• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom 6.14 shuts down (caused by Creative Cloud Desktop??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

larsolof.nilsson

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
LR 6.14
Operating System
  1. Other (please note in thread)
I was tagging images in LR 6.14 on an old iMac 27" (mid 2010) with El Capitan (10.11.6), when the program suddenly shut down. Every time I try to open it, it immediately shuts down again, sometimes showing the start image for a few seconds, often closing without even showing the start image. I noticed that I have Creative Cloud Desktop, but I don't think I need that app (I don't remember ever having it on my computer before). When I click on the CC symbol, a window opens and I am told that Lightroom Classic is not compatible. "You must upgrade your system to install Lightroom Classic. Please check the following: -Please update your operating system to macOS (version 10.14 or later)". A link to system requirements for LR Classic tells me that I need a GPU with Metal support. It seems that only iMacs from 2012 support Metal.

I have tried to remove CC Desktop from my computer, but I get the message that it is not possible, since there are programs that use it. Can somebody please save me from this Catch-22 situation?

I must add that I have ordered a new iMac 24" for delivery in November. I will then subscribe to LR and PS. I have backed up all my digital images from 2002 onwards and I have backed up lrcat and lrdata. However, I would like to be able to start LR on my old computer to see if the tags I had added when LR shut down are still accessible.

There should be a Creative Cloud folder in your applications folder. In it is an Uninstall app. This would allow you to uninstall the Creative Cloud Application Manager.

However, this is soon not going to be your biggest issue.
The new 24" M1 Mac won't run LR 6.14, It won't even install it, since the new MacOS versions do not run the installer which is a 32bit app. LR6.14 is compiled for the Intel chips not the M1 chip. If you want to continue running Lightroom you will need to scribe to one of the plans and these will require the Creative Cloud Application Manager app.

Thanks for your answer, Cletus. As I wrote, I tried to uninstall CC Desktop, but I got the answer that it is not possible to uninstall it, since there are programs using it.

I also wrote that I am going to subscribe to LR Classic and Photoshop (=Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan) when I get my new iMac. So that's not my problem.

As I wrote, I'd like to access my old Lightroom to see if the keywords I had entered before the program shut down (a couple of hours' work) are still there.
I am still hoping someone can help me. Is CC Desktop causing LR to shut down? How could I uninstall CC Desktop?

Thanks for your answer, Cletus. As I wrote, I tried to uninstall CC Desktop, but I got the answer that it is not possible to uninstall it, since there are programs using it.

How could I uninstall CC Desktop?

Did you use the uninstall app that I recommended?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I tried to uninstall, I got a message that I had installed Adobe apps the require the Creative Cloud app. The Solution to this would be to ope the Creative Cloud app to the app manager page that lists all of your installed Adobe apps and uninstall these from the App manager before trying to uninstall the app manager.

The list of Creative Cloud apps does not include LR 6.14 but version 10.2 (which I don't have). Curiouser and curiouser....

10.2 is Lightroom Classic subscription. If you don’t have a subscription you may need to uninstall that from the CC app manager before uninstalling the App manager.

If you do have a subscription and LrC v10.2 then you need the Creative Cloud App manager. And we need to look at other reasons that the v6.14 catalog won’t open.

I thought I had made myself clear, but let me try again:
I don't have a Lightroom subscription. I have LR 6.14. The program shuts down when I try to open it.
I'd like to be able to open my present (old) LR on my present (old) computer for the reason mentioned in my first post above.
I will have an Adobe Photography plan (i.e., subscription to LR and PS) once I have got my new iMac 24".

I don't have a Lightroom subscription. I have LR 6.14. The program shuts down when I try to open it.
I'd like to be able to open my present (old) LR on my present (old) computer for the reason mentioned in my first post above.
I will have an Adobe Photography plan (i.e., subscription to LR and PS) once I have got my new iMac 24".

… The list of Creative Cloud apps does not include LR 6.14 but version 10.2 (which I don't have). Curiouser and curiouser....

The CC App Manager thinks you have v 10.2 installed. You probably installed that app as a trial. Without uninstalling it completely through the CC App Manager, the App Manager still thinks parts of it are there and probably running as some background task. Uninstall it as I suggested and then you should be able to uninstall the CC App Manager.

