• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom 10.2 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockmen66

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 10.1.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I don't see the 10.2 update, has it been released yet?

I downloaded it but see no difference. I also tried two different "Performance" settings, "Auto" and "Custom" for my Radeon R9 M395 graphics processor, but neither made the scrolling any smoother.

On my Mac with latest Big Sur, moving from image to image is significant faster. Both in Grid and Loupe view. scrolling. through the filmstrip is very quick. I'm on a fairly fast MBpro with an i9 processor and upgraded GPU.

I updated from 10.0 to 10.2 this morning. I returned the GPU setting from off to auto. I closed Lightroom and restarted in case that was needed. I've only tried a few things but everything that was slow and jerky is now smooth and quick. So far I've had no freezes in the develop module. To me it feels like all is well.
(mid2010 Mac Pro, macOS 10.14.6, 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 48 GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950 3 GB)

Same on my M1 Mini. Can't wait for the Apple Silicon native mode support. The PS update jumped up the speed of Ps on my Mini.

The Lightroom Classic V10.2 is a big improvement for me. I have a Mac Pro 6,1 with 10 cores Xeon CPU, 64GB RAM, and 2TB SSD. It was very sluggish with V9.x, V10.0 and V10.1. With two 4K monitors, it was unusable. I posted my issues in this forum and was told my Mac did not have the sufficient GPUs. I was seriously thinking about upgrading my Mac Pro.

Now it works great with LR Classic V10.2 and no need for my to upgrade my computer anymore!

Is there an ETA for native mode on the M1?
If anybody here knows, they aren't allowed to say. You'll just have to be patient.

LR crashed when I went into the print module. Naturally I though it was the 10.2 update, cursed Adobe and reinstalled an earlier version. Same problem. Did some searching and found the 2019 Lightroom Queen's article on resetting preference How do I reset Lightroom's Preferences? | The Lightroom Queen . Did that and now V10.2 works like a dream. I did have some printer issues before that so I guess that mucked up the preferences. It's pity Adobe hasn't made this issue more robust.

Is there an ETA for native mode on the M1?
We now have PS, ACR and Lr (lite) running as Universal apps that can do Apple Silicon, or x86 CPUs. So indeed the missing piece is LrC. Makes you wonder what bug they have found that was not already found in the other apps.

LR crashed when I went into the print module. Naturally I though it was the 10.2 update, cursed Adobe and reinstalled an earlier version. Same problem. Did some searching and found the 2019 Lightroom Queen's article on resetting preference How do I reset Lightroom's Preferences? | The Lightroom Queen . Did that and now V10.2 works like a dream. I did have some printer issues before that so I guess that mucked up the preferences. It's pity Adobe hasn't made this issue more robust.
This is a rant..... but it really annoys me how often I see the recommendation to reset preferences to resolve various Lightroom issues. The problem is not resetting the preferences, but the effort and risks associated with trying to re configure the settings to get back to basecamp.

I seriously do not understand why Adobe do not have a reset preferences option, which protects all the user settings, but clears all the internal data in the preferences file. Computers are really good at doing boring routine jobs. Protecting the user settings in a preference file is one of those.

I seriously do not understand why Adobe do not have a reset preferences option, which protects all the user settings, but clears all the internal data in the preferences file. Computers are really good at doing boring routine jobs. Protecting the user settings in a preference file is one of those.
Good point. Did you already suggest that in the feedback forums? Please do this if you haven't done that yet, and give us the link so we can vote for this suggestion. Suggesting it only here is about as useful as writing it on a piece of paper and then throwing that paper in the trash.

Thanks for your response.

Good point. Did you already suggest that in the feedback forums? Please do this if you haven't done that yet, and give us the link so we can vote for this suggestion. Suggesting it only here is about as useful as writing it on a piece of paper and then throwing that paper in the trash.

I suggested this multiple times, sometimes getting very negative responses to the suggestion. At a certain stage I stopped making suggestions as I saw so many good suggestions in the official Adobe forum that were just sitting there and felt I was banging my head against a very hard wall.

I can see good progress by Adobe on a number of fronts in the last year or two, so I will make an effort to dig up my previous posts on this subject and repost / relink as appropriate.

The problem is not resetting the preferences, but the effort and risks associated with trying to re configure the settings to get back to basecamp.
When I recommend resetting preferences as a troubleshooting step, I point the user at the Lightroomqueen article and highlight its steps for restoring the old preferences if resetting doesn't help:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/
By saving a copy of the original preferences, the user can quickly back to status quo if resetting doesn't help (which it often doesn't).

Also, I posted a suggestion 1.5 years ago that LR should save a backup of the preferences file when the user resets them:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conv...p-of-the-preferences/5f5f46084b561a3d426f8e72

And the user would be presented with the option of restoring from a previous backup. This palliative would involve a very small amount of development effort in comparison to fixing the underlying architectural problem.

seriously do not understand why Adobe do not have a reset preferences option, which protects all the user settings, but clears all the internal data in the preferences file. Computers are really good at doing boring routine jobs. Protecting the user settings in a preference file is one of those.
Two years ago, the Adobe employee Rikk Flohr said the developers were looking at the problem of "corrupted" preferences files. Unfortunately, we've heard nothing publicly since.

I believe the underlying problem is a fundamental architectural design flaw in how LR manages preferences -- it doesn't have a mechanism for ensuring that it gets consistent snapshots of the internal state stored in the preferences file. This conclusion is based on years of experience writing plugins and experimentation with the preference mechanism exposed to plugins. See the extensive discussion starting here:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conv...3d42698021?commentId=5f5f48e34b561a3d4240e57a

We now have PS, ACR and Lr (lite) running as Universal apps that can do Apple Silicon, or x86 CPUs. So indeed the missing piece is LrC. Makes you wonder what bug they have found that was not already found in the other apps.
or is the question what sort of priority is LrC with Adobe?

or is the question what sort of priority is LrC with Adobe?
Paul,

It's my impression that Lightroom is highly profitable for Adobe. Of course, the strategic issue is relative investments in LrC vs. Lr Cloudy.

Phil

If they kill Classic, I am glad I can move to C1P. :whistling:

If they kill Classic, I am glad I can move to C1P. :whistling:
While there may not be a piece of software named "Classic" sometime in the future, I seriously doubt that Adobe would not provide a (low cost or free) migration alternative.

I really think the "kill Classic" talk borders on "fake news". We are going on 3+ years since the cloud version was introduced. Lightroom Classic is still going strong and is not considered a legacy app. Until the functionality that is in Lightroom Classic is available in Lightroom, there is no way Lightroom (cloudy) could replace Lightroom Classic. As for a "(low cost or free) migration alternative", this already exists in the Lightroom (cloudy) {File}{Migrate...} menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back