Status
Not open for further replies.

mantra

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi
i have a question about the old version lightroom 1.4.1

will there be update for the acr ? i mean will be update only for new cameras or it's dead ?

thanks

does somebody know?

I don't know for sure but I wouldn't bet on it. Just like PS CS2 doesn't support the latest cameras or the current camera raw, I wouldn't expect Adobe to upgrade what is now a older generation of its software.

At some point the Camera Raw specifications will outgrow the host software.

Will LR1 read DNG files created with the standalone DNG Converter that are made from files that were created by newer cameras? I thought that I read an article somewhere about creating DNG files with the standalone converter for cameras that were unsupported in Photoshop CS2. I don't remember the specifics, but the gist of it was that it was possible to do this. I don't know if it will work for Lightroom or not, and since I don't have PSCS2 installed any more I can't test it out there.

Good point.

When students tell me that they cannot open a CR2 or NEF file in Camera Raw my first avenue of attack is to convert to DNG using the standalone converter.

The case usually comes up because they are using a newer camera and the school has yet to upgrade to the latest version of Camera Raw on all its machines running Photoshop.

I would be willing to bet on an older version of Lightroom being able to read a DNG that was created from the latest DNG converter and camera combination despite the fact that a later version of camera Raw may not be compatible with that version of LR.

Not having a brand new camera, I cannot test.

The older versions of ACR will be able to read the dng's created by the latest DNG converter.
However the older versions of ACR will not have all the tools that LR V2 and ACR 4.5 presently have.

When Adobe brings out PS CS4 you will see ACR 5.x so maybe we might see another release of ACR 4.x before that happens. Just my opinion.

but with dng files lose some info about my raw files?

but with dng files lose some info about my raw files?

Technically not all manufacturer MakerNotes are included in DNG files - the space is there for them, but manufacturer's don't comply - but if you don't know what they are, you won't miss them.

Technically not all manufacturer MakerNotes are included in DNG files - the space is there for them, but manufacturer's don't comply - but if you don't know what they are, you won't miss them.

thanks
sorry my stupid question , but what are the makernotes ? model & camera or other important data ?

Giovanni, yes, it's a space in EXIF camera data that each camera maker uses differently. Sometimes, differently between cameras from the same maker.
Not so much 'model and camera', but settings only that camera has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back