clee01l

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
If you are a Windows user and are having issues with the new Perpetual License version of the LR6 app after successfully installing , Please post your issue here and we will attempt to resolve and post a Solution. Before adding your issue to this thread, please review the previous posts (especially any posted Solutions) before adding your item to this thread.
It will help with the diagnosis if you will navigate the LR Menu to {Help}{System Info...} and copy, then paste the information found there into your question posted here as a reply.

Last edited:
I'm not reading where anyone on this thread is still having the total non-start issue, so I'll add that one. I've signed out/in, uninstalled/reinstalled, alt/shifted, and deleted SLCache - all unsuccessful, though with alt/shift, I do get the pop-up window asking about the preference reset.

I've spent hours on this, and am very concerned to see no possible alternative fixes posted yet. Seems like late last week there were numerous others having the same difficulty. Anything yet??

Hi Jim and Graham
Just want to apologize for asking what I already knew. Been a bit stressed out lately as everything has been going wrong:-/ I appreciate you taking the time to answer.
Sorry,
Gerry.

No worries, Gerry. Even if it doesn't help you, it could help someone else....so there are no dumb questions here!

LR6 (perpetual licence) Hanging problem

LR6 (perpetual licence) Hanging problem - I will recap the problem and in doing so also provide some new info. I note that none of the other reports on this problem are inconsistent with what I describe below.

I upgraded from LR5.7 to LR6 and then ran it up and did some Library and Develop work and exited opting to backup catalogue - all good. (I thought I might have exited more than once without backing up but I'm not sure).
In the process of initial instal / running up I inadvertantly selected to activate a 30 day trial of CC Mobile (and there was a message on the top left hand corner of the LR6 screen saying I had 30 days of trial left).

The NEXT DAY when I went to run up LR6 it presented me with a "Server Busy" dialog box on the splash screen (when I tried to capture this with the snip tool, it disappeared when I clicked on the Windows start menu) - (so I took a photo of it today when I managed to replicate the problem see below, and then snipped it from Windows Live gallery - its attached as well - sorry the attachments are all over the place.)

attachment.php

After that, irespective of reboots and restarts, LR6 startup did not get quite as far, but it still got to a splash screen (without "Server Busy" dialog box, or some population of side panels). I provide a screen shot above.

Then Jim Wilde (many thanks) suggested I log out and back into Adobe.com - I did and I got the spash screen with the "Server Busy" dialog box and some side panels as well on the splash screen - so this (signing out /back in) did make a slight difference to how far the splash screen stuff went. However this only worked once, then i was back to the screen shot screen on subsequent reboots/restarts irrespective of logging out / in.
Then today is a new day, I logged out/in, ran up LR6 and got back to the "server busy" dialog box amd splash screen (once only -but enough to get the photo which I snipped). Repeated attempts and I'm back to the splash screen above.
attachment.php

Tomorrow (it seems you only get one go per day) when I sign out/in, and I run up LR6 and get the "server busy dialog" box I will select the option "switch to" and see what happens.

Gurus - Does any of this new info help??

Attachments

• Initial splash screen.jpg
    Initial splash screen.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 765
  • Server Busy snip.jpg
    Server Busy snip.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 630
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update. Confusing!! One wacky thought, have you tried turning off your router before starting Lightroom?

Thanks for the update. Confusing!! One wacky thought, have you tried turning off your router before starting Lightroom?

Thanks for the thought. I disconnected my ethernet cable (I'm hardwired into the router) and I got the Server Error dialog box - and have made several more attempts but no more dialog box. I also got that (dialog box) earlier today on one of my (many) other attempts to vary things. So its not that you have to wait a day to get the server dialog box but there is some sort of timeout in play.

I have now had an opportunity to click on the options in the Server Error dialog box on the couple of times its popped up. The "Switch to": option opens up my Windows Start menu (but what do I do then) and the Retry option has no effect. When I go into Task Manager - LR is the only app running.

