• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom 6 (Perpetual) Issues after Install – For Windows Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

clee01l

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
If you are a Windows user and are having issues with the new Perpetual License version of the LR6 app after successfully installing , Please post your issue here and we will attempt to resolve and post a Solution. Before adding your issue to this thread, please review the previous posts (especially any posted Solutions) before adding your item to this thread.
It will help with the diagnosis if you will navigate the LR Menu to {Help}{System Info...} and copy, then paste the information found there into your question posted here as a reply.

Last edited:
The 6.0.1 patch update is supposed to fix that start up issue, so why not install that first to see if it fixes the issue. You can download and install the update from here. Scroll down to the Updates section.

Okay, I downloaded an installed the "patch 6.01". Now, when I start up LR6 (6.01), it asks me press the "Import" button to begin and it starts importing my entire picture file into LR. Now I am really confused. Why does it just not create a new catalog and go from there? Now when I check the listing, I have the following folders:

Lightroom 5 Catalog Previews.lrdata
Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata
Lightroom Catalog-2 Previews.lrdata
Lightroom Catalog-3 Previews.lrdata
Lightroom Settings

and the following files:

Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat
Lightroom Catalog.lrcat
Lightroom Catalog.lrcat-journal

Now I can guess that the ones with the "5" in them are from LR 5.7. Are the others from LR 6.01? Which one should I keep or delete? In all the years of having Lightroom, I have never ever encountered such a diabolical situation as this - why? I can only guess that they are trying to force us folks who only use LR to use the Cloud combination of LR + PS, otherwise why would they make this such a difficult and frustrating process? This is the sort of BS that happens when one company gains such a monopoly on this type of software. :mad2:

Is there another patch that I need to install on top of "6.01", or should I start over again by uninstalling LR6 and re-installing it and then the 6.01 patch?

Any insight that anyone would care to offer will be greatly appreciated.

WesternGuy

Do you know the name and location of the catalog that you were using with LR5? If you do, start LR6 and do File>Open Catalog and in the resulting browser select that LR5 catalog. You'll get the "Do you want to upgrade" dialog, which you should accept, and LR6 will create a new version of that LR5 catalog, in the same folder, and with a "-2" extension.

Try that.

Jim, that seems to have worked. It created a bunch of files with a 2-3 extensions, so I am not going to worry about what it does as long as it works. Hopefully, it will be working in 2 or three weeks. I have to go away for a couple of days, so we will see if it is still working when I return.

Thank you very much for all your help with this. :mrgreen: :hail:

WesternGuy

Last edited:
Good to hear. Make yourself a note to clean up the catalog folder when you get back....if you're not sure, check back in here and we'll help you figure it out.

When I open Lightroom 6 in the Library View it show the current image in Loupe but has small panel saying loading that never disappears.
When adding Captions, when I move to the next picture the Info and metadata panel do not update. If I edit the Caption it edits the previous image shown not the current one.
When I try to exit Lightroom it will not close, I am forced to use Task manager to end it. Version 5 still works perfectly.
Dump of Info
Lightroom version: 6.0.1 [ 1018573 ]
License: Perpetual
Operating system: Windows 8.1 Home Premium Edition
Version: 6.3 [9600]
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 12
Processor speed: 4.0 GHz
Built-in memory: 16285.8 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16285.8 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 522.2 MB (3.2%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 479.1 MB
Memory cache size: 79.8 MB
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 6
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 1920x1200, 2) 1920x1200
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 352.86
Renderer: GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2
LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom
Library Path: M:\Lightroom5\All Photographs_V5-2.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\stefan2014\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) Behance
2) Canon Tether Plugin
3) Facebook
4) Flickr
5) Leica Tether Plugin
6) Merge to 32-bit
7) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Updated Toolkit: Adobe Camera Raw 9.0 for Lightroom 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: Book Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: Develop Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: Import Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: Library Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: Map Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: Monitor Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: Print Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: Slideshow Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: Web Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.AgNetClient 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.AgWFBridge 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.Headlights 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.LibraryToolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.MultiMonitorToolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.archiving_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.bridgetalk 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.catalogconverters 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.cef_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.coretech_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.curculio 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.discburning 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.email 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.export 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.ftpclient 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.help 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.iac 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.imageanalysis 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.layout_module_shared 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.pdf_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.sdk 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.sec 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.socket 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.store_provider 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.substrate 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.ui 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.video_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.xml 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.wichitafoundation 6.0 (build 1014445)

