• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom 6 (Perpetual) Issues after Install – For Windows Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

clee01l

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
If you are a Windows user and are having issues with the new Perpetual License version of the LR6 app after successfully installing , Please post your issue here and we will attempt to resolve and post a Solution. Before adding your issue to this thread, please review the previous posts (especially any posted Solutions) before adding your item to this thread.
It will help with the diagnosis if you will navigate the LR Menu to {Help}{System Info...} and copy, then paste the information found there into your question posted here as a reply.

Last edited:
Jim, I tried it and I get the same result. The "initial" screen with the trees and the mountains does not go away and when I click on it, LR just "hangs". When I start up Task Manager, it shows LR as "not responding", so I click on "End Task" and it goes away as it should. So now I guess my next step is to uninstall it and reinstall it and see if that works. If it doesn't, then I will try downloading it again and try a fresh install.

I still wonder what happened between Thursday (when it was working) and Friday (when it wasn't)???

My question is whether there are any files that will not get removed by the "uninstall" and thus will need to be removed manually? Thanks.

WesternGuy

Jim, I am not sure what a "prefs reset" will do, but I will give it a try and let you know what happens.

WesternGuy
The reset button resets the same files that were referenced earlier to the default(Preferences files in C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences\Light room 6 Preferences.agprefs and Lightroom 6 Startup Preferences.agprefs.) The reset button is a new option in LR6 that was not available in earlier versions of LR to accomplish the same thing I instructed you to do manually.

Thanks Cletis. My remaining question, at this time is one I asked previously - are there any files that will not get removed by the "uninstall" and thus will need to be removed manually? Thanks. :bluegrin:

I am going to be busy, getting ready for a trip to Arizona next week, so I may not be able to get at this until I return on May 9. Rest assured, I still want to get LR 6 up and running.

WesternGuy

Uninstall/reinstall won't do any harm, i.e. nothing of your data gets deleted

Neither of the issues I reported earlier appear in fact to be Lightroom 6 issues. These were difficulties with the personalized name plate and not being able to drag/pan a zoomed image while a tool is selected.

This had been a clean install on a new laptop. I have now also installed Lightroom 5.7.1, which exhibits exactly the same behaviour with both issues.

So, now it is on to HP to try to resolve what must be a driver issue. I don't care about the identity plate too much, but the inability to pan the image while the spot removal tool is selected is a major issue for me.

Graham

Thanks for letting us know, Graham.

I have switched off use graphics processor, reset my prefs and rebooted but I am still getting this frequent, annoying screen redraw. Has anyone come across a fix? I don't get it in 5.7.

Any possibility of doing a video capture of the problem? I'm not sure what it is I should be looking for.

I have switched off use graphics processor, reset my prefs and rebooted but I am still getting this frequent, annoying screen redraw. Has anyone come across a fix? I don't get it in 5.7.
I don't think any one has identified the issue. Submit a bug report to Adobe describing in detail exactly the issue and perhaps including you video component including the video driver being used. You might want to make sure the video and the mouse driver are up to date and that you have all of the latest Windows patches installed for your OS.

That last bit would be the first thing an Adobe engineer would say, so do it first and check the problem is still there before submitting a bug report.

Sure, it's worth a try. I'd still like to see a video capture of the problem though.

Thanks Cletis. My remaining question, at this time is one I asked previously - are there any files that will not get removed by the "uninstall" and thus will need to be removed manually? Thanks. :bluegrin:

I am going to be busy, getting ready for a trip to Arizona next week, so I may not be able to get at this until I return on May 9. Rest assured, I still want to get LR 6 up and running.

WesternGuy

We have another user who has just reported an identical-looking problem (hanging at the Splash Screen). Victoria has suggested trying to sign out of the CC desktop app, then signing back in again. Click on the "gear" icon at the top of the CC desktop app window, select Preferences, then click on Sign Out. The sign back in again, then try starting Lightroom again. Any difference?

I have the same problem as Westernguy. Installed LR6 yesterday, started it (NB I have removed the comment that I started it multiple times on the day - not sure now)- did some develop and library work (no imports), exited it, catalogue optimised and backed up OK (I can see the Lrcat.zip file), so all good. Went in today and I have exactly the same problem as described above by Westernguy with a few more clues for you (maybe). (Maybe the fellow with the subscription version has a hint??)
So when I installed it (its a perpetual licence update) there was an option to enable LR mobile (or something like that) - the enable disable button was not that clear as to what its state was. When I ran it up, in the upper LH corner it was telling me I had 30 days left on my free trial.
Today when I first ran it (first time it failed) there was a box saying it could not contact a server, I waited a while and cancelled out. Then exited using the X (top RH corner) with windows terminating the program. Subsequent running up looks exactly like the symptoms being reported by Westernguy but now without the inital box saying it can't contact a server. I have only ever used LR in standalone mode - but is the LR Mobile thing the server that is not being contacted?? Just guessing here......

