• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwin Ho

Lightroom Version Number
Windows 7
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
First of all, please let me explain why. I bought LR3 years ago and eventually upgraded to LR6 (with perpetual license). My "old pc" was operating on Windows 7.

I understand I must have an OS like Windows 10 or 11 if I want to upgrade to the latest version of LR. I do now have a second PC with Windows 11.

What is the difference between Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC.? I am "old school" and would like to store my photos on an external HD.

I understand LR is now subscription-based.

Question: Does Lightroom Classic has an option to store photos in my own HD.

My preference is to able the store my photos in a HD. At a worse case, I am be better off to keep using LR6 on my old PC.

The name Lightroom CC was confusing and discontinued some years ago. The current version of Lightroom 6 is called Lightroom Classic and is at v11. It is the successor to your LR6. If you upgrade to a Photography Plan subscription you will get Lightroom Classic, Photoshop and Lightroom (for the cloud and what I think you are calling LightroomCC) You can install the Adobe Creative Cloud app to install Lightroom Classic. You can use this to open your existing LR6 catalog file. LrC will then read the Lr6 file and copy your Lightroom information to a new structure compatible with LrC v11.
With the Photography plan you have 20GB of cloud storage and the ability to use Lightroom for the Web and Lightroom (mobile) to access any images from LrC that you can sync to the cloud. You can also use Lightroom (for the cloud) in conjunction with LrC but 20GB of Cloud Storage can fill up quickly. If you sync from your LrC catalog. Smart previews are sent to the cloud and these do not count against your 20GB plan storage limit.

Last edited:
The name Lightroom CC was confusing and discontinued some years ago. The current version of Lightroom 6 is called Lightroom Classic and is at v11. It is the successor to your LR6. If you upgrade to a Photography Plan subscription you will get Lightroom Classic, Photoshop and Lightroom (for the cloud and what I think you are calling LightroomCC) You can install the Adobe Creative Cloud app to install Lightroom Classic. You can use this to open your existing LR6 catalog file. LrC will then read the Lr6 file and copy your Lightroom information to a new structure compatible with LrC v11.
With the Photography plan you have 20GB of cloud storage and the ability to use Lightroom for the Web and Lightroom (mobile) to access any images from LrC that you can sync to the cloud. You can also use Lightroom (for the cloud) in conjunction with LrC but 20GB of Cloud Storage can fill up quickly. If you sync from your LrC catalog. Smart previews are sent to the cloud and these do not cunt against your 20GB plan storage limit.
With the Photography plan you have 20GB of cloud storage and the ability to use Lightroom for the Web and Lightroom (mobile) to access any images from LrC that you can sync to the cloud. You can also use Lightroom (for the cloud) in conjunction with LrC but 20GB of Cloud Storage can fill up quickly. If you sync from your LrC catalog. Smart previews are sent to the cloud and these do not cunt against your 20GB plan storage limit.

Thank you for reply. Perhaps I should ask specific questions.
I plan to use Lightroom on my new PC with Windows 11. With the current Lightroom 6, I suppose it has to be subscription-base, can I still store my photos in the external HD as 20GB is too little storage.

Thank you for reply. Perhaps I should ask specific questions.
I plan to use Lightroom on my new PC with Windows 11. With the current Lightroom 6, I suppose it has to be subscription-base, can I still store my photos in the external HD as 20GB is too little storage.
The 20GB is the cloud Storage that come with Lightroom not Lightroom Classic. Lightroom Classic behaves just like Lightroom 6 but has added features, performance enhancements and can work in the cloud environment. However, the cloud component is not a requirement if you want to stick with a local catalog and local storage of your master image files. And Just like Lr6, LrC can store your images on any volume attached to your computer or on your local network.

Edwin - do you need to upgrade from LR6? I've just bought a Canon 90D and thought (following an internet search that said that LR6 couldn't import CR3 files) that I was going to have to go the subscription route. However upon looking at Help in LR6 it says that the 90D and CR3 files are supported! Happy days and well done Adobe. I thought updating of LR6 had stopped?

I might subscribe at some point. Is there a thread setting out what the advantages and enhancements of LR Classic are over LR6?

Thanks, Chris

Edwin - do you need to upgrade from LR6? I've just bought a Canon 90D and thought (following an internet search that said that LR6 couldn't import CR3 files) that I was going to have to go the subscription route. However upon looking at Help in LR6 it says that the 90D and CR3 files are supported! Happy days and well done Adobe. I thought updating of LR6 had stopped?

I might subscribe at some point. Is there a thread setting out what the advantages and enhancements of LR Classic are over LR6?

Thanks, Chris
Classic is now on version 11, so the additions to the core features of it have been greatly enhanced, expanded and improved since LR6. There have been comparisons done in the past when LR6 was not that far behind, but a lot has been added over the years. This page will take you back to the new features added since LR9: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new.html .

--Ken

Thanks Ken, appreciated, will have a read.
Chris
I waited quite a while before I went from 5.7 to Classic. It was an easy transition and I liked a lot of the improvements that have been offered. Plus, you get PS, Premiere Rush and Portfolio included with your subscription if that matters to you.

--Ken

Updating of LR6 did indeed stop back in 2018, and according to this official Adobe post raw support for the Canon 90D was not available until Lr Classic version 8.3: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Have you actually been able to import CR3 files from the 90D into LR6?

Hi Jim - just got back from spending the morning (with the "mad dogs"!) so will soon find out!

