Lightroom 3 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

sizzlingbadger

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I have just been to the Adobe Downloads Page for Lightroom 2 and all the text now refers to Lightroom 3. Still can't download it yet though, the actual download option is still LR 2.

All installed and working fine. Its now available at the USA website too. Now we just need Adobe to update the User Manual from the Beta version :)

For those interested I moved from a Beta catalog. I started up LR3 and opened the Beta catalog and then did an export as catalog to make sure it was clean and free from any Beta rubbish. Then I opened the new catalog and worked from that. Settings attached.

It will create a new catalog from your version 2 catalog so that you can still use version 2 - Read the release notes it explains all :)

Upgrade Notes
• To update your Lightroom 1 or Lightroom 2 catalog simply launch Lightroom 3 and you will be able to select and upgrade your previous Lightroom catalog.
• The Lightroom 3 catalog upgrade process does not erase or remove your previous Lightroom catalogs. If you wish to try the Lightroom 3 3'-day trial by upgrading your existing catalog, you may always return to earlier versions of Lightroom and continue using your previous catalog.
o o
NOTE: Any changes or work completed in your catalog once it has been upgraded to work with Lightroom 3 will not be available in previous versions of Lightroom. NOTE: The upgrade process will modify the image preview information of an upgraded catalog.(This information is stored in the .lrdata file that is located adjacent to a catalog file in the file system) Returning to a previous version of Lightroom will require that the previews be re-rendered. This can be a lengthy process for those with hundreds of thousands of images.
• Upgrading a Library from Photoshop Elements 6, Photoshop Elements 7 or Photoshop Elements 8 for Windows requires that Photoshop Elements be installed on the computer at the time of upgrade.
• Lightroom 3 beta catalogs may be upgraded using the same methods available for Lightroom 1 or Lightroom 2 catalogs.
• If you attempt to upgrade the same Lightroom catalog more than once, Lightroom will inform you of the location of the previously upgraded catalog.

Well, here in California(the land of the Terminator), I sure do not see LR3. I am looking at Adobe's official site: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/ . I guess I will just wait and see.

Bob- the slide shooter at heart

Re: Lightroom 3 Released Will the trial be full feature when Key is entered?

If I download LR 3 now and then purchase it in a week will I have to uninstall the trial or will I just need to enter the key?

Gots mine this evening. :)

Of all the LR upgrades, this was the smoothest.

Does the release version have any features not already in the beta?

Yes - LENS CORRECTIONS!!!!!! And a few other minor bits and pieces. There's a list of the changes on my blog.

When I hit the 'try' button on the official Adobe LR webpage, Adobe forwards me to a page mentioning both LR2 and LR3. When I download the file and press install, it says I am installing Lightroom 2.7. What am I doing wrong? Quite frustrating..

Thanks Victoria. The detail in your blog is absolutely excellent and extremely informative. It highlights little extras which I might have overlooked! I'm off to download.

For Uk based readers, my son is off to Download - it looks like he's going to experience a real festival for once - rain, thunder, more rain and clouds! (For people elsewhere, Download is a rock music festival).

Patrick Cunningham

Upgrading from LR2 to LR3, I gather all the plugins, etc. have to be reinstalled? (Why can't Adobe handle this in the upgrade, at least offer us the choice to have it done?) Any suggestions as to the easiest way to accomplish this?

Easiest way - keep them all in the same place.

Victoria-I'm not understanding "keep them in the same place". I have not done anything to LR2 or its associated files. I do want to get rid of LR2 itself, but I'd like to have the presets and plugins I installed in LR2 available in LR3. Are you saying I really don't have to do anything (other than dragging LR2 app to the trash), that LR3 will automatically find and use them? Perhaps it's just a question of LR file structure, but I was assuming the add-ons were "attached" to LR2 and I would need to get them over to LR3.Thanks,Rick

Sorry, let me clarify. I mean if you download plug-ins to various folders all over your computer and install them in those locations, you then have quite a job to go find them all. Instead, I'd suggest creating a 'plugins' folder next to the presets folders and keeping all of your plug-ins in the same place. I can't remember offhand whether the upgrade remembers which plug-ins you previously had installed, but having them all in one place makes them very quick to install if it doesn't.

It remembered my plugins when I upgraded.

I just did it. I had hiccups though; when it first opened it partly crashed the computer. I re-started the computer, then I got a Windows message saying the other program was busy or something. I re-booted twice and tried opening LR3 three times with varying levels of success. It all seems to be running fine now though.

And I've been playing with the noise reduction. Wow! At last it works exactly as I always thought it should - I can actually see the noise disappear as I move the sliders. I'm very happy!

Patrick Cunningham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back