"Victoria has suggested trying to sign out of the CC desktop app, then signing back in again. Click on the "gear" icon at the top of the CC desktop app window, select Preferences, then click on Sign Out. The sign back in again, then try starting Lightroom again. Any difference?"
Sorry for being dopey - but what is the CC dektop app how do I get into it and is this relevant to my problem?? - I'm thinking of doing an uninstall and going back to LR5.7 but i'll wait a a day or so before doing so if it helps others to resolve the issues.

And when I uninstall, I presume I delete "Lightroom Catalogue.Lrcat.lock" and "Lightroom Catalogue.lrcat-journal"???
Also I have a folder called "Lightroom 5 Catalog Previews.lrdata" as well as "Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata" - I presume I delete the latter.
And there is only one smart previews folder "Lightroom Catalog Smart Previews.lrdata". "Lightroom 5 Catalog Smart Previews.lrdata" no longer exists. (Argh... and i didn't back up before the upgrade!!!) So I assume I can use an older copy of Lightroom 5 Catalog Smart Previews.lrdata and then do something to generate the ones that are missing or can i just rename the existing one (Lightroom Catalog Smart Previews.lrdata) to that ie Lightroom 5 Catalog Smart Previews.lrdata. ????

Last edited:
WesternGuy, if LR6 will not start properly, how did you create a new catalog called LR6.lrcat?

How about trying the following? Delete all your catalogs (or if this is too extreme, do something reversible with them so that LR cannot find them, such as zip up any existing ones, or rename the extension of your catalogs, or rename the folder containing them to something which LR has not accessed before - anything so that LR will fail in its attempt to open the last catalog it knew about, because it is not where it was last time it opened). Also delete (or rename the extensions of) all your old preferences files. Then try again and see if you get past the splash screen. If you do, then the problem is a corrupt catalog, and you can start again creating a new one.

Graham

Last edited:
LR6 hanging during startup

WesternGuy, if LR6 will not start properly, how did you create a new catalog called LR6.lrcat?

How about trying the following? Delete all your catalogs (or if this is too extreme, do something reversible with them so that LR cannot find them, such as zip up any existing ones, or rename the extension of your catalogs, or rename the folder containing them to something which LR has not accessed before - anything so that LR will fail in its attempt to open the last catalog it knew about, because it is not where it was last time it opened). Also delete (or rename the extensions of) all your old preferences files. Then try again and see if you get past the splash screen. If you do, then the problem is a corrupt catalog, and you can start again creating a new one.

Graham

Westernguy has an earlier post where (like me) LR6 worked fine on the day of install (just not on the next day).......that's how he has an LR6.lrcat. My post of my problem (exactly same symptoms as Westernguy's) has some more diagnostic info that may be useful.

Graham

Thanks Graham. I never thought about a corrupt catalog. The only thing is, and maybe it isn't relevant here, I can still run LR 5.7 and it finds everything. So, I am wondering, since LR6 creates a new catalog, is it possible that the problem lies with this new catalog and where LR6 is looking for it? Where is it supposed to be?

When I first start LR6, it converted my old LR catalog and created the new LR6 catalog. When this catalog is created and LR then tries to run it. it hangs up, except it didn't do this the first day when I installed it - go figure why it ran then and not now .:confused: I will definitely try your suggestion of getting rid of all the "old" catalogs and preference files and see if that helps.

WesternGuy

Sure, it's worth a try. I'd still like to see a video capture of the problem though.

I did a reinstall (an overwrite) of the then current LR6. The problem has gone so no video I'm afraid Jim.

Unfortunately the new install then would not 'convert' from CC to LR6. I had signed out but each time I started up again it asked me to sign in and wouldn't progress if I didn't. I searched here and found that signing in with another Adobe ID of mine not associated with CC would allow me to re-enter my licence key and it worked. I wonder what my licence count is now....?

This system is rather baffling and does lead me to wonder about the future of LR as a standalone product. What we have at the moment appears to be a bit of a kludge.

"Victoria has suggested trying to sign out of the CC desktop app, then signing back in again. Click on the "gear" icon at the top of the CC desktop app window, select Preferences, then click on Sign Out. The sign back in again, then try starting Lightroom again. Any difference?"
Sorry for being dopey - but what is the CC dektop app how do I get into it and is this relevant to my problem?? - I'm thinking of doing an uninstall and going back to LR5.7 but i'll wait a a day or so before doing so if it helps others to resolve the issues.

In your system tray, do you see an icon that looks like two interlocked circles, see attached:

attachment.php

If so, that's the app I'm talking about. If it's there, open it then sign out and back in again. See here. Do that with Lightroom not running. Does that clear the issue?

