• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom 6 strange import results

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenNovember

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 6.12
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have an 11.5 x 48 inch panorama that was saved as a .dng file. I opened the file in Affinity Photo which I use as an external editor for Lightroom 6.

In Affinity Photo I resized the canvas to 16 x 48 and used the inpainting feature ( similar to content aware fill in Photoshop) to fill in the expanded areas.

I saved and exported the file out of Affinity Photo as a TIFF. The exported TIFF was in fact 16 x 48 in size. when I imported the file into Lightroom 6 it imported as a TIFF but it was 11.5 x 48 inches without any of the Affinity changes, the TIFF looked just like the original .dng file. Why would this happened if the TIFF was 16 x 48? Thanks

I have an 11.5 x 48 inch panorama that was saved as a .dng file. I opened the file in Affinity Photo which I use as an external editor for Lightroom 6.

In Affinity Photo I resized the canvas to 16 x 48 and used the inpainting feature ( similar to content aware fill in Photoshop) to fill in the expanded areas.

I saved and exported the file out of Affinity Photo as a TIFF. The exported TIFF was in fact 16 x 48 in size. when I imported the file into Lightroom 6 it imported as a TIFF but it was 11.5 x 48 inches without any of the Affinity changes, the TIFF looked just like the original .dng file. Why would this happened if the TIFF was 16 x 48? Thanks
Sounds like Affinity might work the same as Lightroom, so it saves its edits non-destructively in metadata. Lightroom would not read those and so it shows the original tiff. Just a guess, because I do not have Affinity.

I think that is true. However , just like Lightroom, when you export out as a jpeg or tiff, the edits should be applied.
So maybe you imported the original tiff in Lightroom rather than the exported one?

There was no original Tiff. When Affinity Photo is done with its processing the file is saved as a .afphoto which is a proprietary Affinity format. It doesn't get converted to Tiff until you export it . the exported tiff file had dimensions of 16 x 48 inches in the folder it was saved in which would imply that Affinity destructively applied its changes when it exported. Yet those changes were somehow ignored when it was imported in Lightroom.

There was no original Tiff. When Affinity Photo is done with its processing the file is saved as a .afphoto which is a proprietary Affinity format. It doesn't get converted to Tiff until you export it
What file did you send to Affinity Photo? Usually LR creates a derivative file merging the original file data with the changes made in LR and sends that to the external editor. That file was probably a TIFF or a JPEG. You need to open the .afphoto file in Affinity and export it again giving it a different name from what may have been cataloged in LR.

Hi Clee01l,
I did as you stated. I exported the afphoto file from Affinity as a TIFF file under a completely different name. I imported it into Lightroom and it imported at the original size of 11.5 x 48 without the Affinity changes.

Hi Clee01l,
I did as you stated. I exported the afphoto file from Affinity as a TIFF file under a completely different name. I imported it into Lightroom and it imported at the original size of 11.5 x 48 without the Affinity changes.
Well none of us here are Affinity users, much less experts. The file that you send to Affinity should be changed by Affinity and exported as a completely different file.

I have one problem with your original question:
"I have an 11.5 x 48 inch panorama that was saved as a .dng file. I opened the file in Affinity Photo which I use as an external editor for Lightroom 6. In Affinity Photo I resized the canvas to 16 x 48 and used the inpainting feature ( similar to content aware fill in Photoshop) to fill in the expanded areas."

Image files are measured in pixels not inches. pixels are dimensionless. The printed, you specify a number of pixels per inch (such as 300 PPI) Pixel on the screen are dimensioned according to the spacing on the monitor and fixed. How many pixel are in the image that you call 11.5X48 inches? How many pixels are in the 16X48 inch image that you imported back into Lightroom? You are saying that you added pixels to the top and or bottom of the panorama image. You also say that you do not see the filled pixels in the areas where you expanded the canvas. If the TIFF looks unedited when imported back into Lightroom, then what does it look like the you view that same Tiff file in another photo viewing app (not Affinity)?

There was no original Tiff
Yes, there was and that may be the problem. When Lightroom sends a file to an external editor, it creates a tiff (or psd). If you make edits to this file and then save it as a proprietary Affinity file, then Lightroom will not see the edits being returned, so it will show you the unedited tiff. If you then export a tiff from Affinity and import it, there should be two versions: one with the edits and one without, but this is where things may go wrong. Because Lightroom is still waiting for that original tiff being returned, it may rename it to the exported tiff name, rather than really importing that new tiff. I’m not saying that I know it works this way, but I could imagine something like that happening.

