• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Catalogs Lightroom Catalog Won't Function on New Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrizi.purchases

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 9.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hello,

I recently bought a new MacBook Pro, converting to the new computer from an older MacBook Pro. On the old MacBook Pro, I was running Lightroom Classic 9.2 with no problems. All of my 150,000 images are on an external hard drive, and very well and completely organized. Now, after downloading LR 9.2 to my new computer, and using the same catalog file that I used on the old computer with absolutely no problems, it is presenting a problem on the new computer.

When I open LR 9.2 on the new computer i get a popup telling me that the catalog file needs to be upgraded (which seems odd to me because it was already upgraded for 9.2 on my old computer) -- in the popup, my options are Quit, Upgrade, or Choose A Different Catalog. Since I have the catalog file backed up, I chose Upgrade. It went through the upgrading process and LR 9.2 opened. All of my export presets and editing presets carried over, no problem.

And the library listing on the left shows all my photos in the folders where they are supposed to be with the correct counts. No folders are greyed out with question marks, so there are no missing folders. But, in the library module all of the images are blank, i.e., solid grey. The images are numbered correctly. And, in the Develop Module, for selected images, it is also grey w.ith the statement "The File Could Not Be Found."

Regarding the operating systems, the old computer is running on High Sierra, and the new computer on Catalina.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. I'm bewildered.

Kurt

That sounds a little odd. The fact that LR required the catalog to be upgraded tends to suggest that you had inadvertently opened the pre-upgrade catalog from the old MBP, though that wouldn't explain the missing files. Can you run the Library menu option to "Find all Missing Photos" and tell us how many Lightroom reports as missing.

Also check the permissions (in security) - that Lr has permission for all folders. Could explain the gray grid (but not the asking to upgrade, completely agree with Jim, that sounds like an old catalog was used)

Jim and Paul,

Many thanks. Problem resolved. As you suggested, in Mac System Preferences, I needed to allow permission for LR to access the external hard drive. Now I'm seamlessly up and running again. Cheers.

Kurt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back