• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom 6 appears to be looking at incorrect drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericsensorman

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi
I hope someone can help me. Lightroom does not appear to be able to see my files on my F drive (external) but thinks they are on a G drive which does not exist. I see the question marks next to my folders but can't get lightroom to see that they are actually on the F drive. Any ideas?? Thanks.

Attachments

• LR Capture.JPG
    LR Capture.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 94
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like Windows has reassigned a new letter to your external drive. You need to reassign the letter that LR believes is assigned to that drive. With LR closed and the external drive attached, right click on the Windows icon in the menu and select Disk Management. A window will appear that shows you all of the drives on your computer or hooked up to your computer. The external drive is probably showing as G: . In the graphic representation of the drive below, right click on it and select Change Drive Letter and Paths. Select F for that drive is it is not already assigned to something else. If it is, you will need to address that first to free up F:. Windows will give you a warning notice before changing the letter from G: to F: . That is okay. Confirm and the drive will now show with the letter F: after a refresh of the graphic. Close up the window and try LR. YOu should be good to go. If you have problems or questions, post back to this thread.

Good luck,

--Ken

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like Windows has reassigned a new letter to your external drive. You need to reassign the letter that LR believes is assigned to that drive. With LR closed and the external drive attached, right click on the Windows icon in the menu and select Disk Management. A window will appear that shows you all of the drives on your computer or hooked up to your computer. The external drive is probably showing as G: . In the graphic representation of the drive below, right click on it and select Change Drive Letter and Paths. Select F for that drive is it is not already assigned to something else. If it is, you will need to address that first to free up F:. Windows will give you a warning notice before changing the letter from G: to F: . That is okay. Confirm and the drive will now show with the letter F: after a refresh of the graphic. Close up the window and try LR. YOu should be good to go. If you have problems or questions, post back to this thread.

Good luck,

--Ken
Hi Ken,
My external drive was actually showing correctly as F. So I went into LR and saw that the folder tree was showing now in the F drive but that the structure wasn't correct. I performed a "find folder" on the highest level correct folder which worked and then used "rename" to give the top level parent folder the correct name which sorted out the problem. So I'm sorted now - many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back