Library Cannot find my Images

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version
Operating System
Windows 10
Hi all. Hope someone can assist. LR 5 is not finding my files; all I get is the file folders with a ? after each file. This is only on my 3 removable drives: the C drive in the PC is connecting to LR. LR is showing me the images but does not seem able to find them in Library. Appears to have gotten worse as I was switching (connecting) drives while I was searching for certain image files; LR only can find 3 files. The left panel can see and identify the 3 different drives but I am thinking it has mixed the E: and F: hard drives and cannot tell if the hard drive that is plugged in now (E: drive) is the same (E:) as it saw before . Very frustrating as I am unable to access years of images. Thanks.

JohanElzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
What has probably happened is that Windows assigned a different drive letter to the removable drives. What you could do to solve it right now is check which drive Lightroom thinks should have the lowest letter, and then which drive the next, etc. Then turn off your computer, disconnect the drives and reboot. Then after your computer has started up, reconnect the drives one by one in the order they should have according to Lightroom. Alternatively, you would have to 'reconnect' the folders (see below).

For or more permanent solution you may want to assign a (higher) drive letter yourself, so that the drives will always have the same letter (How to assign permanent letters to drives in Windows). Then 'reconnect' the folders in Lightroom so Lightroom knows this new letter (Lightroom thinks my photos are missing—how do I fix it? | The Lightroom Queen).