Lightroom automatically changes date to day before. please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROBERTOGIANGRANDE

Lightroom Version Number
lightroom classic 9.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hi everybody I'm new on this forum. my name's roberto giangrande and i'm a professional photographer.
i've been using lightroom for a while but lately a client asked me to fill IPTC fields before sending edited photos (not the raw files)
The problem is everytime i change the time of the edited photo lightroom automatically changes the date to the day before: let's say i write 02/02/2021, 01/02/2021 appears!!!
time zone on my mac is right...
i've been spending days on the net but it seems i'm the only one with this issue.
thanks in advance
kindly
roberto

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2021-02-10 à 12.32.38.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2021-02-10 à 12.32.38.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 179
I'm not sure I understand what you are doing. You cannot write in this field. If you want to change the capture date/time, you need to use the 'Metadata - Edit Capture time' menu. To change the file creation date/time you will have to use a plugin that can do this.

sure i can write in this field! and when i enter the date i want, the new date is stored but not correctly : the day is automatically set to the day before the one i wrote.
important: i don't want to change the date of a raw file (straight from the camera-i know i can do this by going to metadata/capture time), but the date of a picture that was edited in phtotshop and imported in lightroom ; so it's not like changing the original file creation date, but the edited picture. it's a pity i can't attach a video... i hope i was clear, sorry for my english

I'm with Johan on this. That field isn't writable. That said, if you are able to write to it, you have an obvious workaround.

it's weird, i just go in the field and write inside without any problem (and the new date is stored). I obviously KNOW there's an obvious solution... i just tried to understand why this happens.
thanks anyway.

Sorry, I was looking at the wrong date. When I change it there, it stays at the date I changed it to. I can't duplicate your problem.

it's weird, i just go in the field and write inside without any problem (and the new date is stored). I obviously KNOW there's an obvious solution... i just tried to understand why this happens.
thanks anyway.

My has something to do with the creation date as recorded in the camera, the set time on the computer and your time zone. Computers work with UTC (Greenwich) and offset base upon the local time zone. The Date that you enter and the time that appears are off by only a few hours. The time shown is 22:00, only 2 hours earlier than the day that you entered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My has something to do with the creation date as recorded in the camera, the set time on the computer and your time zone. Computers work with UTC (Greenwich) and offset base upon the local time zone. The Date that you enter and the time that appears are off by only a few hours. The time shown is 22:00, only 2 hours earlier than the day that you entered.

I already tried to change the time zone on my mac with no result. Didn't check my cameras as i don't try to modify a raw file.... but i'll give it a try. Thx

I already tried to change the time zone on my mac with no result. Didn't check my cameras as i don't try to modify a raw file.... but i'll give it a try. Thx

My camera will get its time from a GPS if one is present. I have to remember to change the local time when DST comes and goes.

OK, "Date Created" seems to be the only date field that you can change. There are many date fields, and as far as I can see, none of the others can be changed like this. Maybe that is also why Lightroom 'corrects' you if you try to change the field to something it does not agree with?

Hi everybody I'm new on this forum. my name's roberto giangrande and i'm a professional photographer.
i've been using lightroom for a while but lately a client asked me to fill IPTC fields before sending edited photos (not the raw files)
The problem is everytime i change the time of the edited photo lightroom automatically changes the date to the day before: let's say i write 02/02/2021, 01/02/2021 appears!!!
time zone on my mac is right...
i've been spending days on the net but it seems i'm the only one with this issue.
thanks in advance
kindly
roberto

Are you writing just the date? Or are you writing the full date, time, and timezone offset?

For example, on my system some of my photos look like this:

2020-01-01T11:49:21.27-08:00
(I'm in California, 8 hours behind UTC, and my Nikon camera knows that)

But then some of my photos look like this:

2009-01-01T16:45:52
(an old camera that might not have had timezone support)

Creating virtual copies of these and editing the IPTC DateCreated field does not exhibit the same problem you have.

However, the catch is all the various localization setting possibilities on our computers can really muck up how dates are interpreted. It could work fine for some of us with certain language & region settings and then subtly screw things up for others in different regions.

My money is on Cletus being correct, and for some reason LR is interpreting the entered date as UTC/GMT time, and then subtracting two hours to convert to that photo's "local" time. Why is it subtracting two hours? What timezone setting (or camera metadata field) is LR looking at to get that 2 hours? I don't know.

But what happens if you enter the proper timezone offset for your location, as shown in my first example above?

Are you writing just the date? Or are you writing the full date, time, and timezone offset?

For example, on my system some of my photos look like this:

2020-01-01T11:49:21.27-08:00
(I'm in California, 8 hours behind UTC, and my Nikon camera knows that)

But then some of my photos look like this:

2009-01-01T16:45:52
(an old camera that might not have had timezone support)

Creating virtual copies of these and editing the IPTC DateCreated field does not exhibit the same problem you have.

However, the catch is all the various localization setting possibilities on our computers can really muck up how dates are interpreted. It could work fine for some of us with certain language & region settings and then subtly screw things up for others in different regions.

My money is on Cletus being correct, and for some reason LR is interpreting the entered date as UTC/GMT time, and then subtracting two hours to convert to that photo's "local" time. Why is it subtracting two hours? What timezone setting (or camera metadata field) is LR looking at to get that 2 hours? I don't know.

But what happens if you enter the proper timezone offset for your location, as shown in my first example above?
I only write the date (2009-01-01) and lightroom adds the rest (2009-01-01T16:45:52) when i hit enter. I agree with you and Cletus that it's a time zone problem. I tried to modify my mac time zone but didn't work. is there a way to set a default time zone in lightroom ?

I only write the date (2009-01-01) and lightroom adds the rest (2009-01-01T16:45:52) when i hit enter. I agree with you and Cletus that it's a time zone problem. I tried to modify my mac time zone but didn't work. is there a way to set a default time zone in lightroom ?

Time Zone in Lightroom is from the OS System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back