• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom cannot open the catalog - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantum

Lightroom Version Number
Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
MY PC froze and I had to restart during an upload of photos. Now when I try and start my catalog I get this:
"Lightroom cannot open the catalog named "xxx" located on volume"xxx" because Lightroom cannot save changes to this location"

Can anyone help me?

Thanks
John

Normally, when you have to cancel out during a LR session, there's a <catalogue name>.lock left in the catalogue's folder. Deleting that file and then starting Lightroom puts you back in business.

The error message that you quote indicates that the catalogue folder doesn't give you permission to write there. Check permissions on that folder and also on the catalogue file.

Normally, when you have to cancel out during a LR session, there's a <catalogue name>.lock left in the catalogue's folder. Deleting that file and then starting Lightroom puts you back in business.

The error message that you quote indicates that the catalogue folder doesn't give you permission to write there. Check permissions on that folder and also on the catalogue file.
Thanks Hal
I ran a disk check and although it reported no errors when finished it seems to have cured it as the catalog now opens. Phew.
J

On rare occasions, I have seen this when a back up utility temporarily locks the catalog file or folder while it is being copied to the backup drive or cloud. Some Backup software does this, some don't.

I have seen this when a back up utility temporarily locks the catalog file or folder
Good one. That would explain what the OP saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back