• Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • You may have noticed this website was offline on Saturday 22nd September. Our web host suffered what is known as "a perfect storm". Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. As a result of restoring backups, we appear to have lost about 18 hours of posts, but hopefully nothing more. If your post seems to have been affected, please do repost, and we look forward to helping. If you have any questions, you're welcome to use the Contact Webmaster link on the page footer.
  • Lightroom Classic 7.5 and Lightroom CC 1.5 have just gone live, and there's some exciting mobile updates to follow. And the big news... my Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro book has just been released too!

Develop module Lightroom 5 shuts down- Mac Os High Sierra

Cuik

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic version: 5.6.
Operating System
macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hello everybody!
i'm new here. my problem is that whenever i try to use the color palette n the Develop module my Lightroom 5 shuts down. I have a MacBook Pro, with the operative system : Mac Os Sierra High. I tried for days to resolve this problem by creating a new catalogue, changing the users permissions, etc. but nothing changes. I read somewhere that exists another option that is to uncheck the use GPU box by going to ''Lightroom-Preferences- performance'' but there's no way to find the ''performance'' box. i don't know what to do. i feel so desperate abut this specially that i have to do a reportage n the birthday of my nephew... please help me. Thanks a lot

JohanElzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Lightroom 5 does not have the Performance tab in the preferences. It does not use the GPU for anything. That functionality was added in later versions. Your biggest problem might be that Lightroom 5 is not compatible with MacOS X High Sierra. It may work, and then again it may not.

clee01l

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Lightroom 5 is no longer supported with updates from Adobe. This means that modern operating systems like High Sierra may not be compatible with the version of Lightroom as old is yours. Your option really should be to upgrade to at least Lightroom 6.14 if you want to standalone version Or move on over to the subscription version, Lightroom Classic.

Cuik

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom 5 is no longer supported with updates from Adobe. This means that modern operating systems like High Sierra may not be compatible with the version of Lightroom as old is yours. Your option really should be to upgrade to at least Lightroom 6.14 if you want to standalone version Or move on over to the subscription version, Lightroom Classic.
Thank you for the reply.
But when I open lightroom i see a message saying that new software for lightroom is available 5.7.
Another thing, I don't understand what you mean by the options that I can get as an alternative.

Enviado desde mi WAS-LX1A mediante Tapatalk

clee01l

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
new software for lightroom is available 5.7.
The last (free) update to the Lightroom 5.X version is LR5.7. For a version that will run on High Sierra you will need to purchase the upgrade to LR6.x and install LR6.14. LR6.14 is the last upgrade to the LR6.x product and the last standalone product that you can purchase. To get a current version of LR you need to purchase a subscription which will keep you current with LR7.x (Lightroom Classic) and also the cloud based version LRCC1.x and PhotoshopCC. At USD $10/month for these three products (and more) the subscription is a bargain.

Cuik

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
The last (free) update to the Lightroom 5.X version is LR5.7. For a version that will run on High Sierra you will need to purchase the upgrade to LR6.x and install LR6.14. LR6.14 is the last upgrade to the LR6.x product and the last standalone product that you can purchase. To get a current version of LR you need to purchase a subscription which will keep you current with LR7.x (Lightroom Classic) and also the cloud based version LRCC1.x and PhotoshopCC. At USD $10/month for these three products (and more) the subscription is a bargain.
Alright, now I understand. Thank you very much for your reply.

rockmen66

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
I had the same problem with 5.7 on High Sierra. Certain things would work and then when you clicked on other things it would crash. I upgraded to 6.14 and all looks good.

Cuik

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
I had the same problem with 5.7 on High Sierra. Certain things would work and then when you clicked on other things it would crash. I upgraded to 6.14 and all looks good.
I think I will do the same. Thank you for your reply