Lightroom 5.7 running very slow on files that I used the brush tool extensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Cicchine

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I am running LR 5.7 on a 2014 15 inch MacBook Pro. OS Yosemite, 16 GB of Ram, 2.6 GHz. inTel Core i7 Processor. I plan to finally upgrade my OS and LR in a few months. I noticed during the last several days if I do local enhancements with the brush tool like I recently highlighted then enhanced the ceiling of a Cathedral I noticed that if I want to enlarge the photo or zoom in to it it takes several minutes. I estimate about 5 minutes. Then as time goes by like a few days it still takes about a half a minute but I feel that is too long. Also the most recent photos I worked on when I tried to export them to OnOne as a plug in to enhance what I was not able to do in LR even after 10 minutes the file will not go. This is only on files that I used the brush too to enhance quite a bit. Not for small enhancements. They too are a little slow but not very slow. My photos are stored on a 4 TB G Tech HD that has in it 3.55 TB of data on it and my Catalog in on another seperate HD. A G Tech 4 TB HD with a total amount of data of about 675 GB on it. I have read that as a HD approaches maximum capacity it slows down and can slow down LR. Could that be the reason? I am also now in the process of moving the Folder to the HD that has the Catalog on it because it has more space on it to see if it makes a difference. I would appreciate any help. Thank You very much. John

LR is not a very good editor when it comes to local adjustments. If you need performance, use a layers editor such as PS.

Thank You very much for your advice. As long as I now know that there is nothing wrong with my computer or HD's I feel better.

I think you should use Photo shop instead of Light room. If you are having problem with noise reduction then Light room would be the best option.

Hi Mariah. Thank You very much for your advice. I hear from others too that Photoshop would be faster but I must tell you for me the learning curve for Photoshop is very very steep and I am having great difficulty grasping it. What works best for me is Lightroom with Plug Ins. Hopefully one day I will have a better understanding of Photoshop and in the meantime I will just try my best in dealing with this in Lightroom. Thanks again for your help.

John, you are not alone! After several attempts, I have given up on Photoshop. Lightroom is now so good (admittedly I'm on the subscription version) that I need less and less to go to a pixel editor

John, you are not alone! After several attempts, I have given up on Photoshop. Lightroom is now so good (admittedly I'm on the subscription version) that I need less and less to go to a pixel editor

Thank You very much for sharing your thoughts. Lightroom and plugins is what works best for me my friend. I also heard somewhere that the best Photoshop Pros know up to about 40% of Photoshop. And the rest only know what they need to know. Thanks again for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back