Adapter #1: Vendor : 10de
Device : 1184
Subsystem : 11841569
Revision : a1
Video Memory : 1985
Adapter #2: Vendor : 1414
Device : 8c
Subsystem : 0
Revision : 0
Video Memory : 0
AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024
AudioDeviceName: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2
AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100
Build: Uninitialized
Direct2DEnabled: false
GPUDevice: not available
OGLEnabled: true

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Does this happen for every image you select? The "Loading" message indicates that it's trying to load the preview, which should be pretty instant if you're in Fit or Fill view. Are you able to get into Grid view OK? If you are, try selecting a bunch of the images then render 1:1 previews. If that works, then try going into Loupe view for one of those selected images. Do you get the "Loading" message then? If not, move to the others and check those. If that works, then select one of the images that you didn't build the previews for, and does that load OK? If not, I'd be tempted to dump the preview cache and have Lightroom build a new one.

One other thing you might want to try first, would be to turn off the GPU option (Preferences>Performance tab) to see if that has any effect. It probably shouldn't, but stranger things have happened.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Does this happen for every image you select? The "Loading" message indicates that it's trying to load the preview, which should be pretty instant if you're in Fit or Fill view. Are you able to get into Grid view OK? If you are, try selecting a bunch of the images then render 1:1 previews. If that works, then try going into Loupe view for one of those selected images. Do you get the "Loading" message then? If not, move to the others and check those. If that works, then select one of the images that you didn't build the previews for, and does that load OK? If not, I'd be tempted to dump the preview cache and have Lightroom build a new one.

One other thing you might want to try first, would be to turn off the GPU option (Preferences>Performance tab) to see if that has any effect. It probably shouldn't, but stranger things have happened.

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response.
Just turned on my PC again and now I cannot replicate the behaviour, no Loading message, everything works snappily, info and Metadata updating fine. On both occasions I only had Lightroom running so cannot see that it was some other task degrading the system. I have an i7 overclocked with water cooling with a Nvidea GTX770 with latest drivers. I noticed that last time Lightroom kept refreshing the System Info filling it bit by bit this time it was all there instantly so thinking that Windows might have been doing something major in the background but if it was it went on for best part of 30 mins while I was struggling with Lightroom. Mystified. Also earlier when I switched to Version 5 after closing V6 as unusable it ran smoothly without issues which makes it even more puzzling. It is not due to Lightroom V6 building a new cache in the background is it? I only installed yesterday, today was the first time I had it on for any length of time.

The only thing that Lightroom might have been running in the background is the Face Recognition indexing (if you have it enabled). The preview cache is usually "stolen" from the LR5 catalog when doing the upgrade, so it shouldn't be that.

A mystery perhaps, but obviously you'll be keeping an eye on things in case it starts mis-behaving again.

Am I the only one regretting to have updated to LR6 from LR5.7? What a waste of money. Everything runs slow, even with GPU and face detection turned off. Yes I know, I could buy a new laptop, but why? Why should everything take at least double time? Why does the screen get white with at "waiting for response" all the time?

Adobe, this is a big disappointment! I am considering to go back to 5.7, but then I will loose a month work I guess :(

jjespdk, Welcome to the forum. Have you updated to LR6.01 yet? This helped correct some early issues although not all.

Because your profile is incomplete, I do not know the specs of the machine that you are currently using. If you have less than 8GB RAM and an older dual core CPU, your set up might be under powered. Performance is generally related to the components installed, the amount of RAM and the number of CPU cores. Having the right GPU can help too, but the wrong GPU can hurt too. You also need a lot of free space on the drive where your working storage is maintained (usually C:\). I usually recommend at least 125GB of free space for working storage. LR will use a big chunk of that. If you have a lot of crap apps running in the background, they can steal CPU cycles that LR could be using. On Windows machines, Virus Scanners can interfere with critical LR files and LR temporary files. Try starting LR in safe mod with your virus scanner off and see if performance improves. If it does then, restarting background tasks one at a time until performance slows will help identify problem apps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all!