I was surprised to see that the 90D is supported and thinking about it I may well have misunderstood what I read.

So I may well be joining the subscription club and benefiting from the upgrades that Ken refers to.

Thanks, Chris

The 20GB is the cloud Storage that come with Lightroom not Lightroom Classic. Lightroom Classic behaves just like Lightroom 6 but has added features, performance enhancements and can work in the cloud environment. However, the cloud component is not a requirement if you want to stick with a local catalog and local storage of your master image files. And Just like Lr6, LrC can store your images on any volume attached to your computer or on your local network.
So it will be LrC for me with subscription (20GB), As I plan to store images on a HD attached to my PC, the small capacity of 20GB is of no concern.

One last question, will I still be able to access my images if I so decide to stop my subscription with Lightroom and move on to another software?

Updating of LR6 did indeed stop back in 2018, and according to this official Adobe post raw support for the Canon 90D was not available until Lr Classic version 8.3: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Have you actually been able to import CR3 files from the 90D into LR6?
Honestly, Adobe's branding of Lightroom is still confusing me (I may be the only one). I have no problem downloading files from my Canon 5D mk iii and I still use this camera when I shoot events. I also use a Leica M9. All this while I have used legacy LR3 and upgraded to LR6. I never had any problem downloading CR2 files from Canon cameras

I have placed an order for a Leica M11 and will take delivery soon. So it is time to move on to the latest Lightroom editing software. Hence all the related questions and concerns. I plan to stay on this forum as it is dedicated to LR only. BTW, I like Lightroom's file management system. I do also scan from negatives and slides too.

Hi Paul, thank you very much and indeed it is educational. Subsequent questions and answers give me a greater insight. I am clear now there is only Lightroom and Lightroom Classic, right? And my choice will likely be the latter.
BTW, now that I have registered for Lightroom Queen Forum, am I to receive E Book on Lightroom Classic?

Edwin - as you've probably guessed from my earlier post I've had to now subscribe and have chosen the Photography option as my requirements are similar to yours in that I save my images locally.

Likewise the 20GB is of no interest and whether I ever use PS depends on whether I have the time to learn it as like many of us I have other interests. Classic is very similar to earlier LR and apart from having to get to grips with the new features it is pretty much as before and I was able to jump straight in and process a few files taken with my new camera which I was very pleased with.

Chris

Honestly, Adobe's branding of Lightroom is still confusing me (I may be the only one). I have no problem downloading files from my Canon 5D mk iii and I still use this camera when I shoot events. I also use a Leica M9. All this while I have used legacy LR3 and upgraded to LR6. I never had any problem downloading CR2 files from Canon cameras

I have placed an order for a Leica M11 and will take delivery soon. So it is time to move on to the latest Lightroom editing software. Hence all the related questions and concerns. I plan to stay on this forum as it is dedicated to LR only. BTW, I like Lightroom's file management system. I do also scan from negatives and slides too.

Adobe marketing is probably the cause for the app naming confusion. Older versions were called Lightroom and there were no variants from the file based app. I think at one time Adobe wanted the cloud based version of Lightroom to be the successor to the file based app. So that called it Lightroom. ( a Marketing Mistake IMO.) A lack of features and a reluctance to migrate user critical data to a cloud based system. Has prevented this from happening. So Adobe has remarketed the Cloud based for the casual mobile user which it was always intended. The File based app previously called “Lightroom was rebranded Lightroom Classic. This only becomes confusing if you need to deal with the legacy versions of Lightroom (as we do here less and less). The Lightroom Legacy app will eventually go the way of floppy disks and the issue will then die.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Edwin - as you've probably guessed from my earlier post I've had to now subscribe and have chosen the Photography option as my requirements are similar to yours in that I save my images locally.

Likewise the 20GB is of no interest and whether I ever use PS depends on whether I have the time to learn it as like many of us I have other interests. Classic is very similar to earlier LR and apart from having to get to grips with the new features it is pretty much as before and I was able to jump straight in and process a few files taken with my new camera which I was very pleased with.

Chris
While I am sure there are merits in using PS. But like you, I do not plan to spend time to lean PS and Lightroom is good enough for me.

Adobe marketing is probably the cause for the app naming confusion. Older versions were called Lightroom and there were no variants from the file based app. I think at one time Adobe wanted the cloud based version of Lightroom to be the successor to the file based app. So that called it Lightroom. ( a Marketing Mistake IMO.) A lack of features and a reluctance to migrate user critical data to a cloud based system. Has prevented this from happening. So Adobe has remarketed the Cloud based for the casual mobile user which it was always intended. The File based app previously called “Lightroom was rebranded Lightroom Classic. This only becomes confusing if you need to deal with the legacy versions of Lightroom (as we do here less and less). The Lightroom Legacy app will eventually go the way of floppy disks and the issue will then die.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am beginning to have a grip on the product names. For me now, there is Lightroom and Lightroom Classic (this will be my choice eventually). Thank you for taking the time to explain. I agree that it was a marketing mistake and also, leading to much confusion for existing users who were planning to upgrade. Hopefully, this had not deter potential customers who would otherwise move on to C1. FYI, I was considering C1 as an option.

Talking about the naming of the several Lightroom Apps, I post this screen-clip with a chuckle HeHe!:laugh:
This clip is from the Loupedeck site, in all seriousness!

2022-08-12 16_50_19-Adobe Lightroom Naming Tree.jpg (JPEG Image, 1740 × 1360 pixels) — Mozilla...jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back