If it's not there, go to adobe.com using your browser, sign out and sign back in again (using the same Adobe ID you used when you first opened LR6). Then try starting Lightroom.

Don't worry too much about the previews, you can always rebuild them once we get you back up and running.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-04-27 09.16.46.png
    Screenshot 2015-04-27 09.16.46.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 538
Last edited by a moderator:
.:confused: I will definitely try your suggestion of getting rid of all the "old" catalogs and preference files and see if that helps.

WesternGuy

Did you try my suggestion about signing out/in to the CC app? See post #38.

LR6 Hangs at Startup

In your system tray, do you see an icon that looks like two interlocked circles, see attached:

attachment.php

If so, that's the app I'm talking about. If it's there, open it then sign out and back in again. See here. Do that with Lightroom not running. Does that clear the issue?

If it's not there, go to adobe.com using your browser, sign out and sign back in again (using the same Adobe ID you used when you first opened LR6). Then try starting Lightroom.

Don't worry too much about the previews, you can always rebuild them once we get you back up and running.

Thanks for your advice Jim. I went to Adobe.com - signed out and back in. Then ran up LR6 and this time I got the splash screen and additionally (not previously) the left and right panels partially populated (not sure how populated but certainly got just a bit further in than previously) and also got the Server Busy dialog box again - so like my first restart today when it hung for the first time - I tried to run up the Snip tool but the dialog box disappeared. I have tried to replicate stuff (sign in and out, reboot etc) but only get the initial splash screen again (no Server Busy dialog box). Maybe it a 24 hr thing or a new day thing. So i'll try again tomorrow.

Also my previous post maybe incorrect in that after instal and intial start, I'm not sure that I exited and restarted it. There is only one Lrcat.zip backup file so I'm not sure (2 would have been conclusive proof of a restart). I'll edit that post.

Hi,

I have just upgraded to LR6 Perpetual. At the moment I have two issues.

1. The constrain crop in lens corrections is not working any more. Any auto, level or vertical adjustments always revert back to the uncropped image.
2. LR doesn't recognize my video card as being OpenGL compatible (Graphics processor acceleration has been disabled due to errors).

As I upgraded to take advantage of the extra speed I am just a little disappointed. I just hope I don't run into any more issues.

Lightroom version: 6.0 [1014445]
License: Perpetual
Operating system: Windows 8.1 Home Premium Edition
Version: 6.3 [9600]
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 4
Processor speed: 2.2 GHz
Built-in memory: 8104.2 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 8104.2 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 278.0 MB (3.4%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 237.5 MB
Memory cache size: 0.0 MB
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 2
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
System DPI setting: 192 DPI (high DPI mode)
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 3200x1800
Input types: Multitouch: Yes, Integrated touch: Yes, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: Yes

Graphics Processor Info:
Check OpenGL support: Failed
Vendor: Intel
Version: 3.3.0 - Build 10.18.10.3304
Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400
LanguageVersion: 3.30 - Build 10.18.10.3304

1. Press the Alt key when you make an Upright correction (it should tell you that below the upright controls - see attached):

attachment.php

2. Best you can do for now is to ensure that you're graphics driver is up-to-date/

Attachments

• Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    23.6 KB · Views: 557
Thanks Jim, I missed that.
Was it like that in 5.7? What does the checkbox "Constrain crop" actually do now? I'm pretty sure I didn't have to Press <Alt> in 5.7. But then again I am having quite a few brain farts these days.
Thanks,
Gerry.
The drivers are up-to-date so I guess I will have to contact Lenovo, Adobe or Intel directly:-(

Was it like that in 5.7? What does the checkbox "Constrain crop" actually do now? I'm pretty sure I didn't have to Press <Alt> in 5.7

Yes, it was identical in LR 5.7

"Constrain crop" makes sure that the cropped area is filled with parts of your image. If there would otherwise be blank areas, the cropped area shrinks. If you do not have this checked, then the original crop you selected is maintained even if the end result is a partially blank image. It is easy to see if you rotate an image. Rotate it with "constrain crop" checked, and you will see the cropped area shrinks: you lose some of the image outside the cropped area, which is filled with as much of your image as fits in it once it is rotated. Then try the same thing with the option unchecked - the image will rotate, the cropped area will remain the same size, and you will see white areas in the corners where there is not enough original image to fill them. The same goes for correcting verticals: check the box and you lose some pixels, but the whole cropped area is filled with as much of your image as will fit in it, uncheck it and you will end up with triangular white areas along the sides where your image is no longer the same shape as your cropped area.

I always have "constrain crop" filled because I do not want accidental triangular border slivers, unless I plan to fill them in Photoshop as part of a different process.

Graham

Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back