This might be something that we can fix (fiddle with catalogues etc) but my sense is that it is a deeper issue than that, maybe with a miscommunication between two internal processes or threads - maybe one is leaving a flag set that it shouldn't or some such thing - wonder if it's linked to CC being more emeshed in the product??

I think I'll de-instal LR6.0 and go back to LR 5.7 and maybe wait for LR6.1. (or perhaps try a reinstal of LR6.0, but not tomorrow.)

Thanks again for the time you spent looking at this - bummer that we are not able to solve it.

ray

Neither of the issues I reported earlier appear in fact to be Lightroom 6 issues. These were difficulties with the personalized name plate and not being able to drag/pan a zoomed image while a tool is selected.

This had been a clean install on a new laptop. I have now also installed Lightroom 5.7.1, which exhibits exactly the same behaviour with both issues.

So, now it is on to HP to try to resolve what must be a driver issue. I don't care about the identity plate too much, but the inability to pan the image while the spot removal tool is selected is a major issue for me.

Graham

The touchpad problem is not a driver or HP problem, its actually designed to work that way
The touchpad is disabled by default while a key is depressed on the keyboard, this is to prevent you actidently brushing the touchpad with your arm or wrist while typing and moving the cursor

Open control panel, and then the touchpad, there is an option there to disable this feature (look for 'Palm Check', 'Touch Check' or similar named)
This should solve the pan while zoomed problem

Last edited:
Thanks for the thought. I disconnected my ethernet cable (I'm hardwired into the router) and I got the Server Error dialog box - and have made several more attempts but no more dialog box. I also got that (dialog box) earlier today on one of my (many) other attempts to vary things. So its not that you have to wait a day to get the server dialog box but there is some sort of timeout in play.

I have now had an opportunity to click on the options in the Server Error dialog box on the couple of times its popped up. The "Switch to": option opens up my Windows Start menu (but what do I do then) and the Retry option has no effect. When I go into Task Manager - LR is the only app running.

This might be something that we can fix (fiddle with catalogues etc) but my sense is that it is a deeper issue than that, maybe with a miscommunication between two internal processes or threads - maybe one is leaving a flag set that it shouldn't or some such thing - wonder if it's linked to CC being more emeshed in the product??

I think I'll de-instal LR6.0 and go back to LR 5.7 and maybe wait for LR6.1. (or perhaps try a reinstal of LR6.0, but not tomorrow.)

Thanks again for the time you spent looking at this - bummer that we are not able to solve it.

ray

Ray, as we've been unable to fix your problem, can I suggest you report it at the Adobe feedback site using the link at the top of the page? There are obviously more Adobe folks hanging out there than here, and hopefully they'll maybe have a handle on the way to fix it (but if they do, could you report it back here so that we all know?).

Sorry we've not been able to help, it's almost as frustrating for us as it must be for you.

I'm not reading where anyone on this thread is still having the total non-start issue, so I'll add that one. I've signed out/in, uninstalled/reinstalled, alt/shifted, and deleted SLCache - all unsuccessful, though with alt/shift, I do get the pop-up window asking about the preference reset.

I've spent hours on this, and am very concerned to see no possible alternative fixes posted yet. Seems like late last week there were numerous others having the same difficulty. Anything yet??

Sorry that we missed your post. As you might have seen there are still some startup issues that we're struggling to resolve, yours being one of them, as you've done all the things that we would have suggested. One more thing I'd probably be trying in your situation: uninstalling LR6, logging out off Adobe completely, create a new Adobe Id, then go through the standard CC Trial route using the new ID, let it install the CC app, let the app then install the LR CC Trial, start using that if it works OK, run for a few days, then convert the CC trial to perpetual LR6. That's what I'd be trying.

If that doesn't work (or if you've already tried it) we'd suggest that you post your issue to the official Adobe feedback site: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

There'll be some Adobe folks hanging around at that site, so hopefully they'll be able to resolve the problem for you (but if they do, could you let us know?).

