Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 5.7
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
A disaster! Normally, the imported images go into a Temporary folder. Today I thought that folder in the left column was in the wrong place. I tried to move it and it somewhat became a subfolder in another folder. I tried importing some new images and they ended up not in the Temporary folder but in the big folder that contains it. I tried to fix this and messed up everything. Now, when I open LR, all images are gone and I was asked to import to get started. In the left column under Macintosh HD, I was able to find the My Lightroom Photos folder with all the subfolders. I check the subfolders and the are up to date. The interesting thing is the if I click open the main My Lightroom Photos, all the images show that are untitled, while the images in the subfolders are all properly titles. I didn't see any of the Collection folders I had set up in the column. I have no idea what would happen if I choose one folder and click Import. I sense this not the way to restore everything. I was able to find in the left column also a couple of Catalogue Backups. The most recent one was dated 8/23 which is quite up-to-date, for since then I have added only two new images I can import again. Is this the way to go? I believe you can go back to another catalogue, but I am not in the catalogue. So I am at a loss. Any helpful will be greatly appreciated.

There are others here who are much more able to help you than I can (I use Windows, not Mac).

First advice, do not import anything again. That will make matters worse.

It would be helpful if you could post a screen-shot of the problem(s).

I don't understand your workflow using a temporary folder, I never do that but perhaps others do. Can you expand a little more how you get images from the camera/memory card into the right folder structure in LR on your Mac. Eg, do you use a card reader? Do you let LR move your images?

I believe you can go back to another catalogue, but I am not in the catalogue.
You are always in the catalog. Lightroom cannot run without a catalog and everything you see on your screen is that catalog. There is a panel called 'Catalog' with some default collections, but that doesn't mean that those collections are the only thing that's in the catalog and any other panel is not in the catalog. When you are using Lightroom, you're in the catalog.

If you want to go back to a backup (which may be a good idea), then you'll have to quit Lightroom, find the latest backup, unzip it and then replace your current catalog file(s) with the backup file(s). Then start Lightroom again.

There is potential for much confusion here. The Cloud based version of Lightroom on a computer is v5.5 The ancient, obsolete version of the locally base Lightroom is v5.7. I make the assumption that you are running the perpetual license version 5.7 and if that is the case then you have probably open a new empty or older copy go your current catalog. Can you find the latest catalog file that you were using before you had this problem?

First, response to LRList001. My work flow: I import exclusively JPEG shots from my iPhone. The reason all shots go to a Temporary folder 1st is that from there I can send them to various folders that show the location at which the shots were made. All my folders are labeled with the name of a city. Wonder how you import your images if you have a whole batch of them all mixed together. I took a couple of screenshots. The second one shows what it look life after I clicked import. But I have trouble attaching the files, so you may not even see them. Sorry about this.

Responding to Johan and Cletus, I think going back to the latest backup is the way to go. Yes, I have that backup, but I am not sure how you do it. I probably can find the info online, but if you give me some instructions, that'll save me time. (Not knowing LR enough and having blundered many time, you become afraid of trying anything on your own.) Thanks.

Yes, I have that backup, but I am not sure how you do it. I probably can find the info online, but if you give me some instructions, that'll save me time. (Not knowing LR enough and having blundered many time, you become afraid of trying anything on your own.) Thanks.
I believe I already gave the answer:
If you want to go back to a backup (which may be a good idea), then you'll have to quit Lightroom, find the latest backup, unzip it and then replace your current catalog file(s) with the backup file(s). Then start Lightroom again.

Johan, I just got your latest response as I was typing the message below. See what you think.

In LR, under File I clicked Open Catalogue and found the backup catalogue to go back to. I relaunched it and it took quite a while to show up on screen. It's the right backup all right. The only thing missing are again all my custom folders I had set up under Collection in the left column, so I haven't pressed Import yet. I believe Import here means that all I see would now be copied into LR, not sending everything to my Temporary folder where new images are copies to each time I clicked Import. (I did see your instructions, but wasn't sure about the little steps. I watched 3 YouTube videos and saw three different ways. What I did above on my own was again different.)

