Lightroom 5 won’t open

Status
Not open for further replies.

enquiries_2

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Please help lightroom 5 on my Mac it crashed and now I can’t get it to open at all and all
My work
Is on it ?? Help

Lightroom 5 isn’t supported on Catalina, it’s way too old. Did you update your operating system recently? Or what’s changed?

The good news is that current Lightroom Classic versions will have no trouble running on Catalina and opening your catalog. The downside is the current versions are a paid subscription, not free. So let’s see if we can get to the bottom of what’s up first.

But it has been working fine for months on Catalina I have not updated my operating system and I need to get ito my work asap - i hop eit is all still there?

If you mean Adobe, they haven't supported Lr5 for 6 years, so that's unlikely to help. And as Victoria mentioned, such old versions of Lightroom (Lr6 the same) simply aren't designed to work on the later OS from Apple (Catalina on support 64-bit only Apps).

Telling us what actually happened / happens when you try and launch might mean we can give some suggestions.

ive been told that lightroom 5 wont work with catalania on a mac and that it will eentually not open dn that is what has happened - i need to unistall lightroom 5 adn re istll new one - people on phone are useless

If you mean Adobe, they haven't supported Lr5 for 6 years, so that's unlikely to help. And as Victoria mentioned, such old versions of Lightroom (Lr6 the same) simply aren't designed to work on the later OS from Apple (Catalina on support 64-bit only Apps).

Telling us what actually happened / happens when you try and launch might mean we can give some suggestions.
ive been told that lightroom 5 wont work with catalania on a mac and that it will eentually not open dn that is what has happened - i need to unistall lightroom 5 adn re istll new one - people on phone are useless

i need to talk to somone as worried about loosing all my work - excuse typos as i am getting v stressed

It's what Victoria said in her reply to you. As mentioned, Adobe simply haven't supported Lr5 for 6 years - that's not the fault of their people on the phone.

Lightroom Classic will take older catalogs (assuming they are working) and convert them to the latest version (which is fully compatible with Catalina and Big Sur). The Plan I suggest is the Photography Plan (20GB), it includes Photoshop too. You can get them on a 7-day trial to check you're happy with them.

Rather than panicking, could you tell us exactly what happens when you try to open Lightroom? Does it give you an error message?

f(If it's telling you that another process has your catalogue open, you need to go to the folder that holds your catalogue and delete the file that has a ".lock" extension and then open Lightroom. )

I agree with Hal. Because you have an obsolete unsupported app on an older operating system, you need to tell us in some detail exactly what happened when the computer crashed and what happens when you try to open you Lightroom catalog. Also, it would be helpful to tell us about what backup procedures you use to protect your catalog file and image files.

Since Adobe no longer provides support for your obsolete version, the only help that you will get is through the user led support forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back