I do NOT have LR 10.2 on my computer. I have never even tried to install it, since my old computer doesn't meet the requirements. Consequently, I cannot uninstall LR 10.2. Creative Cloud Desktop lists a lot of programs that I don't have (including LR Classic 10.2) and says "Not Compatible". It does not list LR 6.14, which I have on my computer, and which I have worked with for years until it suddenly stopped.

Skärmavbild 2021-10-12 kl. 10.30.22.png

I did quit and I tried to uninstall. I get the message that I cannot uninstall Creative Cloud, since I still have programs that require the app. I'd very much like to know why LR stopped working and cannot be opened.

I'd very much like to know why LR stopped working and cannot be opened.
Let's ignore the issues with Adobe Creative Cloud Application Manager for a moment and address your real problem. "LR6.14 crashes". Do you get any warning or error messages the. you try to open LR6.14? In the folder containing your master catalog file, is there a sentinel file with the same name as your catalog and having a ".lock" extension? Can you find and rename the Lightroom Preferences file to force Lightroom to create a new preferences file? In the absence of any error or warning messages, the presence of the ".lock" file indicates that Lightroom v6.14 did not exit properly. Forcing Lightroom to create a new Preference file does wonders to resolve weird Lightroom issues.
If none of these recommendations, resolve your v6.14 issue, then I'd recommend reinstalling Lightroom 6.14 to make sure that none of the app file components are missing or damaged.

If your computer doesn't meet the requirements, then why did you install Adobe Creative Cloud Application Manager? There is an app installed and running on your computer that makes the Adobe Creative Cloud Application Manager think one of its managed apps is running (or a piece of it.)
  1. Reboot your computer. (I assume that you have done this regularly in trying to resolve this issue.)
  2. Without starting Lightroom 6, there should be no other Adobe processes running unless it is Adobe Creative Cloud Application Manager itself.
  3. Open the Activity Monitor application (located in the utilities folder).
  4. Sort the list of running processes by Process Name.
  5. Take a screen shot of the running processes that begin with "Adobe..."
This list will give us a list of Adobe processes. At least one of these will be the blocking agent that is preventing Adobe Creative Cloud Application Manager from uninstalling

There is a file named Lightroom Catalog.lrcat.lock in my Images/Lightroom folder. It is 55 byte and was created 17 June. However, LR stopped working in late September. Strangely enough, just now for a minute or so another .lock file appeared, created 17 June and changed 3 October. It quickly disappeared.

Would it help if I deleted the .lock file?

Since I cannot start Lightroom, I cannot find the Preferences file.

I have never installed the Adobe Creative Cloud Application Manager.

Could it be AdobeCRDaemon that causes the problem?

Skärmavbild 2021-10-12 kl. 17.40.38.png

There is a file named Lightroom Catalog.lrcat.lock in my Images/Lightroom folder. It is 55 byte and was created 17 June. However, LR stopped working in late September. Strangely enough, just now for a minute or so another .lock file appeared, created 17 June and changed 3 October. It quickly disappeared.

Would it help if I deleted the .lock file?
. The “.lock” file is created every time you open a Catalog file (“.lrcat”) The presence of this lock file prevents any other instance of Lightroom from opening the same catalog file. If you are not running any version of Lightroom curry=ently, you ca safely delete any “.lock” files that you find.
Since I cannot start Lightroom, I cannot find the Preferences file.
The preference file is the com.adobe.Lightroom.plist file, located in the [username]/Library/Preferences folder.
I have never installed the Adobe Creative Cloud Application Manager.
It does not install without help. Who do you think installed it?
Could it be AdobeCRDaemon that causes the problem?

View attachment 17241
It could be any number of Adobe processes that are running. As a Last resort we will Force quit these processes.

Let’s go back to the first step (deleting the “.lock” files)
If that does not work, then we will remove the existing preferences file from the process.
If that does not get you into Lr 6.14, come back here for additional help.

Thank you, Cletus!

Deleting the .lock file didn't help. I renamed the .plist file and rebooted. It took a few attempts (and I had to force quit), but finally Lightroom opened! Will there be a new plist file or shall I rename it back to its original name? If so, what do you think will happen?

As for CC Application Manager, could it have been installed through an automatic update? I noticed the CC symbol is present in the start image of LR. I'm not sure it was there when I started using LR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back