clee01l

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
If you are an OS X user and are having issues with the new Perpetual License version of the LR6 app after successfully installing , Please post your issue here and we will attempt to resolve and post a Solution. Before adding your issue to this thread, please review the previous posts (especially any posted Solutions) before adding your item to this thread.

Doesn't work for me unfortunately, comes up with ........
Lightroom CC/6 update – June 2015
Update is not applicable. Error Code: U44M2P28

The update starts runnung but stops after about 2% withe above message. This is the same for both 6.0.1 and 6.1

Last edited:
Ok, panic over. I reluctantly decided to uninstall and reinstall LR6.0, although I always have a fear of the worst happening! Anyway after reinstallation, the Updates facility from within LR worked right away and installed 6.1 without any problems.
Thanks Jim for looking at it anyway......

Yes, there is an update for the perpetual license version of LR6, to LR 6.1. You can get the download from here.

The reason for the confusion is that the perpetual license version will not receive any new features (such as the DeHaze feature which the LRCC users have received in their 6.1 update), but will still get the update as it contains bug fixes and new camera/lens support. I think that perhaps some users don't quite understand that there is in fact only one actual program that both LRCC and LR6 users receive, but the different licensing methods are used to trigger a different response within the UI. So all users, no matter what license type, will continue to get the updates.....though they may have a different effect, depending on the license type.

Wow, that's rude.

If, as you say, it's essentially the same program with just differing license type, how do they justify keeping new features from perpetual license users.

No, Jack....it really isn't "rude" at all.

Why would perpetual license users expect to get new features? It was made clear from the outset that LR6 perpetual would operate in the same way as all previous LR versions (updates containing bug fixes and camera/lens support), and that the subscription model (with its different payment system) would/could receive new features as well as the bug fixes etc.

See here for more details.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, Jack....it really isn't "rude" at all.

Why would perpetual license users expect to get new features? It was made clear from the outset that LR6 perpetual would operate in the same way as all previous LR versions (updates containing bug fixes and camera/lens support), and that the subscription model (with its different payment system) would/could receive new features as well as the bug fixes etc.

See here for more details.

Because you've said it's the same program as the CC version. And, if it is indeed the same program (except for the licensing), what possible good reason could Adobe have to stop perpetual license holders having the same functions? Except as a nefarious way of forcing you to move to the CC version?

If it is the same program (as you've stated), then Adobe are making more work for themselves by holding some features back from one version. And at the same time, alienating even more users.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because you've said it's the same program as the CC version. And, if it is indeed the same program (except for the licensing), what possible good reason could Adobe have to stop perpetual license holders having the same functions? Except as a nefarious way of forcing you to move to the CC version?...
Perpetual licenses holder pay for a set of features at the time a version is released. When you bought the 6.0 upgrade, you got Panorama & HDR as new features. Whether the release is 6.0 or 6.1 or 6.5 you still have all of the features that you have paid for. Subscription holders pay a monthly fee to get the latest feature set. Perpetual licensees will have to wait for the next Upgrade. Do you want to pay another $79 to get the added features in 6.1 so soon after paying $79 to upgrade from 5.7 to 6.0?
There is nothing nefarious about what Adobe is doing . Not having to wait 15-18 months for new features is an incentive to become a subscriber. This is a natural occurrence in a free capitalist market. You as a consumer have a choice too. You can use the product as offered or you don't.

There is no additional difficulty in the code to separate features by license. A simple IF then ELSE statement in the code determines which function get executed and which get bypassed. The App already has IF then ELSE statements to handle various screen resolutions or Windows vs OS X. They used to have code that operated differently for 32 bit vs 64 bit operating systems. This 32 bit vs 64 bit code has now been removed. There are IF statements inherent in the code that do different things based upon a user response (mouse clicks). Well one of those responses is to buy a perpetual license or a subscription.

I don't understand your point. Why would it make any difference if they maintained two slightly divergent programs? How they choose to deliver the two differently licensed (and differently paid for) "versions" seems immaterial (but quite sensible) to me.

At the end of the day you get exactly what you pay for, which was clearly stated from the outset, and there's nothing "nefarious" about that at all. Are Adobe wanting you to move to subscription? Of course they are, but they're not forcing you to transfer, if you want to stay with a perpetual license then you can....so what's the big deal?

