• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom CC Black/White Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank09

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I am using the desktop version of Lightroom CC Classic on Mac OS High Sierra.

I am trying to understand the new Black/White creative profiles. I see 17 B/W profiles available when I am editing a color photograph that I scanned in color from Silverfast 8 and saved as a TIFF (48 bit). However, when I am editing a B/W photo that I scanned from Sliverfast 8 and saved as a B/W TIFF (16 bit), I do not see any of these profiles.

My question: what file formats are required in order for images shot and scanned in B/W to access the new B/W creative profiles in Adobe CC Classic?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Frank, welcome to the forum!

Profiles can be limited by file format, number of color channels, bit depth and a few other things. In this case, the profiles need RGB data so they're not showing for your single color channel B&W.

Hi Frank, welcome to the forum!

Profiles can be limited by file format, number of color channels, bit depth and a few other things. In this case, the profiles need RGB data so they're not showing for your single color channel B&W.

Thank you.

However, when I am editing a B/W photo that I scanned from Sliverfast 8 and saved as a B/W TIFF (16 bit), I do not see any of these profiles.
FWIW this isn't a new thing. Profiles were always restricted to RAW files because JPEG and TIFF images effectively have their profile baked in. You can't take a monochrome JPEG or TIFF into Lightroom and just apply Adobe Landscape to turn it back into a colour image, whereas a RAW image with a monochrome Profile could/can changed by just applying a colour profile.

I may be wrong but I believe that the new Profile system is designed to be more flexible and it will be possible to create Profiles that can, at least in some ways, work with TIFFs etc.

FWIW this isn't a new thing. Profiles were always restricted to RAW files because JPEG and TIFF images effectively have their profile baked in. You can't take a monochrome JPEG or TIFF into Lightroom and just apply Adobe Landscape to turn it back into a colour image, whereas a RAW image with a monochrome Profile could/can changed by just applying a colour profile.

I may be wrong but I believe that the new Profile system is designed to be more flexible and it will be possible to create Profiles that can, at least in some ways, work with TIFFs etc.

The profiles do work with TIFFs now. Just not all TIFFs. That was my question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back