Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi Victoria and all,

I'm using Lightroom 5 to process my photos. I'm a novice/slightly experienced user. I've read Tony Northrup's book and watched his videos. I'm finding though that when it comes to the develop module, I seem to be getting slower and slower trying to make sure I've covered things off and going back with each photo. To speed things up, I'm now doing my processing pretty much in the develop module than the few clicks saved in the Library module. I'm hopeful that this is just a learning curve and that I'll get faster as my experience and skill increases. I know each photo can be a mixed bag of what needs to be done. I've purchased the book below (due late Dec/early Jan from Amazon) in the hope that it will give me some tips. Is there anything else anyone can suggest or recommend?

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ: Real Answers to Real Questions Asked by Lightroom Users

1. Like many complex systems you get faster with use. It helps if you sit down with a few images and go through all the controls practising with each.
2. Better photography makes for faster processing. When I started out I spent most of my time trying to salvage bad photos. As I got better at taking photos I spent my time enhancing the good ones, which needed less post work.
3. Find your style. When I started out I shot anything and everything and for each image I had to think about/try different styles of processing. Over time I focused in on a preferred style of processing. I no longer need to think about style/experiment and in some cases I no longer take a photo because I know it won't suit my style. I now have a preset that I created. All I need to do is apply it as a base and then make a few more minor tweaks to get the final result

Hi Ned, welcome to the forum!

I'd also suggest a two-pass editing process. Do a fast edit through lots, and then leave a little time before you come back to them for a second pass. That'll make it easier to identify what more extensive work needs doing.

1. Like many complex systems you get faster with use. It helps if you sit down with a few images and go through all the controls practising with each.
2. Better photography makes for faster processing. When I started out I spent most of my time trying to salvage bad photos. As I got better at taking photos I spent my time enhancing the good ones, which needed less post work.
3. Find your style. When I started out I shot anything and everything and for each image I had to think about/try different styles of processing. Over time I focused in on a preferred style of processing. I no longer need to think about style/experiment and in some cases I no longer take a photo because I know it won't suit my style. I now have a preset that I created. All I need to do is apply it as a base and then make a few more minor tweaks to get the final result

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your message.

I appreciate your confirmation that my processing will increase the more I use Light Room and testing out the various tools it has to offer for processing. I finding that there are certain tools I use all the time and some not as much. (my style emerging perhaps) I guess its a case of identifying situations that will involve other tools, but all in good time I guess.

When I read your second paragraph, I immediately realized that this was what I'm currently doing :) Being very linear in trying to make all my images good and bad into portfolio type photos, when its not necessary. Only the best ones will do :)

Thank you for your tip that taking better photos will in turn result in less photos to process more thoroughly. I guess the reverse is true in that Light Room processing work will also help me take better photos too.

I quite agree, that finding my own sense of style is very important for my processing work, much like taking photos, but I guess that will come in time. Having a pre-set applied to photos that you take, sounds like an excellent idea too

Thanks again for your help, and if there is anything else you would like to pass along, I'd appreciate it.
Ned.

Hi Victoria,

Thank you for your message.

I appreciate your suggestion about doing a fast edit two pass process through all my photos and then dive deeper on the second pass. This should eliminate more photos to work on so that only the best ones should remain for more work.

Thanks again for your help, and if there is anything else you would like to pass along, I'd appreciate it.
Ned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back