• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

lightroom CC crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most likely cause is an incompatible GPU. Which is usually remedied by disabling the GPU in the Preferences Performance tab.
I say "the most likely cause" because I do not have any information from you about your hardware (RAM, disk freespace, etc)

MacOS is well isolated and apps usually do not crash the system as is often the case with older versions of MS Windows. So the problem could very well be something hardware related instead of app related.

If you could provide me with details about your hardware and the version of MacOS that you are using plus the contents for the "System Info..." dialog found on the LR Help submenu. With more information the advice can get more specific.

The most likely cause is an incompatible GPU. Which is usually remedied by disabling the GPU in the Preferences Performance tab.
I say "the most likely cause" because I do not have any information from you about your hardware (RAM, disk freespace, etc)

MacOS is well isolated and apps usually do not crash the system as is often the case with older versions of MS Windows. So the problem could very well be something hardware related instead of app related.

If you could provide me with details about your hardware and the version of MacOS that you are using plus the contents for the "System Info..." dialog found on the LR Help submenu. With more information the advice can get more specific.

I don't know if this is what you need, but here is information about my iMac. The problem only occurs when I am trying to use Lightroom CC.
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B29
SMC Version (system): 1.72f2
Serial Number (system): D25GY0YVDHJW
Hardware UUID: 9F8A5FCD-D796-5B27-BF86-74FAE8C32E12

1TB SSD:
Available: 391.87 GB (391,868,039,168 bytes)
Capacity: 999.21 GB (999,210,909,696 bytes)
Mount Point: /
File System: Journaled HFS+
Writable: Yes
Ignore Ownership: No
BSD Name: disk0s2
Volume UUID: D345B60B-0926-3422-92DB-C230FA49B656
Physical Drive:
Device Name: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB
Media Name: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB Media
Medium Type: SSD
Protocol: SATA
Internal: Yes
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified

Attachments

• About MY Mac.png
    About MY Mac.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 359
That's part of it. That tells me that you have only 8GB of RAM (The minimum to run LR) the latest MacOS release (10.12.5) and enough free space for LR's temporary files. What I do not know is whether the 6 year old iMac has a graphics card that is suitable for LR to use as a GPU.
What I still need is the "contents for the "System Info..." dialog found on the LR Help submenu." This will tell me if your GPU passes LRs tests and is enabled.

That's part of it. That tells me that you have only 8GB of RAM (The minimum to run LR) the latest MacOS release (10.12.5) and enough free space for LR's temporary files. What I do not know is whether the 6 year old iMac has a graphics card that is suitable for LR to use as a GPU.
What I still need is the "contents for the "System Info..." dialog found on the LR Help submenu." This will tell me if your GPU passes LRs tests and is enabled.

It has gone from bad to worse. My computer crashes whether or not I am working in Lightroom. I think you may be right about it being my CPU. Also, I did not tell you that my photos that are in the LR catalog are on an external Seagate 8TB disk. That may also be part of the problem. Right now I cannot tell you about the desktop because I cannot get it to boot even as a safe boot. Maybe if I get it to clean up its act I'll be back in business with Lightroom. I usually get as much RAM as possible on my computers, so it may be that I'll have to upgrade. We'll let this issue sleep until the computer is up and running again. Thanks for looking at the problem.

MacOS might be crashing because the CPU is overheating. Cleaning the dust bunnies out of the vent ports might help and running the room A/C at a lower setting

MacOS might be crashing because the CPU is overheating. Cleaning the dust bunnies out of the vent ports might help and running the room A/C at a lower setting
After spending several days trying to solve the problem and only having the computer get worse, I took it in for diagnosis and any necessary repairs today. It is well backed up, so even if they have to erase it I'll be OK. Luckily I do not depend on my computer work to make my living, just for a retired person's recreation. Thanks for all yours suggestions.

It is well backed up, so even if they have to erase it
I am glad yo hear you say this. All too often LR users show up here with a problem that would be a simple fix if only there were backups of the critical user files available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back