• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom 5.7 won't rename files

Status
Not open for further replies.

pn1

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I've had a few issues since the advent of Windows 10 and seem to have worked through most of them.

But the latest is that the file rename function no longer works.

I've been using Lightroom for some time and generally satisfied.

I consider myself a reasonably competent user but always keep in mind "a little knowledge sometimes is worse than none at all".

Paul in Australia

Welcome to the forum.

You'll have to supply more information. Which rename are you attempting? On import, Library->Rename photo, or renaming in the Metadata panel? Exactly what happens when you try? Do you get an error message?

For instance, I took 31 pictures on April 18.

I was able to import them OK.

But in Library > Rename photo

If I select the 31 pictures I get the following message:

"These files were not renamed because they were either missing, were not writable or had naming conflicts."

If I select a single picture I get the following message:

"The file named "(name of file)" could not be renamed."

"These files were not renamed because they were either missing, were not writable or had naming conflicts."
Your options are very clear.
  1. Look in the folder where LR thinks the file is located to see if the file is present.
  2. If the file is present, do you have write permissions to the folder and the files in it?
  3. Look at your naming template to make sure that you are not trying to do something silly like name all of the files with the same name.
Hal asked for the naming template that you are attempting to use. Can you post that here so that we can look for naming errors?

Have you been able to rename files since you switched to Windows 10? It sounds as though you/Lightroom doesn't have Read/Write permission on the drive or folder containing your images.

Thanks for the help so far.

Yes, I confirmed that the folder where my pictures are located was "read only" and I believe I've fixed that.

But still the same problem remains.

I have attempted to use a custom preset that has worked well for several years. Not sure how I copy that to display here. But tried one of the standard presets just now and had the same result.

So my problem remains as initially reported. Thanks again for the help so far.

You say you 'believe' that you fixed the problem that the folder was read-only. Could it be that you didn't fix it after all? Could it be that these pictures are inside a subfolder that isn't fixed as well?

Yes it seems my folders and files are all read only and that access is denied to change that. I need to run as administrator but not sure how to do that.

Thank you; but what application do I need to run as administrator to be able to make the changes. I am beginning to wonder if it would be better to call my technician as I am very conscious of my little (but limited) knowledge possibly being dangerous.

If your images are on an EHD that came from another Windows computer, you make need to take ownership of the External Hard Drive to get the permissions. Your user ID (if you are the only user) should be an administrator to the computer unless it is controlled by some corporate IT staff.

Thanks for the tips everyone; I took the soft option and got my local technician to have a look and he's fixed it all.

Now I'm back with Lightroom 5.7; can't use anything later because my main computer is 32. Just discovered, however, my laptop is 64! Still not sure about 32 and 64 but again a little knowledge can be dangerous?

Next issue to resolve is working with Lightroom and Onedrive but I should save that for another question in another thread eh?

Thanks to the person who spotted my profile picture on a train (in Brisbane). I have more than 60,000 pictures on Lightroom, the majority being transport subjects from my travels in different parts of the world.

Paul in Melbourne, Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back