Status
Not open for further replies.

Rita Analise

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
4.x
Operating System: OS X 10.8.5
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Lightroom version: 4.4 [891433]
Dear Nikon Lightroom users!

I currently own a Nikon D700 which I have now had since it was new back in 2008. I would dearly love to get my hands on a beautiful Nikon d810… was about to purchase one on the weekend, but I discovered that my Lightroom 4.4 is not compatible with the files from this camera. Is there anyone out there in Lightroom userland that can help me?

Some further info: I have a 27inch iMac, Mid 2011 with 20gb memory were I have OS X 10.8.5 operating system.

I downloaded a newer Camera Raw which allowed me to at least open the Nikon d810 NEF files and converted them to DNGs and then at least bring them into Lightroom 4.4. However my Lightroom 4.4 Camera Calibration only shows the Process: 2012 and Profile as Adobe Standard.

Besides doing something drastic like buying a new computer and subscribing to the latest AdobeCC is there anything I can do to update Lightroom 4.4 Camera Calibration to use with NikonD810?

Have tried calling Adobe and they just told me to go the forums!!

Please please help! Thanks in advance…;)

Hi Rita, welcome to the forums!

Checking Cameras supported by Camera Raw, you need Camera Raw 8.6 or newer for the D810. That version is supported by LR 5.6 and newer only, so while you can (as you figured out) convert the NEF files to DNG, I don't think you'll be able to use the D810-specific camera calibration without upgrading LR.

But I must confess I'm not an expert on this, so perhaps someone else will chime in with some other options.

I downloaded a newer Camera Raw which allowed me to at least open the Nikon d810 NEF files and converted them to DNGs and then at least bring them into Lightroom 4.4. However my Lightroom 4.4 Camera Calibration only shows the Process: 2012 and Profile as Adobe Standard.
I'm not sure what you mean here? Camera Raw is a plug-in for Photoshop, and doesn't run as a stand-alone program. Or did you mean the free Adobe DNG Converter? That IS a stand-alone program which will convert your files to DNG, which LR4.x will be able to process, and which should also give you access to the camera-matching profiles in the Camera Calibration panel in LR's Develop module when you import the converted DNGs.

I have a 27inch iMac, Mid 2011 with 20gb memory were I have OS X 10.8.5 operating system.
You should probably update the OS to High Sierra (10.13.x) It is free and your Mid 2011 iMac is supported. Then you could upgrade LR to the final standalone release LR6.13 or when you are ready a Lightroom subscription.

I'm not sure what you mean here? Camera Raw is a plug-in for Photoshop, and doesn't run as a stand-alone program. Or did you mean the free Adobe DNG Converter? That IS a stand-alone program which will convert your files to DNG, which LR4.x will be able to process, and which should also give you access to the camera-matching profiles in the Camera Calibration panel in LR's Develop module when you import the converted DNGs.

Jim, if you use the DNG converter, do you still have access to the Camera Calibration settings that are specific to the camera, even if LR itself doesn't support that version of Camera Raw?

Yes, I think so (I certainly did when I checked).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back