• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom 6 won't open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sfgreig

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Other (please note in thread)
Hi All,
I haven't been able to open my LR catalog for four days. Still using version 6. The application wasn't responding so I force quit, now when I open it just spins the apple circle of death and I can see my catalog behind it but it never fully opens. There was a "your hard drive doesn't have enough disk space to support critical functions" type message when all of this was going wrong initially, so usually when that happens I go in and move whatever I'm working on to the external drive, where 95% of my photo files are kept. But I can't even get in to move some files and there aren't many to move. I did clean out a few other things and computer hard drive now says it has 85 GB free of space. The rest of my applications are working, but LR won't respond.

I did read online that LR would create a "crash" file when it had to force quit, and to try deleting that and reopening. I did find and delete the lrcat.crash but that didn't work. Can't do any work currently without getting into my LR! Any help or ideas appreciated!!

(Using system Mac OS X Version 10.8.5.)

Thanks,
Sarah

Welcome to the forum. Whenever LR opens a catalog file, it creates a sentinel file so that no other application can open the same catalog file. This sentinel file is the same name as the catalog file but has a ".lock" extension. Removing this file will let LR open the catalog file. However, this may not be your problem. "your hard drive doesn't have enough disk space to support critical functions" sound more like your primary disk drive (Macintosh HD) is full and there is not enough fjreesoace to create temporary files that LR needs to work. You need at least 100GB for LR and other apps to create temporary files in workings storage. Also, if you have less than ~16GB of RAM, OSX will create a swapfile to house unused RAM. It is these last two items that I think may be causing g the spinning disk.

Welcome to the forum. Whenever LR opens a catalog file, it creates a sentinel file so that no other application can open the same catalog file. This sentinel file is the same name as the catalog file but has a ".lock" extension. Removing this file will let LR open the catalog file. However, this may not be your problem. "your hard drive doesn't have enough disk space to support critical functions" sound more like your primary disk drive (Macintosh HD) is full and there is not enough fjreesoace to create temporary files that LR needs to work. You need at least 100GB for LR and other apps to create temporary files in workings storage. Also, if you have less than ~16GB of RAM, OSX will create a swapfile to house unused RAM. It is these last two items that I think may be causing g the spinning disk.

Thank you! I do have 16 gb ram, but computer is macbook pro 2012. Maybe it's just starting to have issues. I've now freed it up to 86 GB free and it used to open with much less, but still no luck, even with .lock file deleted. I'll work on freeing up some more space. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back