• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom 9 changes all files - why ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe-K7

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 9
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi,
Pls. beg my pardon as I'm not very familiar yet with Lightroom and its functions. Hence the question might sound easy for experienced users, but I don't get it... :-(

Setup:
I'm using a PC (for organizing, developing etc. in Lightroom) and a Laptop (just for reviewing the files and working on kewords (categorizing etc.)). Files between the two medias are synchronized will Allwasync through my QNAP NAS (Laptop just receives the JPG data, not RAW).

Chnages done:
Recently I've upgraded to the latest Lightroom 9 on PC and Laptop. I've worked on both machines and now I figured out, that during synchronisation the PC to QNAP just showed tha changed/added pictures (as always done in the past). Trying to update the Laptop showed a huge amount of files to be updated and need to be synchronized... ?

To my knowledge I did not change any setting on both PC and Laptop (so just upgraded from Lightoom 8 to 9). I don't see the effect on my PC but on the Laptop...

Comparing a couple of pictures I could only find a small difference (beside size): the old (orig) picture has just "Title" filled, whereas the "new" version on Laptop shows in addition the same entry under "Subject", I cannot imagine this to cause a larger change in size of the picture (more than few bytes, but less than 10 kB).

The pictures changed have a time stamp, which correlates to the times I was using Lightroom on the Laptop and just those time stamps (so I exclude another program changing/touching the pictures).

Question:
So, as I'm puzzled and don't know where to look after, could someone give me a hand and hint me to the direction wrt a setting in Lightroom I should check, which could cause the change in files ?

Thanks a lot and kind regards,
Joe

Lightroom Classic v9 (to use the proper name) Is no different from earlier versions of Classic. Any JPEG created from a RAW source file will be a derivative. When exporting from Lightroom and creating a JPEG file a new derivative file is generated. When that is the case new files will need to be synchronized.
Also if in catalog setting you have ticked the box labeled "Automatically write metadata changes into XMP" Lightroom will update any nonproprietary file like JPEGs, DNGs TIFFs etc. or create an XMP sidecar file for proprietary RAW files like CR2. When that is the case new files will need to be synchronized.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.

Wrt exporting files I was aware of this, but I don't convert fromRAW, just (recently)) created a Panorama file out of a few JPGs...

I've checked the catalog setting wrt metadata and saw on both machines the same setting, i.e. checked "Automatically write metadata changes into XMP" in both installations.

Maybe I need to add another item: Only the jpg files are synchronized between the two machines through QNAP, I don't export from RAW on my Laptop as it would be too slow. The catalog is not synchronized (as the content is much bigger on PC incl. RAW files whereas the Laptop just has the JOG files in the catalog.

But I still do not get, what caused my Laptop installation to touch and change all of the files as mentioned... I'm puzzled

Kind regards,
Joe

Just to add:
I've compared the seetings wrt catalog and settings for both installations. These are identical (except folder location, size of cache, graphics support etc.).

I've just recognized, that the Lightroom installation on the Laptop is continously showing harddisk transfer of ~0.1 MB/s, even as it not used, but just opened (PC installation does not show any file activity) .

But I still do not get, what caused my Laptop installation to touch and change all of the files as mentioned... I'm puzzled
"Automatically write metadata changes into XMP" in both installations. is my best guess.

Fully understand your guess, but why does the PC (having the same setting) prohibiting from touching the files, whereas the Laptop does touch so many files (currently I would guess about 70%). Now I've removed the check in the catalog settings, but Lightroom still is accessing the harddrive (listed with about 0.1 MB/s in task manager)...

And most worrying bit: I have this installation txpe since about two years, but never did see any massive file number change as currently since lightroom v9 upgrade.

Comparing a couple of pictures I could only find a small difference (beside size): the old (orig) picture has just "Title" filled, whereas the "new" version on Laptop shows in addition the same entry under "Subject", I cannot imagine this to cause a larger change in size of the picture (more than few bytes, but less than 10 kB).

What tool are you using to examine those JPEG's metadata? Different tools use different names for the same field, unfortunately (including LR).

The industry-standard field XMP:Title corresponds to the Title field shown in LR's Metadata panel, and the standard field XMP:Subject contains keywords you've applied in LR. So if these are the fields you're seeing with whatever tool, then somehow the Title got copied to the keywords. It's pretty unlikely that the upgrade to LR 9 did that (but remotely possible -- never underestimate the power of bugs to surprise).

If you attach a couple of pairs of example photos here, I can look in detail at the metadata differences, which might give more clues.

Hi,
The issue may have gone now, but need to be confirmed.

I've de-installed Lightroom on my Laptop and re-installed it again.
Before I saw changes on files coming up (changes mean at first place the time stamp change). Every time I've used Lightroom and let it run in the background, it started to "touch" (change?) JPG files, I did not actually look at in Lightroom. After removing and installing Lightroom, this did not happen again (I've kept the settings during de-installation).

As I did not see any change on the (already) changed files, I've copied all the files back from my QNAP to my Laptop, which took me an awful lot of time. A first (short) run of Lightroom based on this "old" data did not reveil any time stamp change yet.

I need to do a more detailled review after running Lightroom for more than ten minutes, as I'm not sure, how long it took some days ago until LR started to change time stamps...

Very curious thing.

(Btw I needed to re-install LR on my PC as well as I was not able to open any LR catalog after switching to LR Classic v9. Maybe that is the reason I did not saw the time stamp changed on my PC at all, because I've already installed it the second time on the PC before actually using Lightroom ?).

Thanks for your support. In case the behavious has not changed and I'll experience futher not dedicated time stamp changes, I'll come back here and share some files.

Answering the question from johnrellis: I use AllwaySync for synchronizing data from PC, QNAP and Laptop (this just gets the JPG files), This showed me a huge set of changed data I could not explain. In addition a had a look through Explorer - file properties per file (old / new) and saw beside the time stamp change the change in content as described in my first thread.

Kind regards,
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back