• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom and Nikon Dust Off Reference pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmcalba

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 10.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Is there any add-on that allows the Dust-Off reference images that can be generated by Nikon SLRs to be used in Lightroom.

Due to circumstances I had to use an older camera body and never got a chance to clean it properly after a long period of it sitting idle.
As a result I have a batch of pictures badly affected by dust bunnies - I normally just handle dust using the standard Lightroom tools but because this was worse than usual I tried taking a Dust Off Reference image ( an NDF file) and when I use the Nikon software (Capture NX-D and ViewNX-i) it actually does a very good job of fixing the problem. But the corrections are not written back to the RAW (NEFF) file but stored in a sidecar file which is not recognised by Lightroom.

The only way I have found to get the corrected images into Lightroom is to export the files from NiewNX-i as a TIFF, then import the TIFF into Lightroom and then convert to DNG - it works but is slow and the DNGs are much larger than the original NEFs.

Is there any better path that I could use?

I do not think there is another option. BTW: There is no advantage in converting TIFFs to DNG. You will still have an RGB image, with just a different wrapper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back