• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Library Hashtags Gone Missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayRoper

Lightroom Version Number
Classic 11.0
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I must be missing something. The ability to add and edit hashtags in the new LR seems to have disappeared. I can't find it in the Library>Metadata>Customize and it's no longer showing anywhere else in the right-side Library panel. Where did they hide it?

Are you referring to the Instagram Metadata panel:
lrmetadatapanel.png

That panel was added by the LR/Instagram plugin, which you may have installed in the previous version of LR and may not be running at all in LR 11.

Unfortunately, Instagram deliberately changed their protocols a couple years ago to prevent access by desktop apps like LR, and the plugin stopped working for most people, and new users weren't able to get it working. Here's what it says on the plugin's web site:
1637605052311.png

Instagram recently announced that you can once again upload photos from a desktop web browser:
https://9to5mac.com/2021/10/19/instagram-now-lets-everyone-post-from-the-desktop-and-more/

so maybe the plugin's author will resurrect the plugin.

If you're thinking of something other than this plugin, please provide more details.

Yes, I think that was the source of the problem. The Instagram plugin was giving me a hashtag field in the Library panel even when I was not on the Publish Services section. The Lightroom upgrade apparently disabled that plugin (which had previously been working for me), as it now shows as "missing" in Publish Services. The weird thing is that if I do a filter on a text hashtag previously entered, the images all show up in the filter results even though the text of the hashtag is nowhere to be found in any of Lightroom's data or metadata fields. C'est la vie.

"The weird thing is that if I do a filter on a text hashtag previously entered, the images all show up in the filter results even though the text of the hashtag is nowhere to be found in any of Lightroom's data or metadata fields."

Perhaps the plugin is still installed but couldn't fully initialize. That could allow its custom metadata fields containing the hash tags to be searchable but its publishing services wouldn't be available. Do File > Plug-in Manager and select LR/Instagram. Does the Status panel show the plugin enabled or disabled? In the Plug-in Author Tools panel, are there any diagnostic messages?

The Instagram plugin is no longer listed at all in the Plug-in Manager and there are no messages in the Author Tools window. Apparently the V.11 upgrade wiped out the plug-in completely—which still leaves the mystery of why LR can find the tags using a text filter.

Apparently the V.11 upgrade wiped out the plug-in completely—which still leaves the mystery of why LR can find the tags using a text filter.
Often when you're getting unexpected search hits on strings, it's because the strings are also contained in unexpected places (collection names, other plugin metadata, folder names, etc.) -- it's hard to remember every single place to look.

Instead, download this free utility plugin, Show Catalog metadata, and install it following similar directions here. Then select one of the photos that your filter is matching and do File > Plug-in Extras > Show Catalog Metadata > Show. That will pop up a text window with nearly every metadata field in the catalog for the photo. Copy and paste the text here, or into Notepad, and search for the string.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back