And I'm just about done with discussing this issue here.....if you can't see, or choose not to see, why things are as they are, then I suggest you take up the issue directly with Adobe on one of their forums.

Because you've said it's the same program as the CC version. And, if it is indeed the same program (except for the licensing), what possible good reason could Adobe have to stop perpetual license holders having the same functions? Except as a nefarious way of forcing you to move to the CC version?

If it is the same program (as you've stated), then Adobe are making more work for themselves by holding some features back from one version. And at the same time, alienating even more users.

Hi Jack,

Yes it does seem to make extra work for themselves, however, this seems to be mandated by external regulations not a decision by Adobe to be difficult. Victoria alludes to this in her post for the announcement of the latest release.

From: What’s new in Lightroom CC 2015.1 and Lightroom 6.1?

These features aren’t available in the perpetual Lightroom 6 version (due to revenue recognition laws – don’t ask me, I’m not an accountant!),

Also as Jim as stated this fact, though not the reason, has been explained by Adobe since the announcement of that there would be two versions or Lightroom. I think that this is the first time the products have diverged so it could as a surprise if someone has not been paying close attention to the details of all the announcements.

-louie

I understand all of that.

But what this particular release seems like (remember it only been a two months) is '...let's release an early version, and then right away, stick it to the perpetual users with a big improvement that they can't get'.... That'll teach them.

I could fully accept this 'upgrade' if it came in a normal cycle of change like 4 to 5 or 5 to 6 or 6 to 7.

But this is only 6.1 (historically dot releases are a bug fix). And that is what I have the issue with.

I can understand how it could feel that way, but they'd already pushed the main release waaaaaaay back and this new feature still wasn't finished in time. Rather than making everyone wait another year or two, they released it to subscribers. New features has always been one of the major selling points for the subscription, so it's not like they hid anything.

Ok, panic over. I reluctantly decided to uninstall and reinstall LR6.0, although I always have a fear of the worst happening! Anyway after reinstallation, the Updates facility from within LR worked right away and installed 6.1 without any problems.

I had the same problem, and I didn't dare to reinstall LR, but finally i gave it a try, and voilà it worked like a dream afterwards! Me happy! Great forum :)

Thanks to erudolph, Jim Meyer & lepremier for bringing up this pesky problem. I had this, too. And after 2 unsuccessful tries at Adobe Support, I came across your discussions. Yes, Uninstall and reinstall worked to bring up the LR6.1 update. Adobe hasn't got this ungrading right, yet for all LR6.0 Desktop users. Anyways, I appreciate your help.

The ONLY problem I have with ANYTHING is this and troubleshooting my OS ti thatn extent is both over my head and more time consuming than I can take. Im not upgrading because everything else works fine including my most important RIP so messing with the OS just isn't a realistic option for me

ps- is the suggestion then that LR6 only actually supports mac os 10.10? I don't suppose that is the case but just thought Id better check

this is ROCK AND HARD PLACE issue.. i'm running 10.9.5, and stuck at LR6.1.1, on an IMAC, i have avoided upgrading my mac because of legacy programs which i will probably not be able to use in a new operating system.. i have in hand 10.10.5 that is yosemity i believe... the issue pushing this right now is the pending purchase of a Canon 5D IV, as you can guess the camera profile is not available without CR9. So, i've downloaded the installer for CR9.1 only to find that the CR in LR6.1 doesn't upgrade... long story in know.. so i see creating my own camera profile and add it to my copy of LR or, upgrading the OS to something higher and then upgrade LR to 6.6 can you see anything that may be helpful in making that decision.. or possible something i have overlooked.. please comment.

thanks,, brian

the karma from the group may have solved my dilema.. 10.11 is still being used and by at least on chap running LR 6.9, i guess that the answer is upgrade to OS 10.11, do you see other options?

the karma from the group may have solved my dilema.. 10.11 is still being used and by at least on chap running LR 6.9, i guess that the answer is upgrade to OS 10.11, do you see other options?
Welcome to the forum. I think your legacy apps might by now have updates than overcome any incompatibilities with MacOS. I would upgrade to Mac OS And then LR6.10. If you find there are apps that won't run in MacOS and can't update4d, I would consider either a dual boot into a compatible OS X version or Running the old OS X and apps in a Virtual Machine like VMWare Fusion. You should not let out of date apps hold you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back