• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom 10 corrupts catalog in conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBC

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 10.0
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I upgraded on Windows 10 to the latest LR Classic, v. 10, and my new catalog works just fine. My husband did the same thing, and when he went to open the new catalog (I tell him to always open it from its location the first time after installing an upgrade), he is told that his new catalog is corrupted and to try to fix it. Of course, it will not fix, so I have had him revert to the previous version, then open up the previous catalog, and everything works just fine. Thank heavens, he had backed it up, just in case. After rebooting the computer, and trying again, same corrupted file message. He went through the above again, and the earlier catalog works just fine.

Victoria knows I teach Lightroom classes, and we really need to get this solved so my husband can help me when needed.

Thanks, I hope,

TBC

Help me understand. The master catalog from v9.x refused to convert and open in v10. The latest v9.x backup did convert and open once but not the second time, forcing a return to the latest v9.x backup and convert.
If the converted catalog is indeed the correct conversion version (the catalog name has had “-10” added to the catalog name and this is a repeatable even, I could use a copys of the “System info...” (in the help menu) pasted into a return reply. I need to know more about the Windows version.

The v9.4 catalog never has an issue and always opens, whenever we try it. When converted to 10.0, it claimed it was corrupted and offered a repair fix that, of course, did not work. Uninstall 10.0 through Creative Cloud, reinstall 9.4, and all is well! My wonderful husband is a computer Luddite, so he even knows how to do a screen shot, but I do know he has 9.4. And remember, we are Classic, not the cloud version.

The v9.4 catalog never has an issue and always opens, whenever we try it. When converted to 10.0, it claimed it was corrupted and offered a repair fix that, of course, did not work. Uninstall 10.0 through Creative Cloud, reinstall 9.4, and all is well! My wonderful husband is a computer Luddite, so he even knows how to do a screen shot, but I do know he has 9.4. And remember, we are Classic, not the cloud version.

Almost certainly if the catalog is being flagged as corrupted in the process of converting to V10, it is already corrupted in V9, you are just not happening to hit the type/area corrupted. V10 will read the entire catalog and rewrite it, so it is, for want of a better word, more sensitive to corruption because it is thoroughly processing the catalog.

I would suggest running the verify integrity option (which is part of the catalog backup) on the V9 catalog, and I suspect it will get flagged as corrupt there as well. I suggest trying that and tackling the problem in V9 as it will be unlikely to go away on its own, even if it remains hidden.

There is of course a remote chance that the V9->V10 process is causing the corruption, but I have seen no reports of any such bug, and I think that unlikely.

We always do the verify and optimize as part of all our back-ups, so we are OK there.

Well, he copied it onto his desktop and successfully upgraded it and backed it up. I am having him open, back it up, and reopen three more times just to make sure...fingers crossed. Then, we'll move it back to its regular location, and keep our fingers and toes crossed yet again. And then, we'll delete the excess back-ups, something many people forget to do and wonder why their HDs are so full!

Thank you!

TBC

I will hold my breath until he has succeeded three times! Then, I'll be able to breath again!!!

I saw some reports of the v10 udated catalog being corrupted. Each time, the fix was to redo the update. It seems that sometimes the v10 update doesn't work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back