• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom and New iMac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob26

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 10.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
New iMac has arrived. Working my way through the Lightroom Queens Doc. on moving to a new machine.
installed new Lightroom.Copied the files across and In processing of copying the actual pictures now.

Do I import them from ssd pen drive via Lightroom? or copy them and paste if so where should they go?

Rob

Copy and paste, don't import.

You will want to make sure that you keep the same folder structure as on the old Mac since the catalog file that you copied from the old Mac will be looking for the image files in the same path as before

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All done for now. But unable to find my user print template in Print Module. They were copied across and are on new Mac but only Lightroom templates
listed.
How do I force my created ones to appear

Rob

Solved it myself

Just find the file and import them

Did you not read Victoria’s post Importing is the wrong thing to do.

The instruction on the website for moving to a new computer say nothing about importing anything.

Did you not read Victoria’s post Importing is the wrong thing to do.

The instruction on the website for moving to a new computer say nothing about importing anything.

I think @Rob26 was talking about his print templates in that particular post.

PS....I did a double-take when I first read the post!

I was indeed.

I did speak to soon however. Not all went smoothly found a load of duplicates that I had to remove. OK now.
The Lightroom article was very helpful.

I think @Rob26 was talking about his print templates in that particular post.

PS....I did a double-take when I first read the post!

Yes, I missed the previous post about templates completely.

@Rob26, FWIW, I used the Apple Migration Assistant to migrate all of my old MAc contents over to my new Mac. It was smooth and painless. The instructions on Victoria’s website are generic for any computer including windows and work for setting up an existing Lightroom Environment on any new computer.

Well I was warned not to use Migration Assistance due to the mess my old Mac had become over 11years of life.
So I am slowly transferring bit by bit only the stuff I really need.
So far its all ok

What I was concerned about today however is how slow the Lightroom on this new iMac M1 was at importing a few photos from my camera.
Although the old Lightroom took ages to load up and use, Import seemed quicker.
I used the lead supplied by Olympus and a USB C to USB adapter.Was the first time so maybe quicker next time.
Might have to try SD Card Reader to see if better.
The USB on these iMac M1 is supposed to be quick and I can say that copying to a stick off old one and dragging to the new iMac the difference in speed
was incredible.

Rob

This new iMac 24" is certainly fast Lightroom opens up in about 20sec
I also have a new 24inch iMac. Fast but I keep running out of systems app memory even with 16GB. Useful to hear how others have managed this issue.

Worrying! I went for more disk space but had to compromise on memory 8gb.
I do only run one App at a time so we will just have to see.
I Lightroom unable to cope will go to Photos and Affinity Photo

There's definitely a memory issue with Lightroom Desktop on M1 systems, which Adobe are aware of, so hoping to see some improvement in due course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back