Lightroom 5 and Photoshop Camera Raw Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grayson

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hi:

I am currently running Lightroom 5.7 and Camera Raw 8.7, and Photoshop CS6.

There was a recent Camera Raw update in Photoshop CS6 (I think to version 9.xxx). Immediately after that, when I edit a Lightroom 5 raw file in Photoshop, the Photoshop image looks very washed out.

Can you someone please tell me what is happening? Is this because of the new Camera Raw Update?

Thanks in advance.

It shouldn't be due to the ACR update, although anything's possible. Have you double checked your External Editing color space and Photoshop's Color Settings match? And do you get the same problem if you export the photo and then open it into PS manually?

Hi Victoria:

I checked the External Editing color space in Lr 5. It shows 16-bit ProPhoto RGB. Color Settings in Ps CS6 shows ProPhoto RGB. If I export the photo using PSD and then open it manually in Ps, the image looks essentially identical to the Lr image

I'll add it to my to do list to test here, but it might take me a while. Anyone else with CS6/ACR9 and LR5 installed that could give it a try please?

Oh, one off the wall question - which camera?

Either a Nikon D4 or a D810. How would you recommend that I resolve the situation? Upgrade to Lightroom 6, which presumably uses ACR9?

Either a Nikon D4 or a D810. How would you recommend that I resolve the situation? Upgrade to Lightroom 6, which presumably uses ACR9?
Yes, LR6.1 uses the same ACR engine as ACR9.1. If you think that you will update to LR6 eventually, then update now and this issue will go away.

Well the plot thickens.

I upgraded to Lr 6. The problem is still there, even after restarting after installation of Lr6. What gives?

Hi Victoria:

You're a genius! I have gone back and checked the images. I shoot with a D4, D800 and D810. It is only with the D810 that the images are washed out. Is there any easy way to select the D810 images only in Lightroom to attach the Adobe Standard Picture Control to them?

Is it only happened with the D810? I'm guessing this is related to the D810 Adobe Standard profile being missing in ACR 9.1. https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/k...e-nikon-d810-adobe-standard-color-profil.html
If the file looks fine in LR6 but not when sent to PSCC2015, I would think the problem is not the missing camera profile called Adobe Standard. I thought about this possibility when Grayson said the PS image looked washed out. But I discounted the possibility since the LR image would have been "washed out" too. The first D810 Camera Profile listed when the Adobe Standard is missing is called "Camera Flat" (this could be perceived as washed out.) I have a D810 but I don't have PS13 (CS6). So I can't test what you (Grayson) are seeing. It is an easy matter to check in LR in the camera Calibration panel to see the Profile being used. It is not so easy to check in PS since ACR window is bypassed when the LR adjustments are sent with the RAW data. (at least that is what I experience in PSCC2015.)

When using the Edit In Function to call PS13, are you creating a TIFF/PSD intermediate file with LR adjustments or are you sending the NEF and letting PS13 pick up the LR Adjustments from the LR app?

Perfect, yes, that makes sense.

Grayson wouldn't have seen the washed out version in Lightroom because he was using LR4, and since ACR 9.1 was current, it would have passed the raw file. So yes, if you follow the instructions in the link, that'll put the Adobe Standard profile back. And you can use the Metadata Filters to find the D810 photos to be able to apply Adobe Standard again. Shout if you need step by step instructions on filtering, just ask.

Hi Victoria:

Actually I was using Lr5, but it was still using the ACR8 engine, so your logic is correct. I am away on assignment for the balance of today, but I will implement the fix later this evening (I'm EST). I have about 40 images that I had to monkey around with and have already been finished having this problem. I should have inquired earlier on when I noticed the problem immediately after updating PS CS6 to ACR9. Without sounding like a pr*ck, what the hell are the Abode engineers doing when they roll out their software? The D810 is not a very new product?

Hi Victoria:

Actually I was using Lr5, but it was still using the ACR8 engine, so your logic is correct. I am away on assignment for the balance of today, but I will implement the fix later this evening (I'm EST). I have about 40 images that I had to monkey around with and have already been finished having this problem. I should have inquired earlier on when I noticed the problem immediately after updating PS CS6 to ACR9. Without sounding like a pr*ck, what the hell are the Abode engineers doing when they roll out their software? The D810 is not a very new product?
The Adobe Standard profile got left out of the file inclusion list when LR6.1 was assembled. This is a clerical error not a technical one. The Adobe Standard Profile that you will be manually including in the support folder is exactly the same file that is in your 5.7 package. You will be copying it to the location in LR6 where the app is expected to look for it.

What I don't understand is why when you upgraded to LR6.1, the view of the D810 image in LR also did not become washed out.

Last edited:
Hi everyone:

I installed the Nikon D810 Adobe Standard Color Profile in Camera Raw. When I went ahead and checked multiple D810 images, they all rendered properly in Photoshop. I didn't have to reattach the Adobe Standard Color Profile. Do you think it is still necessary to reattach the profile to all the D810 images?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back