In the last reply from Cletus I´ve read that Virus Scanners can interfere on crucial Lightroom files. I knew that scanners can slow-down software, but somehow I can´t remember this to be so explicit in LR5.7. The startup from LR6 on the other hand did take much time on my laptop. Although it is not the fastest and the newest hardware, it should be enough for using LR though. But now, putting LR6 on the white-list of the antivirus-programm did the trick. Starting up lasts about 10-15 seconds, which is acceptable for my laptop.

So thanks for the tip.

Kind regards,

G.H. Reilink

.... But now, putting LR6 on the white-list of the antivirus-programm did the trick. Starting up lasts about 10-15 seconds, which is acceptable for my laptop.
If I could make the bold text blink, I would. So many of the woes attributed to Windows or some significant windows program like LR can be attributed to this process. The way virus apps work is monitoring files that get opened by other (possibly malicious) apps. Before the file is released to the calling program, the virus scanner interrupts the flow to inspect the file for virus signatures. Programs like LR write to a lot of files: the catalog file the Previews database, the previews, and a host of temporary files in working storage. If a virus scanning program interrupts the process for each file a few microseconds, it accumulates and l=slows down the whole process. This is one reason that I opted for OS X and switched from being a long time Windows user (20+ years). I can get by not running a virus scanner. Not because OS X is virus free, but because most OS X vulnerabilities get caught and patched by Apple and there are fewer malicious apps that target OS X.

Thanks for replying again. The only thing what puzzles me is why LR6 seems to have more "problems" with the virus software as LR5 did. LR5 did his job good in terms of speed. And I didn´t put it on the white-list.

A first start of LR6 lasts about 20-25 seconds now, thereafter the before mentioned 10-15 seconds. As I said, acceptable.

So, thanks again.

Kind regards,

G.H. Reilink

jjespdk, Welcome to the forum. Have you updated to LR6.01 yet? This helped correct some early issues although not all.

Because your profile is incomplete, I do not know the specs of the machine that you are currently using. If you have less than 8GB RAM and an older dual core CPU, your set up might be under powered. Performance is generally related to the components installed, the amount of RAM and the number of CPU cores. Having the right GPU can help too, but the wrong GPU can hurt too. You also need a lot of free space on the drive where your working storage is maintained (usually C:\). I usually recommend at least 125GB of free space for working storage. LR will use a big chunk of that. If you have a lot of crap apps running in the background, they can steal CPU cycles that LR could be using. On Windows machines, Virus Scanners can interfere with critical LR files and LR temporary files. Try starting LR in safe mod with your virus scanner off and see if performance improves. If it does then, restarting background tasks one at a time until performance slows will help identify problem apps.

Thank you Cletus, yes I have updated. And you are right. My laptop i an older Dell with a dual core I7 processor and only 6gb ram. But my point is, that even if I invested in a new up to date laptop, I am pretty sure LR6 would run slower than LR5.7 would on my old laptop. To me it looks like the coding of LR is beginning to outplay it self. It is very common in software development. A product will over time be its own enemy. To much legacy code that conflicts with the new code and functionally. I can't say that this is the case for LR, but to me all alarm bells are ringing.... That said, I love LR. The best software for a photographer ever imo.

Regards
Jan

Thank you Cletus, yes I have updated. And you are right. My laptop i an older Dell with a dual core I7 processor and only 6gb ram. But my point is, that even if I invested in a new up to date laptop, I am pretty sure LR6 would run slower than LR5.7 would on my old laptop. To me it looks like the coding of LR is beginning to outplay it self. It is very common in software development. A product will over time be its own enemy. To much legacy code that conflicts with the new code and functionally. I can't say that this is the case for LR, but to me all alarm bells are ringing.... That said, I love LR. The best software for a photographer ever imo.