Further to my earlier post regarding the pan while zoomed problem

Here is a quick test to ascertain whether it is a simple setup fix on your system

On your desktop, hold down the spacebar (or any other key for that matter) and see if your pointer will move. if it will not, that is the reason why the pan while zoomed feature is not working

It seems as different system implement different ways of accessing the options for the 'Palm Check' feature, but its located somewhere within the 'Pointing Device' or 'Mouse' settings

On my Acer branded laptop, the easiest way is to click 'Synaptics Pointing Device' in the Taskbar, from here then choose 'Pointing Device Properties'

This will open this window

attachment.php

From there, Device settings -> Settings and continue to this menu

attachment.php

Reduce the Sensitivity to Minimum as shown and it should solve the pan while zoomed problem
I'm sure other systems will have a similar way to access these settings, at least this will give you some idea of what you are looking for

Attachments

• d78be4a198c714485f6bbd1383fbce5d.png
    d78be4a198c714485f6bbd1383fbce5d.png
    35 KB · Views: 551
  • 0ef04f24868c219d1850826957ce8fd5.png
    0ef04f24868c219d1850826957ce8fd5.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 544
Here is a quick test to ascertain whether it is a simple setup fix on your system

On your desktop, hold down the spacebar (or any other key for that matter) and see if your pointer will move. if it will not, that is the reason why the pan while zoomed feature is not working
Tim, many thanks for your two posts on this - very helpful. You are quite correct - holding down spacebar on the desktop does indeed disable mouse pointer movement via the trackpad.

It seems as different system implement different ways of accessing the options for the 'Palm Check' feature, but its located somewhere within the 'Pointing Device' or 'Mouse' setting
Yes, the settings on my HP Spectre are different. I had already tried setting up a profile that disabled all gestures, thinking along the same lines as you, but this did not help. The Synaptics options in my Control Panel look different to yours, and in particular there is no Palm Check option anywhere. There seems to be no driver option to disable this feature in the version on my laptop.

I am pleased to be able to report, however, that I have found a solution, and a simple one at that :D. If you hold down the ALT key at the same time as the spacebar, then you can pan the zoomed image as you would expect. I discovered this by pure trial and error, and have not found this documented anywhere. Fortunately I am left handed but use the trackpad with my right hand, and this key combination is quite easy for me. The good news for those who find this tricky or want to use their left hand to use the trackpad, is that pressing the AltGr key at the same time as the spacebar has the same effect. This is not unique to Lightroom, and seems to be of general application - going back to the desktop test, holding down Alt-spacebar does not disable mouse movement.

Graham

Great information, guys!

Good afternoon to all!

looking to see if anybody can help out, upgraded to LR6 Perpetual. And surprise LR doesn't recognize my video card as being OpenGL compatible L strange though that OpenGL Extensions Viewer (www.realtech-vr.com/glview/)says that its ok. Any ideas

Lightroom version: 6.0 [1014445]
License: Perpetual
Operating system: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition
Version: 6.1 [7601]
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 4
Processor speed: 2.6 GHz
Built-in memory: 4095.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 4095.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 412.4 MB (10.0%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 394.3 MB
Memory cache size: 110.1 MB
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 1680x1050
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
Check OpenGL support: Failed
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Version: 3.3.11672 Core Profile Context
Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
LanguageVersion: 3.30

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• info3.jpg
    info3.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 536
  • info1.jpg
    info1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 572
  • info2.jpg
    info2.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 549
I just think the card is too old (IIRC the 4800 series was released back in 2008/9?). I had a card from the 5700 series (2010), and that too was rejected by Lightroom. All you can do is make sure the drivers are up-to-date, and if Lightroom still won't enable it then you'll either have to accept that or do what I did and buy a more modern card. Sorry.

Thanks for the quick reply Jim :D, I had my suspicions that it might have been that :cry: would you care to suggest a good card?

