• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom 6 (Perpetual) Issues after Install – For OS X Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

clee01l

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
If you are an OS X user and are having issues with the new Perpetual License version of the LR6 app after successfully installing , Please post your issue here and we will attempt to resolve and post a Solution. Before adding your issue to this thread, please review the previous posts (especially any posted Solutions) before adding your item to this thread.

Hi, just found this forum as I'm trying to improve my lightroom skills, anyway I downloaded and installed LR6 upgrade version to my iMac running OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 and so far it seems to be working fine except for the fact that when I try to access the help files all I get is the message "Safari can't find the server" Safari can't find the server "community.stage.corp.adobe.com" Is anybody else having this problem? Thanks .

Dave

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.

Yes, unfortunately that's a bug and is being addressed. In the meantime, you can use this link. Look to the left and you'll see that you can download the Lightroom CC/6 Help PDF.

Having to re-install LR 6 whenever I go out of it

If you are an OS X user and are having issues with the new Perpetual License version of the LR6 app after successfully installing , Please post your issue here and we will attempt to resolve and post a Solution. Before adding your issue to this thread, please review the previous posts (especially any posted Solutions) before adding your item to this thread.

I have an IMac with Yosemite installed. I have had LR 5 on it for the past 18 months and just purchased the standalone LR 6. Whenever I get out of the application, it disappears from my port and I have to re-install every time. I still have LR 5 on it.

drjeffrif Welcome to the forum. I'll follow up later tonight when I have more time. How are you starting Lightroom 6 each time Do you have an icon in the Dock? (is it pointing to the LR6 app?) In the Apps folder, LR6 is installed in a sub folder named "Adobe Lightroom". LR5 is listed as a package named "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.app" . If you open the folder named "Adobe Lightroom, there is a package named Adobe Lightroom.app. This is what you click on to run LR6. How has what I have described differ from how you start LR?

One other thing, Have you updated to LR6.0.1? Go to Lightroom Help and choose the Check for updates sub menu item.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using LR5 for some months now since Apple abandoned Aperture. LR has always run smoothly with absolutely no problems. When LR6 came out I decided to upgrade. LR 6 has proved to be exceptionally unstable and crashes very often. It seems to not like me going to another photo until it has fully loaded including the small spinner at the bottom right. Sometimes it will crash just for the fun of it since I have done absolutely nothing. I have upgraded to LR 6.0.1 but no improvement. I am really losing patience and am seriously thinking of abandoning LR6 and going back to LR5.7 which is at least stable but it makes me angry to have wasted a good chunk of money to buy a useless piece of programming. :mad2:
Contacting and getting any information out of Adobe is nearly impossible, all they seem interested in is selling their Cloud and renting out their program . Has anyone else been having the same problems and if so has anyone found a solution because getting help from Adobe seems pretty much impossible.
I have a 15 inch Macbook Pro mid 2010 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 with 8 go of RAM and a 1.5 To HD and a NVIDA GeoForce GT 330M 256Mo graphics card.

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to the forum.

The first thing I suggest you try is to disable the "Use Graphics Processor" option on the Preferences>Performance tab, see if that improves things.

I had a perpetual license for Lightroom 5. I also had Adobe Creative Cloud, but that was only for Photoshop. I did not download the Lightroom CC upgrade from Creative Cloud.

Today, I did an upgrade ($79) to get Lightroom 6, because I wanted the perpetual license. The download file for Lightroom 6 is Lightroom_6_LS11.dmg, but when I installed it and opened the program it says Lightroom CC. Is this normal? I expected it to say Lightroom 6. I also expected it to write over Lightroom 5, but it is installed as a separate program.

I also called Adobe subsequently and cancelled my Creative Cloud account (because I rarely used Photoshop CC), but that doesn't take effect until May 23.

When I open Lightroom>Help>System Info, it says Lightroom version: CC 2015.0.1. I'm wondering whether I really have Lightroom 6 here.

Hi... I've upgraded from LR 5 to LR 6. LR 6.0 is installed and working. But when I go to Help -> Check for Updates, I'm told that my software is up-to-date even though a 6.01 update is available. Also, when I download the 6.01 updater and try to install, I'm told that "Updates cannot be applied."

I've spoken and chatted with support about this several times and they've had me change the permissions on the /library/applicationsupport/adobe folder and also had me create a new user with admin privileges and try to update from that user. none of their solutions has worked.

there's one other symptom worth mentioning: after starting LR, when i do a quick-slide-show, the background is the default of light gray with the image casting a drop shadow (I prefer a darker gray and no shadow and have changed that in the slideshow module). In order to get my preferred settings, i need to enter the slideshow module each time i start LR - the preference isn't being remembered.

any thoughts much appreciated.

