criteria. Even if you have not selected that smart collection. In the left panel, you should see the number of images change for each smart collection that is affected by the change you made.

Sorted...just me being stupid! The city in question is the Hague in Holland. In some photos I'd used the English spelling, in some I'd used the Dutch (Den Haag). I had two keyword criteria, "Hague" and "Haag" but of course....no photo has both keywords so it didn't matter if they were flagged or not. Once I combined the keywords into a single choice ie "Hague, Haag" then it was all logical and it all worked properly. Don't know how I didn't spot that this AM!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back