• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom cannot use the catalog . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanhunt

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 11.4 [ 202206021307-2f136917 ]
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Twice during the past month, I have tried to open my Lightroom Classic catalog and received the message "Lightroom cannot use the catalog named "xxxxxxx" because it is not writable and cannot be opened". The first time I spent a lot of time verifying that the permissions in folders and drives hadn't changed, that there was plenty of space on the hard drive, that there was not a .lock file, etc. Finally, I went to my most recent backup and opened the catalog from there. Then I closed the backup copy and went back to the copy that would not open and it opened fine this time.

Again today, this happened. This time, I copied the .lrcat file that would not open to another drive and then I opened it and closed it. Then I went back to the original version that would not open. Now when I tried, it opened fine.

I was just curious to see if anyone knows what might be causing this. To me it seems like strange behavior. Also, the first time this happened was before the most recent update (11.4). I updated to 11.4 earlier today before the problem occurred.

Thanks,
Alan Hunt

Solution
I may have found the source of the problem. I use Backblaze for online backup. The problem has occurred three times since my original post. Tonight when it happened, I was trying to resolve it and saw a message indicating that Backblaze may have the .LRCAT file enqueued. I paused Backblaze backup and was able to open the catalog. I am not going to make any changes to Backblaze now, but will wait until this happens again and see if pausing Backblaze solves the problem.
That sounds odd. It sounds like you've ruled out all of the options that I'd have considered.

I may have found the source of the problem. I use Backblaze for online backup. The problem has occurred three times since my original post. Tonight when it happened, I was trying to resolve it and saw a message indicating that Backblaze may have the .LRCAT file enqueued. I paused Backblaze backup and was able to open the catalog. I am not going to make any changes to Backblaze now, but will wait until this happens again and see if pausing Backblaze solves the problem.

Solution
It has happened once or twice more. Pausing Backblaze long enough to open Lightroom each time has solved the problem. Glad you found it helpful.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back