I have a Mac Pro. Safari has alway given me problems. I now use Chrome as my browser. That has helped. Perhaps that is worth a shot. You can always delete if the problem persists. I like their new bookmarks folder.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

The first thing I suggest you try is to disable the "Use Graphics Processor" option on the Preferences>Performance tab, see if that improves things.

I've been having trouble with LR6 in that the target tool is jerky and/or unresponsive. Iv'e posted that eslewhere before I saw this thread but I'll try this suggestion as indeed my graphics processor was enabled

Fingers crossed

Last edited:
LR keeps failing.

When I first upgraded to the new Lightroom, the program would constantly shut down. I then disabled CPU and that solved the problem. I have a mid-2009 Macbook pro,4Ram. My son in law told me to upgrade the RAM to 8. I did that on Friday. Returned to Lightroom and unclicked the CPU option. To date no problem.

When I first upgraded to the new Lightroom, the program would constantly shut down. I then disabled CPU and that solved the problem. I have a mid-2009 Macbook pro,4Ram. My son in law told me to upgrade the RAM to 8. I did that on Friday. Returned to Lightroom and unclicked the CPU option. To date no problem.
Welcome to the forum. I have a late 2012 rMBP with 8GB RAM. ( I think 8GB is a minimum that I would recommend for LR). I found the the GPU performance boost was hurting more than helping LR6, so I have mine disabled still.

Welcome to the forum. I have a late 2012 rMBP with 8GB RAM. ( I think 8GB is a minimum that I would recommend for LR). I found the the GPU performance boost was hurting more than helping LR6, so I have mine disabled still.

I will relook at both options. I will say the upgrade to 8GM of RAM was money well spent.

disabling the GPU definitely helped- still not as smooth as LR5 but much better than was with the GPU enabled

I have exactly the same problem and have given up using LR6 - I've gone back to LR5.7. Like you I'm upset that I spent money on something that does not work. Also every time I quit out of LR6 I have to re-instal - not acceptable.

I have exactly the same problem and have given up using LR6 - I've gone back to LR5.7. Like you I'm upset that I spent money on something that does not work. Also every time I quit out of LR6 I have to re-instal - not acceptable.
Yesterday, Adobe released LR6.1 with some more bug fixes and to address stability issues. Have you tried that? Many people (i'm not one of them) purposely wait until the dot one release before upgrading. Well here it is.

Something to also point out. Most people running OS X 10.10.x are not having the problems that you describe. This suggests strongly that there is something about your OS install that is different from everyone else. Have you tried to figure out what that might be and correct it?

LR6 and my Mac

Yesterday, Adobe released LR6.1 with some more bug fixes and to address stability issues. Have you tried that? Many people (i'm not one of them) purposely wait until the dot one release before upgrading. Well here it is.

Something to also point out. Most people running OS X 10.10.x are not having the problems that you describe. This suggests strongly that there is something about your OS install that is different from everyone else. Have you tried to figure out what that might be and correct it?

Thanks for your response. I'm about to fit a new hard drive to my Mac as my existing one is on the way out. I don't know about the OS install as it was just a "standard" install but the H/D may be the problem. The only question with that is that LR5.7 runs OK on the OS and H/D. We'll see once I've got the new one up and running.

The ONLY problem I have with ANYTHING is this and troubleshooting my OS ti thatn extent is both over my head and more time consuming than I can take. Im not upgrading because everything else works fine including my most important RIP so messing with the OS just isn't a realistic option for me

I read that LR6.1 is available but when, from within LR, I go to Help/Updates it shows that my version 6.0 is up to date......?

I've just been looking through the Adobe forum as well and see that updates are NOT available for the LR6 (Perpetual) version....do I understand this correctly?
Having just written this I've read another forum message which confuses me even more. It relates to a LR6.1 Perpetual update....so is it possible to update to 6.1 or not and if so why is it not possible from within LR...Help/Updates?

Last edited:
Yes, there is an update for the perpetual license version of LR6, to LR 6.1. You can get the download from here.

The reason for the confusion is that the perpetual license version will not receive any new features (such as the DeHaze feature which the LRCC users have received in their 6.1 update), but will still get the update as it contains bug fixes and new camera/lens support. I think that perhaps some users don't quite understand that there is in fact only one actual program that both LRCC and LR6 users receive, but the different licensing methods are used to trigger a different response within the UI. So all users, no matter what license type, will continue to get the updates.....though they may have a different effect, depending on the license type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back