A correction. I am confused. The backup I want is dated 8/23. The trouble occurred yesterday on 9/8. Since I didn't back up yesterday, I chose the last backup I saw, assuming it's the 8/23 one, not realizing that the back up I relaunched is dated 9/8. How could this happen? I think I should go back and start all over again.

Ok, I am back in business. I guess I was in the wrong place to find the 9/8 backup. Went to Finder, found the 8/23 backup, didn't see the 9/8 backup there. Click on that I was back instantly. No Import to click on. The best thing from now on for me is not to do anything hasty. Thank you all so much!

Good to hear. One thing to keep in mind: you may have noticed that my instructions on how to use a backup were different. I suggested to replace you current catalog file with the backup (I said you needed to unzip the backup first, but I didn’t realise we were talking about the ancient Lightroom 5, that did not yet zip backups) and then start Lightroom. I did not suggest to use ‘Open Catalog‘ from the Lightroom menu and navigate to the backup from within that menu. The reason is two fold.
First of all, if you start using a backup catalog the way you did, it means that you are now using a catalog that is buried somewhere inside the ‘Backups’ folder hierarchy rather than in the main folder. That is not a problem, but it could lead to confusion if you need to do something with catalogs later. For example when you want to clean up old backups. Just be aware of that.
And secondly, if you replace your main catalog file by a backup, then Lightroom can continue to use the previews and any smart previews you may have. If you start using a catalog in a different folder however, then Lightroom will have to rebuild the previews from scratch because they have not been backed up to that same folder. Smart previews are not in your backup folder either, so they too will have to be rebuilt if you want to have smart previews again.

Johan, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. To be honest, my understanding is so limited that I wasn't able to comprehend easily what you already knew. I believe one of the videos I watched did show replacing the catalog file with the backup, but I wasn't even aware that it's a different way from what I had done. The video went by pretty quickly and I wasn't able to catch all the steps. Can I still go back to your way? I suppose rebuilding previews just takes a little more time. Smart previews I have never used before. So I can remain where I am now, since I don't foresee doing anything with the catalogs later. You mention cleaning up old backups can lead to confusion. Right now I just go to the Backups folder, open it, and delete any older files, so I wonder how confusion can come about.

The only problem is that because of the way you switched to a backup catalog, your current catalog is now somewhere in some backup folder rather than in the root of the catalog folder. When you make a backup again, it may become difficult to see what is the main catalog and what is the latest backup. You can move the catalog file manually and then start Lightroom by double clicking it in its new location. You only need to do this once to let Lightroom know where it is.

All my folders are labeled with the name of a city. Wonder how you import your images if you have a whole batch of them all mixed together.

I use a card reader, copy all the files into a folder that starts with a unique, incrementing number and then is followed by a (very) brief précis of the contents. I use the power of a relational database to organise the images. Ie, I don't really care where they are on the PC (they all sit under a single 'top level' LR folder, the next level is the year, then each import directory), I don't use the folder structure of the PC to catalogue my images. (I add a new folder each year to make it easier to backup the image files, I archive the previous year(s) and daily auto backup all new files found in the current year.)

Johan, I think I kinda understand what you are saying. As you know, I went back to my backup of 8/23. The disappearance of the contents happened on 9/8. I didn't have a chance to back up the catalog. It's actually the same as the 8/23 one. Anyway, I opened up the Backup folder in Finder again and saw a backup file dated 9/9. Don't ask me how it got there. I double clicked on that and I believe LR is updated. So I am all up-to-date now, right? I believe what meant by "current catalog" was the latest catalog.

Responding to LRList001, thanks for sharing your way of importing. I guess we all have our own way of organizing our work flow. I am sure if someone who knows more looks at how I do things can show me how I can do everything more effectively and efficiently. Happy photographing!

