• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! Color Grading and improved zoom across the whole Lightroom family, plus graphical watermarks for the cloud-based Lightroom apps, as well as the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Lightroom can not use the catalog because it's not writable and can't be opened"

PhilGF

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Operating System: Windows 10
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): 7.0.1 [ 1142117 ]

Yesterday I upgraded from Lightroom CC 6 to Lightroom Classic. The message upon opening Lr Classic was " Lightroom can not use the catalog because it's not writable and can't be opened".

I tried several times, any ideas? The last thing I did before upgrading was a backup. I'm covered but don't understand what's going on!

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
If the catalog file can't be opened, it could be because the drive is full. Or the permissions on that file, folder or volume has been set to read only.
It could also mean that your C:\ drive is full and there is no room for temporary files in Working storage.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (but still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
If the catalog file can't be opened, it could be because the drive is full. Or the permissions on that file, folder or volume has been set to read only.
It could also mean that your C:\ drive is full and there is no room for temporary files in Working storage.
If you also have a D: drive, IF, you have two options:

1. Immediate fix. Change the location of the swap space from C: to D:
2. Long-term fix. Move photo files and other data to D:

If you don't have another drive, maybe it's time to either upgrade your existing drive, or to add a second drive.

Phil