• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom Camera on Android Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenChesney

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Android
Victoria's recent email included a "how to" in using the "Lightroom Camera"on Android and iOS. I have Lightroom Mobile on my Samsung Android phone. What are the pros and cons of using the Lightroom Camera instead of the built-in?

Hi Steven and welcome to the forums!

I always uses the LR camera now (iOS) - I find it has the features I need (decent control of it) and of course your photo(s) are immediately in Lightroom, not just on the Camera Roll that then needs to be imported, deleted once in LR, etc.

The built in camera apps tend to be quite limited. The Lightroom camera has some extra features including:
Manual camera controls (like shutter speed, ISO, white balance, manual focus)
Shoot-through presets - non-destructive ones so you can change your mind later
Non-destructive crop for zoom - so you can change your mind later
Raw capture - on supported phones
HDR raw capture - on supported phones (for high contrast situations)
and there's some tech previews (currently iOS only) like Long Exposure and Depth Capture that will likely come to Android before too long.

I just started using LR camera and am blown away! Where have I been??
I used to use various camera apps to give me more than the default, but have only used the LR one for some times - it's good! And photos are immediately in Lightroom too!

I just picked up the Google Pixel 3a yesterday, and am trying to fully understand its camera functions. So far, so good. I have LR installed on it, and will be comparing its camera functions to the Pixel.
I have LR set up so it automatically grabs all the photos I take with the Pixel and it syncs them to my LR Classic. With the Pixel, they automatically go to Google Photos in the cloud as well.
As my main camera is a DSLR, I still have quite a bit of playing to do before I really know what to use when.

I know no one from Adobe is here, but how about this for a feature request:

If you are in an Album and you hit the camera icon and take a picture, that picture should get automatically added to the album you are in. So it is getting Organized *AS YOU GO*

Any downside to that?

It used to work that way on iOS, can't say about Android. Some (including me) didn't like it, as new snapshots (which is all I use my phone camera for) would usually end up in whatever album I was last viewing, and so would often be difficult to find quickly. So they changed it so that new captures taken with the LrMobile camera are only added to the special "Lr Camera Photos" album.

I do wish it was a preference, but it's nice to find someone who liked it the old way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back