Johan, I think I kinda understand what you are saying. As you know, I went back to my backup of 8/23. The disappearance of the contents happened on 9/8. I didn't have a chance to back up the catalog. It's actually the same as the 8/23 one. Anyway, I opened up the Backup folder in Finder again and saw a backup file dated 9/9. Don't ask me how it got there. I double clicked on that and I believe LR is updated. So I am all up-to-date now, right? I believe what meant by "current catalog" was the latest catalog.
I don’t think we’re talking about the same thing. Yes, you were up to date and you are up to date. That was not my point. My point was that you are now using a catalog that is buried somewhere in a backup folder hierarchy, rather than located in the root of the catalog folder. That could be confusing. And please don’t double click backups for no reason, because that will make Lightroom once again switch to another backup catalog file! Do you have Victoria’s free eBook? Even though that deals with a much newer version of Lightroom Classic than the Lightroom you use, you may still learn a bit about the general things, like how to organize your catalog and when to use a backup.

Johan, I do have Victoria's paper back book LIGHTROOM 5, the missing FAQ. I can look at it again.
I am attaching a screenshot of the page showing the Backups. It shows the 2022-09-11 1137 backup I am using. I guess I should make that my Lightroom 5 Catalog.ircat? If so, can you tell me what I should click or do?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.38.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.38.04 PM.png
    171.4 KB · Views: 78
Yes, my advice would be to overwrite the Lightroom 5 catalog that is directly in the root of the catalog folder (and has a modification date of August 9) with that backup. Then double click this catalog so Lightroom knows where it is. You can delete the temporary import data files.

Johan. Thanks. I haven't done anything yet until I know all the steps. I am on an Apple MacBook Pro. When I clicked on the 2022-09-11 1137 backup 1st, it happened so quickly that a copy of the main catalog appeared right away under the 2022-07-29 2237 backup (see new screenshot). I really don't know what happened. Since I don't need that old backup, I probably can delete it without affecting the present main catalog. Is overwriting a copy-and-paste procedure or do you just drag the backup on top of the main catalog? Do I need to rename any files? Sorry I have to ask you such questions as I have not anything like this before. I'd appreciate that you would reveal all the mechanical steps I need to take in completing the overwriting.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 9.28.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 9.28.14 PM.png
    490.7 KB · Views: 97
When I clicked on the 2022-09-11 1137 backup 1st, it happened so quickly that a copy of the main catalog appeared right away under the 2022-07-29 2237 backup (see new screenshot).
That's not a new copy. That is just the folder that is now expanded rather than collapsed, so you now see the contents of the folder. Maybe you should get some book about how MacOS works if this is something you did not know.

Is overwriting a copy-and-paste procedure or do you just drag the backup on top of the main catalog? Do I need to rename any files?
Just drag and drop and no, you do not have to rename the files. Please show a screenshot of the entire 'Catalog' folder, not small cut-off shots of parts of it. The catalog should ideally be directly in that folder, and so far all your screenshots only show (parts of) the Backups folder that is inside this folder.

Johan, I have attached another screenshot with all the folders open. I hope this is what you meant by the entire Catalog folder. I notice that the individual subfolders in the Backups folder are not in line with the LR 5 Catalog.lrcat folder below. Am I to drag the last subfolder 2022-09-11 1137 (which includes the LR 5 Catolog.lrcat) and drop it over the LR 5 Catolog.lrcat folder directly below it? If so, what would happen next? Will I be asked what to do?

