• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom Catalog_Can't delete or rename

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nooboy

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi all, Using LrC 9.3. Just had a problem with Lightroom crashing and not responding. Ended up forcing a PC shutdown.

On restart LrC could not reopen the master catalog (I tried deleting the lrcat .lock) saying there was an 'unexpected error'. Suspecting the catalog had corrupted I decided to use one of my backup catalogs (I use GoodSync to backup my catalog on file change, so the backup is always bang up top date)

I wanted to copy it into the default folder on my C drive where the old catalog still resides. So, I tried to rename the old catalog to '.old' so that I could copy the new one into the folder, but when I try to rename it I get the Windows 'Folder In Use - action can't be completed because the file is in use by another program' error. Can't delete it either, same error.

What could be using the catalog if LrC is closed down? I already pointed LrC to the new catalog to test it, so LrC shouldn't even be thinking about the old catalog should it?

It's not a major problem because I could just call the replacement catalog 'LrC CatMASTER 2', but I just like to keep things tidy and would like to delete the corrupt old catalog.

Could anyone please offer any ideas on what's hanging on to the file?

Win 10 x64 v2004

Start with a clean reboot of Windows. Then without starting Lightroom Classic, rename the master catalog file to ".old". Next make sure there are no ".lock" files lingering before starting LrC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back