• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom 6 as well as Lightroom Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wollemi

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
Two questions.
Does Lightroom Classic replace the existing Lightroom 6 installation?

Can you keep your current copy of Lightroom 6 for all your existing work and get Lightroom Classic for new work?

No, it sits alongside it.

When you install Classic, it makes a copy of your Catalogue and updates it to the new format - so you have both. You could then create a new empty Catalogue to run under Classic, and of course switch between the old and new under Classic

For interest, why would you want to still have Lightroom 6 around?

Dave

I 'm still not sure about wanting to go to a subscription service, and I have health issues that mean I might not be around as long as I would like.
I want to keep a copy of Lightroom 6 which will allow me or anyone else to access all the edited photos in RAW format that I have created in eight years of using lightroom without having to maintain a subscription.
I understand that if i use Lightroom Classic then those photos will not be accessible other than in a unedited form without a subscription, unless of course I export them.

I understand that if i use Lightroom Classic then those photos will not be accessible other than in a unedited form without a subscription, unless of course I export them.

Not correct. If your subscription lapses you can still access them in edited form, export, etc., but cannot do further edits.

Ferguson got in just as I was typing! Additionally, the Quick Edit in Library will still work, and you can of course still print them.

Thank you for those replies; I clearly had misunderstood about what I would be able to access if the subscription lapsed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back