If you work with an application as external editor, you must save the result with the same name, in the same location and the same file format as Lightroom sent it.

How many pixel are in the image that you call 11.5X48 inches? How many pixels are in the 16X48 inch image that you imported back into Lightroom? You are saying that you added pixels to the top and or bottom of the panorama image. You also say that you do not see the filled pixels in the areas where you expanded the canvas. If the TIFF looks unedited when imported back into Lightroom, then what does it look like the you view that same Tiff file in another photo viewing app (not Affinity)?
The 11.5 x 48 inch image is 14470x3517 pixels. The 16 x 48 TIFF is 14400 x 4800 pixels. They are both at 300 DPI. When the TIFF file that looks unedited in Lightroom is viewed in both Windows Photo Viewer and ON1 RAW 2018 it does show all the Affinity edits and does display as 14400 x 4800 pixels.

es, there was and that may be the problem. When Lightroom sends a file to an external editor, it creates a tiff (or psd). If you make edits to this file and then save it as a proprietary Affinity file, then Lightroom will not see the edits being returned, so it will show you the unedited tiff. If you then export a tiff from Affinity and import it, there should be two versions: one with the edits and one without, but this is where things may go wrong. Because Lightroom is still waiting for that original tiff being returned, it may rename it to the exported tiff name, rather than really importing that new tiff. I’m not saying that I know it works this way, but I could imagine something like that happening.

If you work with an application as external editor, you must save the result with the same name, in the same location and the same file format as Lightroom sent it.
Johan, I think I may have confused you by the first sentence of my original post. In this particular instance, I had opened the dng file directly into Affinity Photo, made all the additional edits and the exported it out of Affinity as a TIFF which was saved on my hard drive. The saved TIFF displayed as 14400 x 4800 pixels which was the edited version. I then used the import feature in Lightroom to add the TIFF to my catalog. The imported TIFF displayed as 14470 x 3517 pixels without the Affinity edits . AS the file file was never sent from Lightroom to Affinity I don't uderstand why the Affinity edits didn't come in when imported from the hard drive.

I took it a step further and exported the file out of Affinity as a JPEG. On the hard drive viewed in other programs the JPEG is 14400 x 4800 pixels. I imported the JPEG into my Lightroom catalog and it also came in without the Affinity edits at 14470 x 3517 pixels.

As I said before no one here knows affinity or what you did in Affinity . Now were are speaking in pixels there may be more information.
The TIFF Files from Affinity may be layered and LR only display a flattened image. However, A JPEG file from Affinity is Flattened and LR should show what is recorded The original crop was 14470x3517 pixels Using the JPEG, does LR show the same pixel dimensions?
If you open the Crop function in Develop and switch the crop aspect ratio between "Original" and "As Shot", do you see a difference in the pixels shown? Also open the image again in Affinity and change the treatment (or what Afinity calls it) to B&W. export that image into LR and report if LR is showing a B&W image. By doing this, we can see if any Affinity changes are getting passed through to LR.

I downloaded a trial copy of AffinityPhoto. I opened a Pano DNG file that was in my finder folder.
I then expanded the canvas
Selected areas to paint with the inPainting tool
I was not satisfied with the results but I could see changes.
I then took a brush tool. and painted wormy lines in the expanded area.
I export this file as an 8 bit TIFF
Imported the TIFF file into Lightroom Classic
I got the full expanded canvass including the imprinting and the wormy lines that I added.
here is a downsized JPEG of the file that I imported into Lightroom
D8E_4160-Pano.Affinity..png

Last edited:
If you open the Crop function in Develop and switch the crop aspect ratio between "Original" and "As Shot", do you see a difference in the pixels shown?
clee01i, Thank you! That's the answer. When I opened both the TIFF and the JPEG that were imported into Lightroom and opened the crop tool in Develop the additional pixels were there, in both cases. Any guesses as to why this occurs? Now that I know what to look for its more curiosity than anything. Thanks again.

clee01i, Thank you! That's the answer..... Any guesses as to why this occurs? .
Affinity is not updating the EXIF “As Shot” crop size field whe it resizes the image? However, when I duplicated your process with Affinity, I saw the full upsized image when I imported. So perhaps it is not entirely explained.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back