• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom 5 view squashed in Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel M

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Greetings.
I used Lightroom 5 beta in Vista, no problem but when it was released Vista was not supported. I therefore changed the OS on my laptop to Windows 8 and installed LR4 & 5. Everything transferred OK but the on screen appearance of the files is stretched horizontally. E.g. a portrait face appears too round, and when rotated 90 degrees, long and thin (and horizontal).

Further, the menu areas will only drag to widen and are taking up too much screen space (25% per side approx). I guess the problem is the OS as I downloaded circles and wheels from the web which appear flattened vertically. I can live with distortion of text but not in my photo editing. I have searched for means of altering my display in vain and wonder if others are experiencing this problem in the move to LR5. Please advise. Many thanks Nigel M

Sounds like windows not using native resolution on monitor

Right click on desktop and screen resolution

That assessment seems pretty on the money to me.

Tony Jay

Thanks. I had tried that and found it's a 'Generic Non PnP monitor 1024 x 768 landscape'. The digits are greyed out and no other options are offered. Its an old laptop, could the want of other options be due to the graphics card? I don't know what it is but it was for a Vista OS. I know screen formats have changed about three times since I bought this laptop but I'd have thought this would result in a letterbox format, rather than stretching the displayed images horizontally.

I am going to run the Windows 8 compatibility check again and check if there are contra indications relating to the graphics card.

Thanks again, Nigel

Still don't know why screen squashed

It seems I have the minimum resolution necessary to access the Windows store and download apps (1024x768), but not the resolution needed to snap apps. The compatibility checker said my NVIDIA n Force networking controller is compatible (that is a graphics card isn't it, computers not my forte). Yet still the whole LR5 Window and all it's content is stretched horizontally.

There is a Windows task bar top and bottom of screen, and i have not yet discovered how to run it fill screen, surely that's not it?

Any further suggestions please? Looking at all those flatend images is demoralising. Thanks, Nigel

...it's a 'Generic Non PnP monitor 1024 x 768 landscape'....
I think the problem is that your screen resolution is not 1024X768. Do you know what your actual screen resolution is?

Right click anywhere on your desktop background to open "Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution" applet
In the dropDownListBox labeled "Resolution", find the resolution that corresponds to your actual screen resolution and move the slider to the left of the list to the corresponding resolution.

Nigel,

Under your laptop you may find the model number. See on the internet if you can find the fanufacturer' site and search for you model then its specs. Screen resolution of your model should show somewhere. This is the one you will want to set as explained by Cletus.

The screen has a resolution of 1440x900, laptop is an HP dv9500. HP do not produce software or driver downloads for Windows 8, for this machine (only Vista, XP & 7;, although the Windows 8 compatibility checker was silent on this point. I guess that is why the screen resolution field is greyed out. I don't know if a custom installation would help but without software support from the manufacturer for the operating system I am thinking I should restore back to Vista and LR4 until I can raise the cash for a new PC. Unless someone out there knows better?

Big thanks to everyone who has tried to assist me, I have learned from your contributions. Nigel M.

The screen has a resolution of 1440x900, laptop is an HP dv9500. HP do not produce software or driver downloads ...
This is why I am no longer an HP customer. If HP is going to force me to upgrade their hardware every 3 or so years, I can choose to upgrade to some other vendors product.

Just looked on the HOP site and it looks like the graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 8400M , if it is an nvidia try their site for the correct driver, you don't need a HP driver at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back