• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom 2 fails to load

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbartist

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 2
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Lightroom 2 fails to load

Hi kbartist, welcome to the forum!

Lightroom 2 was released in 2008, so I'm not overly surprised when you're using it with an operating system from 2018. A lot has changed in that time.

That said, was it working for you previously on this device? And I guess I should also ask, was this the "original" Lightroom 2, or the more recent cloud-based version?

Hi kbartist, welcome to the forum!

Lightroom 2 was released in 2008, so I'm not overly surprised when you're using it with an operating system from 2018. A lot has changed in that time.

That said, was it working for you previously on this device? And I guess I should also ask, was this the "original" Lightroom 2, or the more recent cloud-based version?
Thank you for answering, Vistoria. I didn't give you enough information but I bet you can help me, I've struggled with this for years. I'm currently using Lightrooom Classic. My problem is that when the original Lr2 was replaced with Lr6 and newer, all my photos became unavailable. Am I correct to assume that I would still have to have Lr2 installed in order to open them? There were thousands of photos lost. Many were on a previous computer, but when I migrated everything to this one, shouldn't they have come too? But I can't open them when I find one.

No don’t worry, even the current Lightroom Classic 11.5 can open catalogs back to the original 1.0 so no need to try to run LR2. Which version are you using now? Classic started at 7.0, but a lot of people call the legacy 1.0-6.14 Classic, which just adds to the confusion.

Migration between computers is a whole different issue. If you transferred the original images or if you have backups, it’s fixable. Some people think that old images are “in” Lightroom, and that’s where we run into issues.

No don’t worry, even the current Lightroom Classic 11.5 can open catalogs back to the original 1.0 so no need to try to run LR2. Which version are you using now? Classic started at 7.0, but a lot of people call the legacy 1.0-6.14 Classic, which just adds to the confusion.

Migration between computers is a whole different issue. If you transferred the original images or if you have backups, it’s fixable. Some people think that old images are “in” Lightroom, and that’s where we run into issues.
11.5 release of LrC That's good news. I guess the problem then is that I can't identify the old stuff. When I installed the newer versions I always lost catalogs of photos, they would not appear in the new Lightroom. Guess I need to know where they are.

Ken, I have Victoria Bampton working with me. Thanks!
Unless Victoria has been working with you via Private Message, you can expect to have any of the moderators, administrators or gurus to help out and answer questions. As we are all volunteers, we try to work as a team to make sure folks get their questions answered. If you ever get an answer that you have questions about or feel is contradictory to what you were previously advised, it is fine to post and ask for clarification.

--Ken

11.5 release of LrC That's good news. I guess the problem then is that I can't identify the old stuff. When I installed the newer versions I always lost catalogs of photos, they would not appear in the new Lightroom. Guess I need to know where they are.
Newer versions of LR Classic (and legacy versions as well) will always create a new copy when they are asked to open a catalog from an older version so that original catalog is never modified. I would suggest that you may want to search your computer for all of the catalogs and backups that you have.

Also note that if you have different versions of LR installed on your machine that if you open a catalog, it will open the version of LR that it was created in. So, if you have LR6.x and want to keep using it, I would suggest finding all of the catalogs that you have, open them from within LR6.x and when it creates a copy for LR6.x, give it a name that indicates that it is an LR6 catalog. Once you have done this successfully, you can take all of the old catalogs and store them and just work off of the newly created copies in LR6. If you decide to upgrade to LR Classic (the subscription model), you can do exactly the same but use this version instead of LR6.x.

Hope this helps,

--Ken

Please can you open Lightroom, go to Help > System Info and paste the opening lines here. That will tell us the actual version of Lightroom in use and also the macOS version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back