OK, I think I got it. I never was aware that there is a copy of the catalog inside each back up folder. So all the time I wondered about how to drop a back up file onto the catalog file which has an entirely different name. That's why I was puzzled by what you asked me to do. It's by accident that I clicked open a back up file and saw that it basically is a catalog. Now I am pretty sure that I am to drag that catalog in the chosen backup folder and and drop it on the existing catalog. I believe I would be asked if I want to replace it and I should say yes. If you think I am on track now, let me know and I'll close the case.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 9.43.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 9.43.24 PM.png
    263.9 KB · Views: 94
OK, for some reason the root of the catalog folder does not contain a catalog file any more. The only thing that is directly in this folder is that Backups folder. That means that you do not have to overwrite anything. You can just move your current catalog file and its previews, so it will reside directly in the catalog folder and not in the Backups subfolder. Looking at the modification dates, it looks like that is the catalog file inside the ‘2022-09-09 1700’ folder. So drag & drop these two files onto the ‘Catalog’ folder icon. Then double click this catalog file to let Lightroom know where it is.

Johan, another screenshot to show you. I replaced the LR Catalog with the one from the backup folder as you suggested. Double clicked and you can see that it's locked. No problem. The problem came when I move the Previews catalog. I dropped in place and got the notice that says it cannot be opened (see screenshot), so I clicked cancel for the time being. How do I do now. Also, I don't remember seeing the LR 5 Catalog.lrcat-journal file there before.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 9.04.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 9.04.09 PM.png
    275 KB · Views: 90
First of all, you have not done what I suggested. The catalog you try to open is still inside the Backups folder, so you did not drop it onto the ‘Catalog’ folder icon as I suggested. Next thing is that you should not double click the previews.lrdata file. I did not suggest that either. Just double click the catalog (.lrcat) file.

The catalog you try to open is still inside the Backups folder, so you did not drop it onto the ‘Catalog’ folder icon as I suggested.
Johan, I did exactly what you suggested. As you see, the 2022-09-09 1700 backup folder you suggested I use is open and empty. The Catalog.lrcat inside was dropped onto the Catalog.lrcat at the root below and I clicked yes to replacement. Perhaps you were looking at the 2022-09-11 1137 backup folder above which is open showing its copy of Catalog.lrcat inside? After replacement, I double clicked it as you suggested yesterday, so I believe that catalog is all taken care of.

Next thing is that you should not double click the previews.lrdata file. I did not suggest that either. Just double click the catalog (.lrcat) file.
If you read my response carefully, you'll see that I said I double-clicked the catalog file, not the previews one. The previews I thought I didn't finishing its replacement, as the notice in the screenshot came up telling me that no application is set to open the Catalog Previews.lrdata. So I clicked cancel. What's interesting is I no longer see the LR Catalog Previews. lrdata from the backup file in the list anymore and the one listed in the root dated Aug. 9, 2121 previously, which you can see in the earlier screenshot, is now showing the time "Today at 9:01 PM," the time I was trying to replace it. Could this mean that the replacement has already been done? I wasn't asked whether I want to replace it though. Perhaps that notice I got was because I absent-mindedly double clicked on it, letting me know I just can't open that kind of file? (BTW, the last two new files titled LR 5 Catalog.lrcat-journal and LR 5 Catalogl.lrcat.lock that appeared at the replacement time probably are not anything significant.)

Johan, I did exactly what you suggested. As you see, the 2022-09-09 1700 backup folder you suggested I use is open and empty. The Catalog.lrcat inside was dropped onto the Catalog.lrcat at the root below and I clicked yes to replacement. Perhaps you were looking at the 2022-09-11 1137 backup folder above which is open showing its copy of Catalog.lrcat inside? After replacement, I double clicked it as you suggested yesterday, so I believe that catalog is all taken care of.
All I can say is that your screenshot suggests otherwise. It suggests that the catalog is now at the root of the Backups folder, not at the root of the Catalog folder.
If you read my response carefully, you'll see that I said I double-clicked the catalog file, not the previews one.
Again your screenshot suggests otherwise. The error message clearly says that there is no application to open ‘Lightroom 5 Catalog Previews.lrdata’. You will get such message if you double click that file, period.

I suggest we finish this discussion. I have explained that it’s better to have your working catalog at the root of the catalog folder, and I have explained how to do that. I have also explained it is no big deal if you have the catalog elsewhere, it‘s just that it might be confusing if you ever need to use another backup. I have nothing more to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back