• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom 6 Access denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

saileralan

Lightroom Version Number
LR 6
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
So I am really in a very hopeless state and desperate for any possible help.

I have been trying set set-up a separate computer to run my copy of Lightroom 6. I want to freeze this computer so that I do not have to update to the 64 bit OS that will destroy LR6.

The problem is that the STUPID Adobe "spy" that looks for alternate copies does not want to recognize that I only have one other copy. I am allowed two copies but it tells me that I have more. I looked on my Active Sessions and it says that I have two copies, the one on my main computer and the one I am trying to activate.

My frustration with this issue is at 11. I have bought a new computer, monitor, hard disks to the tune of about 1000$ and it is starting to look like I have crapped out.

Any help very welcome. I have been fighting this problem for a month now and it looks like it might just end in complete failure.

Sorry to hear you are having problems. Have you removed access to both machines and then tried to grant access, starting first with your machine you just purchased?

Also, you do know that eventually when your OS is no longer supported that you will either have a security risk if you keep using it, or you will need to update to a newer version? So, you can put this issue off for some time, but when the time does come, know that it may not come with a lot of warning for the migration.

--Ken

Ken,

Thanks for the reply.

I have not deactivated both copies for the simple reason that given the circumstances I fear that Adobe will refuse to activate anything. Right now I have one copy. If things go wrong I will have none.

Yes I am aware of the OS problem. The whole idea was to make the new computer a time capsule. Never connect to the internet so no security issues. Never update the OS. Just a crystalized time capsule, insulated from the modern world, running High Sierra until the heat death of the universe.

As a side not, the cloud subscription model fails for me completely. I edit maybe 10 pictures a month. Paying a dollar or two every time for the privalige of using Adobes subscription model is infuriating.

Ken,

Thanks for the reply.

I have not deactivated both copies for the simple reason that given the circumstances I fear that Adobe will refuse to activate anything. Right now I have one copy. If things go wrong I will have none.

Yes I am aware of the OS problem. The whole idea was to make the new computer a time capsule. Never connect to the internet so no security issues. Never update the OS. Just a crystalized time capsule, insulated from the modern world, running High Sierra until the heat death of the universe.

As a side not, the cloud subscription model fails for me completely. I edit maybe 10 pictures a month. Paying a dollar or two every time for the privalige of using Adobes subscription model is infuriating.
If you really want "time capsule", you will need to consider LR5.x rather than 6.x. In 6.x, Adobe designed the program to "phone home" for license validation like in Creative Cloud versions. I understand that you are a limited user, but if it helps sweeten the deal, Adobe throws in a lot of other things for the basic Photography plan like Portfolio and PhotoShop. And I cannot imagine Adobe would not authorize your license as you have a valid serial number. It may take a chat with them to get this straightened out if you cannot get it resolved.

--Ken

Ken,

Thanks for the information. I was not aware that LR5 didn't have the spy feature. I will have to consider that avenue. I'd worry about moving backward and loosing catalog entries made since the LR 6 move.

I am actually chagrined to say that I did try getting in touch with Adobe. Research that I did on these forums led me to believe that Adobe no longer supported LR 6. This was wrong. Someone did help me (although mysteriously said that they would make an exception on my case. Exception to what?).
They reset something and I am now able to use LR 6.

Thanks for the help. I was really in despair and it helped that someone wanted to help.

Wish me luck on the time capsule. I intend to disable all my WiFi (to eliminate those annoying OS update warnings).

Cheers.

Ken,

Thanks for the information. I was not aware that LR5 didn't have the spy feature. I will have to consider that avenue. I'd worry about moving backward and loosing catalog entries made since the LR 6 move.

I am actually chagrined to say that I did try getting in touch with Adobe. Research that I did on these forums led me to believe that Adobe no longer supported LR 6. This was wrong. Someone did help me (although mysteriously said that they would make an exception on my case. Exception to what?).
They reset something and I am now able to use LR 6.

Thanks for the help. I was really in despair and it helped that someone wanted to help.

Wish me luck on the time capsule. I intend to disable all my WiFi (to eliminate those annoying OS update warnings).

Cheers.
I am glad that contacting Adobe worked out for you. Again, your time capsule will need to be brought on line every so often so Adobe can validate your LR6 license. If not, the program will not operate as the license cannot be verified.

--Ken

Ken,

Interesting. Do you have any idea what the time constant is?

This makes the backward transition to LR 5 sound more important. I'll do some research but one question :are the catalogs backwards compatible?

Thanks again for all the help. You will never know how desperate I was. Just the thought of trying to sell a thousand dollars of computer stuff at a loss was making me very unhappy.

Cheers.

Ken,

This makes the backward transition to LR 5 sound more important. I'll do some research but one question :are the catalogs backwards compatible?

Thanks again for all the help. You will never know how desperate I was. Just the thought of trying to sell a thousand dollars of computer stuff at a loss was making me very unhappy.

Cheers.
There have been discussions about 30 days for monthly subscriptions on CC and 90 days for annual subscriptions, but I am not certain about LR6. There were threads on this a number of years ago, and here is a link to one of them that might help: Upgrading to LR6 and using it offline . @Jim Wilde was on that thread, so I am mentioning him to see if he might have any more input. Thanks in advance Jim!

And I am not aware of any means to make catalogs backward compatible.

Sorry,

--Ken

Ken,

Cheers.

No Lightroom Catalogs are not backward compatible. If you have a recent LR5 catalog, you an open it with LR5 but you will have to import again everything that you have added since that LR5 was the current catalog.

I can think of no scenario that is cheaper than simply buying an Adobe subscription at $120USD/year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There have been discussions about 30 days for monthly subscriptions on CC and 90 days for annual subscriptions, but I am not certain about LR6. There were threads on this a number of years ago, and here is a link to one of them that might help: Upgrading to LR6 and using it offline . @Jim Wilde was on that thread, so I am mentioning him to see if he might have any more input. Thanks in advance Jim!

And I am not aware of any means to make catalogs backward compatible.

Sorry,

--Ken
To be honest, Ken....my memory not being what it was, I'm not sure that the perpetual license version needed to "phone home" once it has been authenticated. Yes, it needs to be online to do that, but I can't see why it would be necessary to continue to communicate....or maybe it may communicate because it's basically the same code as the subscription version (CC2015.xx) which of course does need to continue to check that the subscription is still current. However, with the perpetual license version it may be an ignorable thing if the system remains offline. Sorry, can't be more definite than that.

To be honest, Ken....my memory not being what it was, I'm not sure that the perpetual license version needed to "phone home" once it has been authenticated. Yes, it needs to be online to do that, but I can't see why it would be necessary to continue to communicate....or maybe it may communicate because it's basically the same code as the subscription version (CC2015.xx) which of course does need to continue to check that the subscription is still current. However, with the perpetual license version it may be an ignorable thing if the system remains offline. Sorry, can't be more definite than that.
Thanks for joining the conversation, Jim. I am guessing that the OP may have to just move forward and see what happens. I suspect there are other threads that discussed this, but it will not change the situation, so moving forward with the knowledge that there may be a time when LR needs to phone home is better than not knowing and not being able to plan for it if it does happen.

--Ken

Frankly, if this is your situation, why not use different (non-Adobe) software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back