JL (João?), Here are two pages from Adobe about GPU implementation. They sum up about what I know about GPU implementation in LR6.
I note that AMD considered your GPU as legacy and stopped support in Oct 2013. The Latest driver is listed as released 10/15/2013 as follows:
Display Driver ver. 8.97.100.11
OpenCL(tm) Driver 10.0.937.2
Catalyst Control Center 2013.0429.2312.39747
So, your GPU may not be supportable by Adobe.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1828580

Thanks for the quick reply Jim :D, I had my suspicions that it might have been that :cry: would you care to suggest a good card?

Plenty of good cards out there, as always. I went with the Geforce GTX 960, fairly new, good reviews, not too expensive. But if you like AMD, the R9 270 would seem to be on a par. Sure you can spend more, but a good 2GB card should be fine. But if you're a heavy LR user, and you can see yourself using a 5K iMac, then the most powerful card you can afford might be your best call.

Hello. I must say this is a very informative web site and forum, so I hope someone can help with a small annoyance I have encountered.

I upgraded from 5.7 to 6 and whereas LR5.7 would automatically start up and go straight to the import screen when an SD card with RAW files was inserted, this no longer happens with LR6.

I have checked the box in LR preferences 'Show import dialog when memory card is detected' and I confirm that LR6 is also set up correctly to import pictures and mixed content in Windows 7 AutoPlay settings. I appreciate it is easy enough to open the import screen whilst LR6 is open, but it is annoying that LR6 will not fire up and do this automatically on my PC when the SD card is inserted. Anyone else having this experience with LR6 or know how I can resolve the problem? Many thanks.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I must say the South-East is showing up well tonight: Essex, Kent, and Sussex!

Regarding your issue, you're not alone with that....in fact, although I don't normally work that way, I have been doing some testing in response to another users' similar problem, and can confirm that it looks like a bug, i.e. I can't get it to work either, though it does work OK with LR5 on the same system. I've already opened a bug report with Adobe, if I hear anything I'll be sure to post back.

Thank you very much Jim. It's reassuring to hear I am not alone with this issue and let's hope Adobe resolve this with 6.1! I'll keep a look out for any update in this thread should Adobe respond to your bug report.

Ray, as we've been unable to fix your problem, can I suggest you report it at the Adobe feedback site using the link at the top of the page? There are obviously more Adobe folks hanging out there than here, and hopefully they'll maybe have a handle on the way to fix it (but if they do, could you report it back here so that we all know?).

Sorry we've not been able to help, it's almost as frustrating for us as it must be for you.

I have already logged the problem - no feedback after 24hrs. Also no "votes" to say others have it. :-(

PLEASE ALL OTHERS WHO HAVE THE HANGING AT STARTUP PROBLEM -Please "vote". Click on the Link at the top of this page to report a bug, I think you will have to log in to Adobe if not already - search for "LR6 (perpetual licence)" and at the bottom of the report click on the voting button to say you also have the problem. Thanks.

And Jim, once again, many thanks - you "guru" guys provide a great service. (Hope you make some money out of it somehow!)

And Jim, once again, many thanks - you "guru" guys provide a great service. (Hope you make some money out of it somehow!)

LOL, only in our dreams!

Hi, welcome to the forum. I must say the South-East is showing up well tonight: Essex, Kent, and Sussex!

Regarding your issue, you're not alone with that....in fact, although I don't normally work that way, I have been doing some testing in response to another users' similar problem, and can confirm that it looks like a bug, i.e. I can't get it to work either, though it does work OK with LR5 on the same system. I've already opened a bug report with Adobe, if I hear anything I'll be sure to post back.

Also Tested it out, yep bug :cry:

Same here ...
Have bought LR6 Standalone update
On my desktop PC, install and works great.
Wanted to install it on my portable for when on terrain : installed, with serial, but LR just doesn't start at all ...
Can't get the 6.0.1 update to test, updates menu greyed out on my desktop, and as it doesn't start on my portable ..
Is it so hard for Adobe to put a link to download the update ??
All this CC is becoming a nightmare even for standalone customers ... They are killing themselves

When you installed on your portable, didn't the CC app install first? If so, have you checked to see if the app is showing the 6.0.1 update available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back