• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The May 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. There's a brand new slider called Texture, available across the whole family of apps. Lightroom Classic includes a new tool called Flat Field Correction. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has lots of big improvements including cloud trash, invitation-only web galleries, improved chromatic aberration removal and more. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes. You'll also notice the CC's have disappeared off the end of the names, so we've updated the forum names to match.

Lightroom 6.0 on Ubuntu via Playonlinux

Carbur

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Hello,

I just built my computer and choosed Ubuntu as my OS, and have been willing to install Lightroom on it. Following an advice found on another forum, I tried to do it through Playonlinux but when the installation is over, I get a message saying : "The installation failed. This product can be installed on a 64 bits system only". However, it's the 64 bits version of Ubuntu that I use.

Do you have any idea on how to fix this ? Do any of you have been successfully using Lightroom on Ubuntu ?

Thanks in advance.

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi Carbur, Lightroom is only supported on Windows and Mac, although I've seen a few reports of people running it in virtual machines successfully.

Roelof Moorlag

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Playonlinux appears to be a graphical interface for Wine but there is not a lot of Linux Knowledge on this forum i think.
Maybe there can be found better support at winehq.org ?

clee01l

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
I think there are too many virtualization issues to get LR to run with a WINE variant You are going to need to own a Windows license and virtual machine software like VMWare Fusion (which AFAIK only runs on a Mac). Once you set up the Virtual machine, you can install Windows there and run any Windows app including LR.

Denis Pagé

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Welcome to the forum Carbur. A link to Darktable may be useful... That is what I recommend to my friends on Linux and not only the Ubuntu flavor by the way. Simpler like that.

PhilBurton

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Hello,

I just built my computer and choosed Ubuntu as my OS, and have been willing to install Lightroom on it. Following an advice found on another forum, I tried to do it through Playonlinux but when the installation is over, I get a message saying : "The installation failed. This product can be installed on a 64 bits system only". However, it's the 64 bits version of Ubuntu that I use.

Do you have any idea on how to fix this ? Do any of you have been successfully using Lightroom on Ubuntu ?

Thanks in advance.
Carbur,

Cross-OS tools generally have many limitations. I just looked at the PlayOnLinux website and it is silent about being a 64 bit application itself. 64 bit Windows and I'm sure Linux support 32-bit applications. I also visited the Wine website, but I couldn't get a confirmation that Wine itself is a native 64-bit application.

Would you consider a dual-boot system? If so, check out www.tenforums.com. They have lots of discussions about dual-boot and also about VMs. Their tutorials are comprehensive and first-rate.

Phil

tspear

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Phil, Carbur,

Wine has had 64bit support for years. I stopped using Linux as a desktop a few years ago. So I am no longer current, but any application which was media intensive required extensive work with the WineHQ team to get it to work. PlayOnLinux was one example which brought together a group to focus on such efforts for specific games.

Personally, chasing such stuff I no longer think it is worth the effort. I would either run Windows on the HW or in a VM to use Lr; or I would switch software to darktable or some other solution.

Good luck,

Tim

Carbur

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. The dual-boot solution seems indeed to be the most efficient. I've heard about Darktable and tried it, but I spent to many hours trying to get around Lightroom in the past few months to be willing to switch now... so dual-boot it will be. Too bad Adobe won't develop a Linux-compatible version, as I read on one of their forums.