• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom 6 & Lightroom Classic on same Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrophase

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 6.14
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I updated my MacBook to Catalina, not appreciating I would be unable to uninstall Lightroom 6.14 and therefore be unable to install Lightroom Classic. Lightroom 6.14 works perfectly well but does not support the Canon 90D, which is why I want to change to a Lightroom subscription product.

The question is, can I install Lightroom Classic on my MacBook whilst also leaving Lightroom 6.14 installed?

I accept the need for additional, different catalogs but that's not a problem. Also, I'm assuming I will need to duplicate all my raw files so each installation of Lightroom will have its own dedicated library.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can install Classic whilst leaving 6.14 installed (though why would you want to?). No need for additional, different catalogs, and no need to duplicate all your files, Classic will simply upgrade the current 6.14 catalog (creating a new version while retaining the older version), thus all the files and all the work that you have done in 6.14 will be retained in the new Classic catalog.

Thanks. I should have thought it through a bit more before asking.

I won’t want to use LR6 once I have Classic so I won’t need to worry about the old catalog, etc.

The only reason I want (need) to retain LR6 is because it can’t now be uninstalled.

I tried installing Classic a few weeks ago but it wouldn’t complete the installation whilst LR6 was still installed. And I couldn’t uninstall LR6 because it’s a 32bit uninstaller and Catalina is 64.
I wondered if, rather than trying to upgrade, and therefore overwrite, LR6 I could just leave it on the drive and install Classic in addition?

They're separate programs, so Classic should install fine (I've currently got Lightroom 5 and 6 installed as well as Classic). Make sure you download and install the Creative Cloud desktop app first, then use that to install Classic.

If I may piggyback on this thread, I'm having a new computer and will transfer my Lightroom 6 to that computer. I was also thinking of having the paid subscription of Lightroom classic installed. After downloading that, can I work than in the new Lightroom with my catalog from Lightroom 6?
Thanks,
Bert

Absolutely. When you first open your catalogue with Lightroom Classic, Lightroom will create a copy that is compatible with the current release and use that copy. The old LR 6 catalogue will still exist in its unmodified form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back