Regards
Jan
Actually with LR6 just the opposite is true. LR6 code was re-written and all of the legacy 32 bit accommodations have now been dropped. Significant parts of LR were rewritten to improve speed. Hence the addition of the use of the GPU to accelerate performance in development. Early in its release (v6.0, before v6.0.1) I did a side by side timing of low long it took LR5.7.1 to open to an image versus LR6. LR6 was about three times faster.

With a state of the art hardware, LR6 will do the job.

The attached screenshot may be of interest. I routinely conduct performance tests for comparison purposes (initially going back to LR3 using Canon 5DII files, but more recently updating to 5DIII files). The tests involve tasks that I can objectively time, specifically 1:1 preview generation and exporting. I've just updated my chart with a direct comparison of LR5.7.1 and LRCC, and the tests are run on both my Mac and Windows systems, with the latter being run twice to compare the effect of having hyper-threading enabled/disabled.

attachment.php

A couple of observations:

1. These are objective timings, i.e. it's pretty safe to draw conclusions from the results. But how Lightroom performs in daily use is much more difficult to assess, and for sure I've already noted that on the Windows platform LRCC takes several seconds longer than LR5.7 to start, but other than that I'd be hard pressed to notice any difference between the two. With the GPU enabled I definitely see a tiny bit more smoothness when pushing sliders around, but the difference is so small it really makes no difference.
But I'm not a power user, so I very rarely run into performance problems that start to occur in longer sessions....I do sometimes have keyword panel slowdowns in an elongated session, but that occurs using both versions.

2. Looking at the specifics of the timings, pay no attention to the fact that on OSX everything is significantly faster than the same task on Windows....the Mac system (late 2013 model MBP) is 4 years younger than the Windows desktop system, so I expected that major performance boost (if I hadn't seen it I'd have wanted my money back!). So looking beyond that it's interesting, to me at least, to note that LRCC on my MBP is a little bit faster than LR5.7 in rendering 1:1 previews, but consistently a little bit slower than 5.7 on the Windows system. I think I'll try mentioning that to the Adobe team.

3. The Export timings do show a significant performance increase using LRCC versus LR5.7, on both platforms. This is as expected due to the engineering enhancements that Adobe made to the Export process.

4. Windows users might be interested to note how little difference there seems to be whether hyper-threading is enabled or not.

Attachments

• Screenshot_31_05_2015_16_49.jpg
    Screenshot_31_05_2015_16_49.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 428
Left / Right keyboard selection not working in Develop following image deletion.

In the Develop module, with any photo selected I can navigate freely left and right using my keyboard cursor keys. Once I perform a certain action such as deleting a photo, the keyboard control focus is lost from the filmstrip, and although the next photo is shown as selected, pressing left or right will not select adjacent images. Using CTRL + left or right still works (ugh... two button combos!) but until I mouse select again on a filmstrip thumbnail, left/right image selection does not work. This unexpected behaviour is not seen in the library module where I can delete a photo, and left/right selection still works... it does not matter what panels are showing or what full/semi screen mode I am working on... the problem persists. Can anyone else carify this behaviour, and are there any solutions please? (other than CTRL+left/right). Thanks.

I wish to buy the upgrade version of Lightroom 6 (perpetual). Currently have 5.7. Cost is $79.
Once I have paid presume Adobe will send me a link. Will I get a full separate version of 6 or will I just get my 5.7 upgraded.? Will I still have my 5.7.? Will I need to move my catalog from 5.7 to 6 ?

I wish to buy the upgrade version of Lightroom 6 (perpetual). Currently have 5.7. Cost is $79.
Once I have paid presume Adobe will send me a link. Will I get a full separate version of 6 or will I just get my 5.7 upgraded.? Will I still have my 5.7.? Will I need to move my catalog from 5.7 to 6 ?
If you upgrade through Adobe you will get a link at the time of purchase, It will install LR6.1 as a separate app (verify that it s v6.1). It will be up to you to uninstall LR5 app. When you open LR6 for the first time, It will find your LR5 catalog file and offer to copy and convert it to a structure compatible with LR6. From this point forward you will use the LR6 catalog. The LR5 catalog will remain intact and in place.

Since the initial flurry of issues is now over, we're closing this thread. If you're still having issues, please feel free to start a new thread about your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back