• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom BW conversion green tint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougtatephotography

Lightroom Version Number
9.4 version
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hello,
I've recently started playing with BW conversions in Lightroom. I have one high key photo with a lot of snow that has a very slight green tint. I use a good monitor that I regularly calibrate. I had an 8x12 printed by Bay Photo, with no color correction to see if it appeared the same in print, which it does. I'm just starting to try and learn BW, and would like to know what is causing this, and how I might remedy the problem.
Thank you in advance!
Doug

I've recently started playing with BW conversions in Lightroom
What feature are you using to convert to B&W?
  • Develop -> Presets -> B&W
  • Develop -> Treatment -> B&W
  • Manually remove Saturation from Channels?
  • etc
It almost sounds like you still have a little bit of green saturation after removing all the other colours.

Paul,
I used the "Treatment" in the "Develop" module. I didn't make any other adjustments other than tweaked the black and white sliders.
Doug
Can you post a screen shot of what you're seeing or an export if it shows there?

Does the histogram also show the green tint? If so, your monitor needs to be re-calibrated.

A screenshot may not show it anyway. What a screenshot does is capture the data as they are sent to the screen. If your screen is not calibrated correctly, then a screenshot will not show that because the data are correct, but the hardware setting isn’t. Do note that I use the word ‘calibrate’ in its true sense. People often use ‘calibration’ too for the creation of an icc-profile, but that is not what I’m talking about here.

Not matter how I export it, or print it, it still has a very vague tint to it. On a color image, all it would take is to add a tiny bit of magenta on the tint slider to fix it.

Hello,
I've recently started playing with BW conversions in Lightroom. I have one high key photo with a lot of snow that has a very slight green tint. I use a good monitor that I regularly calibrate. I had an 8x12 printed by Bay Photo, with no color correction to see if it appeared the same in print, which it does. I'm just starting to try and learn BW, and would like to know what is causing this, and how I might remedy the problem.
Thank you in advance!
Doug
Hey Doug,

I too got bit in the Butt on a 50-inch canvas using a "Preset" to convert to B&W. It would not have been so evident had I not added a logo with pure blacks and whites.
B4NoSatNoVib.jpg

Although the color picker only shows it as less than two points off from neutral, I found it noticeable and unacceptable. Especially when contrasted with the logo.
color picker.jpg

Pulling down the Saturation and vibrance to -100, totally neutralized the image and the re-print was fine.
NoSatNoVib.jpg

Lesson learned, check the file before sending it to the printer. Had the logo not been there to reference, I probably would have blamed the lab...:) AND as you stated, the shift is too slight to see on even a calibrated monitor. It appears that perhaps the printing process exaggerates the tint? Cheers.

If the image started out as a color image in the camera (i.e. you are not using a camera with a B&W ONLY sensor or a scanner set to monochorme) and you change the "Treatment" to "Black & White" (which applies profile "Monochrome"), then when the mouse is on the image in the develop module all 3 channels shown under the histogram should have the same value. If they don't then you most likely have not converted it to monochrome. If they do show the same values for the R, G, & B channels but there is a tint visible on the screen, then your monitor may not be calibarted correctly or you have a bad or incorrect video driver for it or there is colored ambient light affecting your perception of the color. For example, if your room lighting is not darkroom dork and you have greenish walls, light reflecting off those green walls will make white pixels on the screen or paper print look greenish.

You may want to grab a "White Balance" card used for white balance calibration (not an 18% gray card used for setitng exposure) and see if the card itself has the problematic tint when held up in front of the monitor. If it does, then it's ambient light causing the problem.

If the White balance card looks white, take a photo of it and convert the image to Traatment Black & White. If it too displayes with a color cast see if the R, G & B values various pixels have the same nummeric values and let us know

(This may not be relevant, but anyway.....)

I have found that printing a B&W image from Lightroom can give a greenish tinge (I'm printing on a consumer Canon photo printer, but I'm normally happy with it).

I was advised that this is a result of letting Lightroom manage the colour, with colour management in the printer disabled, and that for B&W it is better to reverse that, and have the printer manage colour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back