Status
Not open for further replies.

m.holmes

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 6.14 (windows)
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
Hi everyone,

I'm an old-timer still using Lightroom 6.14 but I recently moved my catalog from a Mac to a Windows 7 PC.

I frequently see a strange behaviour of my mouse in LR, it's generally sluggish and unresponsive, especially in the Book module.
Basically, it's like mouse clicks are executed with some delay, and potentially when the mouse pointer is somewhere else. More precisely, it's not mouse clicks, but the mouse button release which is delayed.

The easiest way to reproduce is this simple procedure: go to book module, look at two pages, select a page, activate the background color picker. If I click and quickly move the mouse somewhere over the color palette pop-up, it automatically picks the color and closes the popup. Not sure if this is the explanation, but it's like instead of the sequence [click, release, move], LR executes [click, move, release].
But there are other and more annoying symptoms: sometimes a click to activate a cell actually drags the image; sometimes instead, operations are undone.
Example: click on a photo in a cell in the book module, click, keep pressed, drag the photo to move it inside the cell, release the button, move the pointer away and at that time, the photo snaps back to its original position. This would be explained as before: LR sees the button release after the pointer has been moved away from the cell, so it undoes the panning.

Here are some facts/observations in random order:
  • I already tried all the basic and not-so-basic stuff, including exporting a small catalog, resetting all LR settings (deleting the Roaming folder), replacing the mouse (which is a wired mouse), trying different USB ports, disabling GPU acceleration and updating the graphics driver. No luck.
  • The PC is quite powerful: huge SSDs, lots of RAM, etc. and it has no antivirus. The GPU is a small Quadro card, not a monster, but decently reliable.
  • Everything was installed from scratch. There's basically nothing except LR (with no plugins), Photoshop, Chrome, the mouse driver suite, and a couple of tools. Anyway, this seems to happen only in LR (for example, Photoshop seems ok).
  • LR feels generally slower than on my Mac, so it's not super-responsive , but I'm convinced this is a software bug. The issue is very pronounced in the book module, especially on pages with tons of pictures, but it's not CPU-related (the CPU is not busy). I initially blamed GPU acceleration, I also tried disabling it, but it didn't solve.
  • Not sure if this is relevant, but I installed Lightroom 6.0 and upgraded straight to 6.14 (according to Adobe, this should work)
As I'm running out of ideas, if anyone has some experience to share, I'd be grateful
MH

(p.s. sorry for the cross posting, but I'm going to ask the same question in different forums).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back